😒 CONFIRMED: FACELIFT C63S HAVE SMALLER TURBOS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 05:54 PM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
Originally Posted by Encore818
Seems all PFL owners are.

And that's great! We should all love our cars.

But I don't get why almost every PFL owner does everything they can to make their car look like a FL.

Might as well get a FL and fix the sound, rather than get a PFL and change everything about it.
I'm not. Only thing I really wish is the updated screen, and half due to the size, and half due to Carplay being available. But I'll just end up going with an aftermarket Carplay solution, so it's a moot point. The only other concern I had (past tense) was power limits due to the trans limitations. But now that a TCU tune is available/possible, that's not an issue either. So I'm 100% happy with my PFL as is, and haven't done any mods to make it look like a FL.
The following users liked this post:
Wexlax732 (05-20-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 05:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 S Touring
PFL or FL, it’s not something I will be losing any sleep over.

I love my C63 S and actually prefer the grille, but hey, that’s just me.

SimMB (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 06:46 PM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned

I hate the new FL headlights, maybe that’s just me - most people probably don’t even know the difference.
Weird, then again, I'm sure I read on the headlight thread you guys in 'murica don't get the full lighting effect. They're pretty impressive, they must have been designed by Baron Samedi; full on witch doctor voodo shiz, blocking out the car Infront and lighting up the road all around it. When the beam comes back on it scrolls across like the opening of curtains, it's like show time!, que quick right thumb smash on the mode button to I, and bury the throttle! 😅

Mate just sent me a vid of a lad hitting 200 in his mapped C6 RS6, not 100% sure though, it's hard to make out which number the needle is on, proper squint fest, don't know how you analogue boys cope!

Last edited by SimMB; 05-18-2020 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by SimMB
Weird, then again, I'm sure I read on the headlight thread you guys in 'murica don't get the full lighting effect. They're pretty impressive, they must have been designed by Baron Samedi; full on witch doctor voodo shiz, blocking out the car Infront and lighting up the road all around it. When the beam comes back on it scrolls across like the opening of curtains, it's like show time!, que quick right thumb smash on the mode button to I, and bury the throttle! 😅

Mate just sent me a vid of a lad hitting 200 in his mapped C6 RS6, not 100% sure though, it's hard to make out which number the needle is on, proper squint fest, don't know how you analogue boys cope!
My lights move around corners and automatically turn on/off the brights with oncoming traffic, so if I can see where I'm going clearly that's fancy enough for me 👍

Your mate's speedo number means nothing since it's not GPS verified 😋 We, or at least I, cope by using acceleration measurement tools like Dragy, VBox, and the good ol' 1/4 mile strip.Preface lift or not, we can all get a GIGANTIC speedo readout in the central screen:

It looks pretty clear to me 🙂
Old 05-18-2020, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 303 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by Encore818
But I don't get why almost every PFL owner does everything they can to make their car look like a FL.it.
This thread is pretty annoying by now but statements like that make it plain wrong. Similar like the statements PFL owners want to save money as they bought mostly used. All garbage statements generalizing w/o knowing a thing.
Jimmy_c63s (05-19-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 588 Likes on 337 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Lol well some of us bought our PFLs close to the time they first hit the market, and are happy with the decision. (Bought my 17' in Feb 2017 with 4K miles on it). Only thing I like about the FL is the Panamaericana grille, and that's updated on mine. Aside from that nothing else I want from the FL, especially not the smaller turbos LOLLLLLLLL
Old 05-19-2020, 03:51 AM

C63S
My lights move around corners and automatically turn on/off the brights with oncoming traffic, so if I can see where I'm going clearly that's fancy enough for me 👍

Your mate's speedo number means nothing since it's not GPS verified 😋 We, or at least I, cope by using acceleration measurement tools like Dragy, VBox, and the good ol' 1/4 mile strip.Preface lift or not, we can all get a GIGANTIC speedo readout in the central screen:

It looks pretty clear to me 🙂
Yep! Pretty much makes the analogue dials redundant doesn't it... 😉😘

Top speed speed run in S+! 🤦‍♂️

Whoever produced that vid with the wrong AMG badge overlay deserves a punch in the face!

Last edited by SimMB; 05-19-2020 at 03:59 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by SimMB
Yep! Pretty much makes the analogue dials redundant doesn't it... 😉😘

Top speed speed run in S+! 🤦‍♂️

Whoever produced that vid with the wrong AMG badge overlay deserves a punch in the face!
There’s a difference between redundancy and functionality. That pic was just an example that you can get a clear view of speed even with analog dials.

