Sponsored by:

Q for those with aftermarket diffusers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 11:03 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S
Q for those with aftermarket diffusers

I'm considering a Mode Carbon rear diffuser but wanted to see if replacing the stock diffuser could possibly affect any of the tech features (kick to open/close trunk, parking sensors, etc). Has anybody run into issues with some of their features after replacing the rear diffuser?

I think I've seen some mention the kick to open/close trunk may not have worked or worked well after replacement. Not sure if that's an electronics issue or perhaps given the larger size of an aftermarket diffuser it's just physically harder to get your kick to the sensor spot.
The following users liked this post:
Cuts (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 421 Likes on 304 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by jherm
I'm considering a Mode Carbon rear diffuser but wanted to see if replacing the stock diffuser could possibly affect any of the tech features (kick to open/close trunk, parking sensors, etc). Has anybody run into issues with some of their features after replacing the rear diffuser?

I think I've seen some mention the kick to open/close trunk may not have worked or worked well after replacement. Not sure if that's an electronics issue or perhaps given the larger size of an aftermarket diffuser it's just physically harder to get your kick to the sensor spot.
I have the PSM Dynamics on my sedan (probably the largest under-body panel of all)...and it works just fine.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:00 PM

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
W205 C63 AMG Coupe
I'm curious about this as well. Additionally, whether the aftermarket diffusers changed the direction the rear parking sensors were pointed or otherwise affected function/range. Some seem to look like they are pointed more downward on the aftermarket diffusers as opposed to straight back on the OEM diffuser.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:13 PM

C63S
Originally Posted by SJGetsome
I'm curious about this as well. Additionally, whether the aftermarket diffusers changed the direction the rear parking sensors were pointed or otherwise affected function/range. Some seem to look like they are pointed more downward on the aftermarket diffusers as opposed to straight back on the OEM diffuser.
SJGetsome, take a look at the thread linked below and specifically post #16 from Aaron Ramsey. Stuff like that is what is making me hesitant to go forward with a diffuser swap. The cost of parts + labor is already on the precipice of what I'm willing to do for this relatively minor change and adding risk of causing features not to function properly makes it kind of dicey for me to do.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...c43-sedan.html
Old 05-26-2020, 12:41 PM

W205 C63 AMG Coupe
SJGetsome, take a look at the thread linked below and specifically post #16 from Aaron Ramsey. Stuff like that is what is making me hesitant to go forward with a diffuser swap. The cost of parts + labor is already on the precipice of what I'm willing to do for this relatively minor change and adding risk of causing features not to function properly makes it kind of dicey for me to do.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...c43-sedan.html
I hear you. I like the look of a few of the aftermarket options and want to get a carbon fiber one, but not if it's going to compromise some of the features on the car.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:04 PM

Received 149 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
unfortunately some people do face issues. For me the kick to open trunk doesnt work and one of the rear parking sensor tends to act weird at times. not things i care much about over the added aggressive look but this will be subjective obviously
Old 05-26-2020, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
I hear you. I like the look of a few of the aftermarket options and want to get a carbon fiber one, but not if it's going to compromise some of the features on the car.
The PSM Dynamics does not require to remove the portion of the diffuser where the sensors are in, just slips over the lower part. I painted my OEM top portion and PSM bottom gloss black and all sensors work as before and trunk works as before.

Last edited by tobeit; 05-26-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:18 PM

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s amg w213............2017 C63s Coupe W205
I have the mode carbon piece - no issues at all, other than the fact it doesnt come with proper hardware to mount it. Thankfully I manage a collision shop and we do a lot of mercedes, so we had stuff around to improvise.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:25 PM

C63S
Originally Posted by sinister.c63s
I have the mode carbon piece - no issues at all, other than the fact it doesnt come with proper hardware to mount it. Thankfully I manage a collision shop and we do a lot of mercedes, so we had stuff around to improvise.
Which mode carbon diffuser do you have? Lufstrom or Euro Spec?
Old 05-26-2020, 01:32 PM

C63S
Originally Posted by untamedd
unfortunately some people do face issues. For me the kick to open trunk doesnt work and one of the rear parking sensor tends to act weird at times. not things i care much about over the added aggressive look but this will be subjective obviously
I wonder if there is a pattern between sedan vs coupe as far as those facing issues. I see yours is a coupe (I have a sedan). I wonder if only coupes have had issues or if some with sedans have also run into these functionality problems.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:58 AM

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts
2017 Mercedes-Benz AMG C63 Cabriolet, 2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
As poorly as the kick to open works on my wife’s stock CLS I can’t imagine it working any worse.

My C63 doesn’t have this feature so for me this is a moot point.

