TCU tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
Woah woah woah...there's a Pure 1000 now? Where was I when this came out?

Website doesn't list a lot of info. Anyone have more info on them? Are they a drop in replacements like the Pure 900s? Or do they require modification to install?

I know you said they're similar to the turbos Yabeela sells; if I recall correctly, you can clearly tell Yabeela turbos are aftermarket just by looking under the hood (vs Pure 900s which look like factory drop-in replacements).

Also, I know it says 800rwhp on pump...but is that on a stock fuel system, including fuel pump? Cuz it was my understanding you're running outta fuel around 700rwhp...? Hence the Spool HPFP upgrade...
I assume they’re stock frame turbos like the 800’s and 900’s, and would be drop-ins, but I’d reach out to Pure to confirm along with your fueling questions.

Yabeela sells PTG turbos under their own brand name - PTG is the turbo manufacturer, and Yabeela (was) the exclusive distributor for them at the time - that’s no longer the case it seems. PTG turbos are based off Precision 58/76 ball bearing turbos, not the hybrid/stock frame turbos that Pure offers (800, 900, 1000).

PTG’s are the better buy than the 1000’s IMO because they’re priced the same, except the PTG’s don’t require your stock turbocharger cores since you’re buying brand new turbos. It’s a much better value and gives you all the headroom in the world with a modern ball bearing CHRA.

Old 09-07-2020, 10:24 PM

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
I assume they’re stock frame turbos like the 800’s and 900’s, and would be drop-ins, but I’d reach out to Pure to confirm along with your fueling questions.
Yea I'm gonna see what they say.
​​​
Yabeela sells PTG turbos under their own brand name - PTG is the turbo manufacturer, and Yabeela (was) the exclusive distributor for them at the time - that’s no longer the case it seems. PTG turbos are based off Precision 58/76 ball bearing turbos, not the hybrid/stock frame turbos that Pure offers (800, 900, 1000).
Maybe it has something to do with the bad reputation Yabeela as recently built for themselves. One can only wonder....
​​​​
​​​​​​​PTG’s are the better buy than the 1000’s IMO because they’re priced the same, except the PTG’s don’t require your stock turbocharger cores since you’re buying brand new turbos. It’s a much better value and gives you all the headroom in the world with a modern ball bearing CHRA.
Yea but if it doesn't pass a visual inspection, it's likely to cause you a much bigger headache in terms of warranty issues, IMO.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C63 S, 2011 C63 R.I.P.
Originally Posted by Wexlax732
My 2017 C63S AMG cost $1800 to tune and it was done via OBD. Yes, I had to drive to New York but it was painless and totally worth it.

Made me fall in love all over again with my C63.
where did you have it done?
Old 10-05-2021, 08:24 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
17 C63S Coupe PTG1000
It’s not completely clear but how does a TCU tune impact the 7spd MCT clutch longevity? From previous platforms, a “DCT” tune actually did not affect longevity as it optimized shift points and reduced clutch slippage even though line pressure and clamping force are increased.

Obviously power is a major factor (I’m running PTG1000’s and catless DPs) but I’m determining if doing a TCU is worth any potential risks of ripping through a transmission (only 9500 miles) at these power levels. Already had to replace a transmission (in an M3) in the last 24 months.

I just want to understand the negative impacts/risks (if any) of doing this.

Last edited by noremaC; 10-05-2021 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:40 PM

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
W205 C63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by noremaC
It’s not completely clear but how does a TCU tune impact the 7spd MCT clutch longevity? From previous platforms, a “DCT” tune actually did not affect longevity as it optimized shift points and reduced clutch slippage even though line pressure and clamping force are increased.

Obviously power is a major factor (I’m running PTG1000’s and catless DPs) but I’m determining if doing a TCU is worth any potential risks of ripping through a transmission (only 9500 miles) at these power levels. Already had to replace a transmission (in an M3) in the last 24 months.

I just want to understand the negative impacts/risks (if any) of doing this.
How much power and torque are you putting down? If you're making more power than the stock transmission can handle, and you remove via a TCU tune all the electronically programmed limitations that were keeping the transmission alive, then you're likely to end up destroying the transmission. You may need to beef up the internals of the transmission to take full advantage of any benefits to a TCU tune with your setup.
The following users liked this post:
noremaC (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 07:41 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
17 C63S Coupe PTG1000
Originally Posted by SJGetsome
How much power and torque are you putting down? If you're making more power than the stock transmission can handle, and you remove via a TCU tune all the electronically programmed limitations that were keeping the transmission alive, then you're likely to end up destroying the transmission. You may need to beef up the internals of the transmission to take full advantage of any benefits to a TCU tune with your setup.
Dynojet session coming soon but probably 650whp and 700wtq. Time will tell.

Is there a known power limit that the MCT can handle on a daily basis?

Last edited by noremaC; 10-06-2021 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:21 PM

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
W205 C63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by noremaC
Dynojet session coming soon but probably 650whp and 700wtq. Time will tell.

Is there a known power limit that the MCT can handle on a daily basis?
I feel like I saw 650 rwtq was the limit for the transmission before you'd start seeing problems with it, but I could be mistaken. I'd search around and maybe Google it to see what you can find.

I would also expect that a TCU tune could be added that is customized to your setup. Allowing more torque than the stock software but still keeping it within the hardware limits of your particular setup.