100% of the time I have it in the AMG mode to display engine oil and trans temp, then once it’s up to temp, I switch it to the G-Force gauge and leave it on there. That’s my procedure for each drive 🙂

I also have a *gasp* digital heads up display that also shows me speed, gear, rpm, etc. These PFLs are ancient though without the in between COMAND/MBUX solution MB came up with until they started rolling out their next gen MBUX on all cars standard. You already have outdated tech that’s standard in an CLA now...

And yet, I still prefer the way my analog gauges look. I can get my speed and gizmos from the center screen or HUD or what have it....
Old 05-19-2020, 12:37 PM

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe, 2021 Bmw X5M Competition
There’s a difference between redundancy and functionality. That pic was just an example that you can get a clear view of speed even with analog dials.

100% of the time I have it in the AMG mode to display engine oil and trans temp, then once it’s up to temp, I switch it to the G-Force gauge and leave it on there. That’s my procedure for each drive 🙂

I also have a *gasp* digital heads up display that also shows me speed, gear, rpm, etc. These PFLs are ancient though without the in between COMAND/MBUX solution MB came up with until they started rolling out their next gen MBUX on all cars standard. You already have outdated tech that’s standard in an CLA now...

And yet, I still prefer the way my analog gauges look. I can get my speed and gizmos from the center screen or HUD or what have it....
I absolutely loved the analogue gauges in my E92 M3. Haven’t really found any other analogue gauges like that or stood out to me like that. All of the other Analogue gauges in the other cars I’ve owned were nothing interesting to look at.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by elitex
I absolutely loved the analogue gauges in my E92 M3. Haven’t really found any other analogue gauges like that or stood out to me like that. All of the other Analogue gauges in the other cars I’ve owned were nothing interesting to look at.
Just a few beauties... there are so many more

You simply can’t beat physical gauges in terms of pure beauty.
Wexlax732 (05-20-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 12:55 PM

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe, 2021 Bmw X5M Competition
Just a few beauties... there are so many more

You simply can’t beat physical gauges in terms of pure beauty.
Owned a 991 911 GTS and didn’t care for the gauges. Goes the other way also. I think Bmw took a step backwards with their digital gauges design. Luckily since its digital, it’s easily fixable.
Wexlax732 (05-20-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,720 Likes on 2,483 Posts
2019 C63CS
So, the main reason I like the digital instrument cluster and much prefer it over the analog gauges is the Supersport layout that puts the rev counter front and center, along with the current selected gear and eliminates the speedometer in favor of a digital readout. In addition the left and right areas become available to display two independent sets of information I can choose depending on the driving situation. I most often have the performance display on the left, and the tire pressure/temperature display on the right. When doing a trip I may bring up the turn-by-turn navigation instructions on the left and the map on the right etc. Lots of choices.

Some of the performance cars and examples above have done this right with the analog gauges by placing the rev counter in the center and move a smaller speedometer to the side, or also completely eliminate it in favor of a digital readout. The traditional side-by-side speedo/rev counter just isn't sporty. It's what you get in a Toyota Camry. If you like that kind of arrangement, the digital cluster still gives that choice. I personally find the analog speedometer a complete waste of space. I know, some argue that besides indicating the current speed it also shows the rate of acceleration via how fast the dial moves, but I have my butt dyno for that.

We can argue about the beauty of sculpted gauges and some do indeed look like a piece of art, but quite honestly the ones in the C63 aren't particularly pretty or anything to write home about, but most importantly they are stuck with the side-by-side layout. I think it would be completely different story if the PFL AMGs had analog clusters like the examples above with the rev counter in the center to actually make it feel and look sporty. I personally opted for not getting the heads up display. Not a fan, especially since I wear polarized sunglasses. The traditional side-by-side gauge layout has long bothered me in these cars, and I was really happy that AMG and others have seen the light and offer the Supersport type layouts. By the way the other awesome feature of the digital cluster are the prominent shift light animations that make the whole cluster flash red to make sure I don't run into the rev limiter in manual mode. They've done an excellent job to see information like that in one's peripheral view while keep your eyes focused on the road ahead.

It's the customization that really sets the digital clusters apart. Those who like side-by-side gauges, can have them, but those like me who really think in a car like this the rev counter and current gear should be front and center have that choice along with being able to display other relevant information in the space that's no longer wasted by a giant speedometer.