Last edited by SDRider; 05-27-2020 at 05:00 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:49 AM

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s amg w213............2017 C63s Coupe W205
Which mode carbon diffuser do you have? Lufstrom or Euro Spec?

luftstrom is all thats avail for coupes
Old 05-27-2020, 12:44 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by tobeit
I have the PSM Dynamics on my sedan (probably the largest under-body panel of all)...and it works just fine.
I have the PSM coupe version and my kick thing don't work
Old 05-27-2020, 12:55 PM

C63S
Originally Posted by TeraPatrick
I have the PSM coupe version and my kick thing don't work
Interesting. So we have you and untamedd in this thread saying now the kick feature doesn't work on their coupes (though it does on sinister's coupe) and the one sedan that commented (tobeit) says everything works fine. Perhaps some coupes will run into issues but sedans won't? Or it's just reading too much into the responses since there are several variables here (the specific type of diffuser and installation, most notably).
Old 05-27-2020, 01:01 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
C63 AMG
Interesting. So we have you and untamedd in this thread saying now the kick feature doesn't work on their coupes (though it does on sinister's coupe) and the one sedan that commented (tobeit) says everything works fine. Perhaps some coupes will run into issues but sedans won't? Or it's just reading too much into the responses since there are several variables here (the specific type of diffuser and installation, most notably).
I doubt Tobeit's kick function works either. It's almost the same diffuser and it goes underneath the kick sensor making it unable to function. From my research before I got the PSM one, the mode carbon or replicas of it disables the kick function as well. I forgot to add that the parking sensors all work.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:23 PM

W205 C63 AMG Coupe
Loss of the trunk's kick open function is disappointing. I enjoy and use that often on my coupe.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:25 PM

C63S
Loss of the trunk's kick open function is disappointing. I enjoy and use that often on my coupe.
Agreed. It's one of those functions that I find myself using a ton more than I would've expected. It's the first car I've had with that and have only had the car 6 weeks so perhaps the novelty will wear off, but for now the risk of losing that adds to the cons of moving forward with a diffuser swap for me.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:33 PM

W205 C63 AMG Coupe
Agreed. It's one of those functions that I find myself using a ton more than I would've expected. It's the first car I've had with that and have only had the car 6 weeks so perhaps the novelty will wear off, but for now the risk of losing that adds to the cons of moving forward with a diffuser swap for me.
I have had my car for 8 months now and it is the first car I've had with that function as well. I can confidently say that the novelty does not wear off as it is very useful when carrying things to load into the trunk.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
I have had my car for 8 months now and it is the first car I've had with that function as well. I can confidently say that the novelty does not wear off as it is very useful when carrying things to load into the trunk.
Agreed. I use the kick to open function almost daily, it’s such a convenient feature to have and definitely isn’t a novelty (like my HUD which is more of a distraction than anything).
Old 05-27-2020, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by TeraPatrick
I doubt Tobeit's kick function works either. It's almost the same diffuser and it goes underneath the kick sensor making it unable to function. From my research before I got the PSM one, the mode carbon or replicas of it disables the kick function as well. I forgot to add that the parking sensors all work.
uhm, shall I send a video showing it? Works 100% all the time, only way I open and close my trunk...with the PSM installed. Funny you doubt what I am experiencing every day.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:31 PM

C63S
uhm, shall I send a video showing it? Works 100% all the time, only way I open and close my trunk...with the PSM installed. Funny you doubt what I am experiencing every day.
Where exactly is the sensor for the kick feature? Looking at a pic of an uninstalled MC euro diffuser and it doesn't look like it is so large under the car that it'd cover where I'm typically kicking, but it's hard to tell with my limited knowledge on the subject.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Where exactly is the sensor for the kick feature? Looking at a pic of an uninstalled MC euro diffuser and it doesn't look like it is so large under the car that it'd cover where I'm typically kicking, but it's hard to tell with my limited knowledge on the subject.
I simply kick in the center of the trunk. Just a quick, swift kick and works 100%. Link ...

Old 05-27-2020, 05:44 PM

C63S
I simply kick in the center of the trunk. Just a quick, swift kick and works 100%. Link ...
Mostly what I got out of that link was jealousy of that nice epoxy flooring...
Old 05-27-2020, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Mostly what I got out of that link was jealousy of that nice epoxy flooring...
Yeah, but was raining cats and dogs today so car and garage entry all wet ;-)

Well, I demonstrated that the kick works just fine despite someone here doubting it (bad video I guess) ...it also demonstrates that the sensor is in the middle, need to kick in the center and works all the time.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:02 PM

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts
C63s Coupe
One thing to note about the coupe is that it has no trunk release button on the trunk itself (I believe the sedan has one — correct me if I’m wrong). If the kick release method doesn’t work, your open options are to reach for your key fob every time, or release from driver’s seat.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Q for those with aftermarket diffusers