Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q for those with aftermarket diffusers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 06:10 PM

Received 312 Likes on 237 Posts
C43

All functions unaffected by my RWCarbon piece.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:53 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
W205 C63 S
Originally Posted by tobeit
The PSM Dynamics does not require to remove the portion of the diffuser where the sensors are in, just slips over the lower part. I painted my OEM top portion and PSM bottom gloss black and all sensors work as before and trunk works as before.
Where did you order your diffuser from?
Old 05-28-2020, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 421 Likes on 304 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by kusn_w204
Where did you order your diffuser from?
I ordered all my PSM parts either from AutoTalent or directly from PSM Dynamics.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mosselman 190E 16V+ C63S+ Abarth 595
My sedan with the Lufstrom diffuser left parktronic and the back up sensors useless, not to mention they would set off and tried adjusting and reglueing(bummed no tabs!) Ended up grabbing a PSM since i have one long *** driveway with a 90 degree turn backwards into my garage each night
Old 05-28-2020, 12:46 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by AMGC
My sedan with the Lufstrom diffuser left parktronic and the back up sensors useless, not to mention they would set off and tried adjusting and reglueing(bummed no tabs!)
Thanks for the input from another sedan owner. I think I've decided that for now for an aesthetic change that isn't that drastic, the total cost (part + labor) + risk of losing functions + risk of panels/gaps not lining up as well on the reinstall of bumper and diffuser, makes it not worth going forward with it for me, personally. The car is still very new to me so perhaps sometime down the line I'll be itching to change it up.
The following users liked this post:
SJGetsome (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by jherm
Thanks for the input from another sedan owner. I think I've decided that for now for an aesthetic change that isn't that drastic, the total cost (part + labor) + risk of losing functions + risk of panels/gaps not lining up as well on the reinstall of bumper and diffuser, makes it not worth going forward with it for me, personally. The car is still very new to me so perhaps sometime down the line I'll be itching to change it up.
no rush needed....just in case you do decide one day ... my PSM sedan diffuser does not require to remove anything (bumper, old diffuser)... I just removed the small trim pieces and use the small grooves where they used to be to seat the top portion of the diffuser, It then gets attached to your bumper left and right with 3-4 screws each side underneath. The diffuser ends at the wheel well.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:09 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
C63 AMG
uhm, shall I send a video showing it? Works 100% all the time, only way I open and close my trunk...with the PSM installed. Funny you doubt what I am experiencing every day.
Ok now i'm jealous. How the hell does that sensor not get blocked by the psm rear diffuser? I'm going to try to kick it in every spot today.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by TeraPatrick
Ok now i'm jealous. How the hell does that sensor not get blocked by the psm rear diffuser? I'm going to try to kick it in every spot today.
to be honest, I was bit surprised too but works like a charm. I kick right in the center. what I did find is that you just need to kick swift...too slow and it will not work. throw that leg ;-)
Old 05-28-2020, 05:07 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
W205 C63 S
I ordered all my PSM parts either from AutoTalent or directly from PSM Dynamics.
I been thinking about this diffuser but its so much more than the other diffuers lol. Was yours carbon fiber?
Old 05-28-2020, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by kusn_w204
I been thinking about this diffuser but its so much more than the other diffuers lol. Was yours carbon fiber?
Nope, I ordered all FRP and have it all painted gloss black. I also painted the remaining OEM top portion of the diffuser gloss black to match it all. My entire car them is white and gloss black on all exterior parts (and black-on-black and carbon fiber interior including engine bay).

FRP + paint is the same as cost of CF though.

(Pictures with PSM side skirts on coming soon).
Old 05-28-2020, 07:53 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S
Nope, I ordered all FRP and have it all painted gloss black. I also painted the remaining OEM top portion of the diffuser gloss black to match it all. My entire car them is white and gloss black on all exterior parts (and black-on-black and carbon fiber interior including engine bay).

FRP + paint is the same as cost of CF though.
So that's interesting that yours isn't CF and seems to be one of the few in this thread with working kick function. When I called my local shop for an install quote and was talking through my concerns, he mentioned that carbon fiber can definitely affect sensor functionality. Something about the material specifically can cause sensor malfunctions. He said he went down this rabbit hole when installing a CF diffuser on his M3 Competition and lost the kick function.

Just spent some time on bimmerpost and there is a ton of discussion on this. Boils down to carbon fiber being conductive. This acts as an RF shield preventing the kick sensor from "seeing" your foot.

Last edited by jherm; 05-28-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by jherm
So that's interesting that yours isn't CF and seems to be one of the few in this thread with working kick function. When I called my local shop for an install quote and was talking through my concerns, he mentioned that carbon fiber can definitely affect sensor functionality. Something about the material specifically can cause sensor malfunctions. He said he went down this rabbit hole when installing a CF diffuser on his M3 Competition and lost the kick function.

Just spent some time on bimmerpost and there is a ton of discussion on this. Boils down to carbon fiber being conductive. This acts as an RF shield preventing the kick sensor from "seeing" your foot.
certainly possible but when you look up dielectric constant of carbon fiber laid in epoxy it does not show that it has a much higher dielectric constant than plastics alone. But certainly a possibility. The kick sensor is likely a proximity sensor based on the change in reflection of the electromagnetic waves caused by your foot. A dielectric shield in between would certainly make it stop sensing any change. FRP it is is 😃
Old 05-28-2020, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 307 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
I have a sedan with the ModeCarbon , all sensors work fine.

As others stated it does not come with specific hardware, so take your time. The parking sensors need a little love when re-mounting them but if you or your installer doesnt RUSH the job, all should be fine.

dont have trunk option so cannot comment on that.

Old 07-02-2021, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63s
I

done mine myself, had to do quite abit of cutting and move some cables around but all works fine. My only dilema is the 2 sensors on the diffuser keep going off as they are more angled to the floor. But like I said I fitted this myself and drilled the holes and I’m not a pro. But will get one of my pals in the garage to look at it and hopefully readjust them.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:37 PM

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
W205 C63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by OsmanR
I done mine myself, had to do quite abit of cutting and move some cables around but all works fine. My only dilema is the 2 sensors on the diffuser keep going off as they are more angled to the floor. But like I said I fitted this myself and drilled the holes and I’m not a pro. But will get one of my pals in the garage to look at it and hopefully readjust them.
Looks like it came out just fine; nice job. As for the parking sensors, the area they mount to on all the aftermarket carbon fiber diffusers just seem to be on a section that's curved, making them point more downward than on the OEM diffuser. If you're able to figure out a way to mount out so they're pointing more horizontally, let us know.
Old 07-03-2021, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by OsmanR
I

Diffuser looks fine but what MB wheels do you have? Coupe? Or is it an illusion that the rear poke a lot?
Old 07-03-2021, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63s
Diffuser looks fine but what MB wheels do you have? Coupe? Or is it an illusion that the rear poke a lot?
no you are right they do poke out they’re just temporary wheels as my originals got damaged. I’ve ordered a set of Ferrada wheels
9j et 35
10j et45

i hope these fit and look good as the sedan doesn’t allow much concavity which sucks! I was going for the aggressive look 😦