The following 3 users liked this post by superswiss:
AV1 (05-20-2020), SimMB (05-19-2020), Uga Uga (05-20-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 02:19 PM

C63S
Yep, supersport display is what I use. The amount of configurability is outstanding, I set it up like this for the wife, for her economy drives!:

Old 05-19-2020, 02:25 PM

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
2017 AMG C63
Hm. If the FL turbos are smaller, why does Mercedes Parts Center.com show the same part # for all years?
Old 05-19-2020, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 867 Likes on 451 Posts
2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
Even with digital you are still glancing down for a split second or focusing on your peripheral to see when to shift. It's still a minor distraction no matter how you cut it. This is why I like the head up display so much. Eyes are 100% on the road and the matter at hand instead of 90% like with the digital. I've had the head up display in both of my C63's and have clocked over 30k miles between the two of them. I've had no issues whatsoever.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,720 Likes on 2,483 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by benzbell
Even with digital you are still glancing down for a split second or focusing on your peripheral to see when to shift. It's still a minor distraction no matter how you cut it. This is why I like the head up display so much. Eyes are 100% on the road and the matter at hand instead of 90% like with the digital. I've had the head up display in both of my C63's and have clocked over 30k miles between the two of them. I've had no issues whatsoever.
Honestly, you are using your peripheral vision wrong if you focus on it. Our peripheral vision is very good at quickly picking up stuff entering our field of vision. It's not good at recognizing details or colors, but that isn't necessary to pick up on the entire cluster flashing when it's time to shift. Perhaps its an age or visual impairment thing. My eyes aren't the best anymore. I do wear reading glasses these days, but my peripheral vision is not impaired. I observe exactly the opposite of what you are saying. I find the HUD in my line of sight distracting and I end up trying to tune it out and as opposed to the arrow in the old center digital display I really don't have to glance down or focus on my peripheral vision. My main issue is actually that sometimes my reaction is too slow, even though my brain has registered that I need to shift, but because I'm concentrating on something happening in front of me, I end up not shifting quite in time. The HUD would not change that, because as I said, I'm already aware that I need to shift, the command just doesn't make it to my hands fast enough.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-19-2020 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 272 Likes on 188 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
Originally Posted by untamedd
Europe is boring. Taking the fun out of everything.
You're funny...
Old 05-19-2020, 05:18 PM

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
Hm. If the FL turbos are smaller, why does Mercedes Parts Center.com show the same part # for all years?
Renntech also confirmed to me via email that the turbos are the same size.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by SteveDesai
I checked and PN's are the same as well, both showing 177-090-00-80 regardless of whether it's for a 2017 or a 2020.

I think it would be hilarious if it turns out this shop was completely wrong about this..and this thread just turned out to be another FL vs PFL grudge match 😂
Old 05-19-2020, 05:26 PM

Received 144 Likes on 117 Posts
C63s
I checked and PN's are the same as well, both showing 177-090-00-80 regardless of whether it's for a 2017 or a 2020.

I think it would be hilarious if it turns out this shop was completely wrong about this..and this thread just turned out to be another FL vs PFL grudge match 😂
don’t know who would be more ashamed, PFL for saying bigger is better or FL for saying smaller are more efficient hahaha
Old 05-19-2020, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by japamg
don’t know who would be more ashamed, PFL for saying bigger is better or FL for saying smaller are more efficient hahaha
Right? Besides, it’s not the size that matters... it’s how you use it 😆
Old 05-19-2020, 06:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 C63s Coupe
Wait I am confused,so was this entire thread for nothing? Can you share with us Renntech's email?
Old 05-19-2020, 06:47 PM

C63S
Originally Posted by japamg
A modern turbo is much smaller than one from say the 80s. Surely that's not in dispute? If the turbo is indeed smaller, it won't come as a surprise. I have no idea if it is smaller or not. Most likely isn't if you ask me. However, manufacturers updating their own product lines isn't unusual.

What's the manufacturers part number?

One bloke in Australia, whips his calipers out, takes a few measurements of a turbo and categorises the entire product line. Pretty ridiculous really.

Last edited by SimMB; 05-19-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:58 PM

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
2017 AMG C63
Thanks for chiming in .

I don't know if the FLturbos are bigger or not (great for me if they are) but I know we need more confirmation than one shop's tweet before concluding.

Last edited by LessIsMore; 05-20-2020 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:48 PM

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, C63s Coupe
I have copied renntechs email to me below:Good Afternoon,

Thanks for the email. Yes, it’s the same tune as the prefacelift model, so it will def work with your 2020 model.

https://renntechmercedes.com/index.p...205_c63-detail

Regarding the turbo size, they are the same size, whether it be a pre facelift or post facelift model.

Please let me know if there are any other questions.

Sincerely,

Patrick Casey

Product Specialist

7825 SW Ellipse Way

Stuart, FL 34997

Direct: 772-266-9024

Phone: 561-845-7888 Ext 114

Fax: 561-845-6777

patrickc@renntechmercedes.com

www.renntechmercedes.com

RENNtech on Facebook

RENNtech on Instagram
Show quoted text

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 😒 CONFIRMED: FACELIFT C63S HAVE SMALLER TURBOS