C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First look at the new AMG/Garrett electric turbocharger - destined for W206 C63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
First look at the new AMG/Garrett electric turbocharger - destined for W206 C63?

Found this article quite intriguing, it hints that we may see its first application used in the AMG GT Black Series (which will apparently have something new and unconventional in terms of engine) or the upcoming "73" series of AMG models starting with the AMG GT73.

I think this is also a good indication/hint that the 4 cylinder rumors about the W206 C63 are in fact true. It looks like this electric turbo will be used on top of the 4-cylinder to fill torque gaps and get instantaneous power and response.

Full article here: https://www.motor1.com/news/429169/m...-turbocharger/

Mercedes-AMG Electric Exhaust Gas Turbocharger Eliminates Turbo Lag

Engine response will be instant.

It’s no secret that AMG has vowed to fully embrace electrification in the years to come as a follow-up to its super-rare SLS AMG Electric Drive launched back in 2013. The upcoming series of “73” models will all have plug-in hybrid powertrains with roughly 800 horsepower, while the AMG One with its F1-derived electrified powertrain will push out four-digit horsepower. It looks like the boys and girls from Affalterbach have another ace up their sleeves – an electric turbocharger.

The newly developed electric exhaust gas turbocharger vows to eliminate the dreaded turbo lag. Engineered by AMG in collaboration with Garrett Motion, the new e-turbo is adapted from the exciting world of Formula 1 and combines the fast response of a small turbocharger with the high peak performance of a bigger turbo.

How is the turbo lag eliminated? By installing a tiny electric motor into the turbocharger shaft, specifically between the turbine wheel on the exhaust side and the compressor wheel on the fresh air side. Measuring approximately 1.6 inches (4 centimeters), the electric motor powers the compressor wheel before it starts accepting the exhaust gas flow.

Using this method, the delayed response of a conventional turbocharger is virtually eliminated, thus resulting in a more responsive engine right away and across the entire rpm range. AMG says the e-turbo also helps the ICE provide more torque at lower engine speeds, so the performance is significantly improved compared to a traditional turbocharged engine. Optimal airflow is guaranteed by the turbocharger as it can achieve impressive speeds of up to 170,000 rpm.

Mercedes-AMG doesn’t say which car will be the first to benefit from the cutting-edge technology, but we know from Garrett its e-turbo will be installed in a road-going vehicle as early as next year. Could it be the AMG GT 73? The Black Series? Time will tell, but we do know it will debut in a “next vehicle generation” as per the press release.

AMG boss Tobias Moers, who will become Aston Martin’s CEO on August 1, has already promised the Black Series will have “something different” in terms of engine, adding “we never did something like this with an engine before – for AMG it’s the first one.” It remains to be seen whether he was referring to the e-turbo or something else.

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/rP...rger.jpg//img]

Old 06-17-2020, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
The engine in the picture, that is a 4 cyl no? Well they have done it then haha. The have killed the c63. I had this sliver of hope that they will see sense and not kill it for w206.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:05 PM

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by munis
The engine in the picture, that is a 4 cyl no? Well they have done it then haha. The have killed the c63. I had this sliver of hope that they will see sense and not kill it for w206.
why wouldnt they? i dont think any car competing with a C63 has a V8 anymore so as much as id love the next gen to have a V8 it just seems unlikely. Will have to switch to another car next time since I still want a V8 and not some ****** 4 cylinder engine
Old 06-17-2020, 03:04 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by untamedd
why wouldnt they? i dont think any car competing with a C63 has a V8 anymore so as much as id love the next gen to have a V8 it just seems unlikely. Will have to switch to another car next time since I still want a V8 and not some ****** 4 cylinder engine
Or get the bigger amg cars i.e. E63, S63, etc...
Old 06-17-2020, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by TeraPatrick
Or get the bigger amg cars i.e. E63, S63, etc...
Yeah no coupe for E63.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:15 AM

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts
2000 c230 kompressor special edition, 2004 E320 (sold), 2012 E550 coupe (sold), 2017 C63 sedan
Very cool, the F1 team has been able to reach some pretty ridiculous thermal efficiency numbers using this technology (MGU-H in F1 parlance). As much as I hate to see the V8s go, with the inevitable move towards all electric vehicles, I'm happy to see any technology that will keep the internal combustion engine around for a little bit longer. Some noise is better than no noise I guess...haha.
The following users liked this post:
Uga Uga (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 06:10 AM

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts
2019C63S coupe
E63 coupe might return to plug that gap.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by crazy00c230k
Very cool, the F1 team has been able to reach some pretty ridiculous thermal efficiency numbers using this technology (MGU-H in F1 parlance). As much as I hate to see the V8s go, with the inevitable move towards all electric vehicles, I'm happy to see any technology that will keep the internal combustion engine around for a little bit longer. Some noise is better than no noise I guess...haha.
It would be cooler if the 4 cylinder engine had some other special characteristics like screaming to a high redline like 8000+ RPM.

It’s only logical that the successor to the current M177 4.0L will be based off the new M139 4 cylinder (as the M177 was based off the older M133 4 cylinder). It would be pretty insane to have a 4.0l V8 with a twin e-turbo system, as opposed to using electric power from the starter motor like most 48v systems.

Thing is these motors are already so responsive with small turbos in a hot v setup, I don’t really many opportunities for a 4.0l needing e-turbos to fill torque gaps... so maybe engine displacement and (sigh) cylinder count drops?

Last edited by AlexZTuned; 06-19-2020 at 02:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
OrientBlue3 (06-19-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 04:18 AM

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts
2000 c230 kompressor special edition, 2004 E320 (sold), 2012 E550 coupe (sold), 2017 C63 sedan
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
It would be cooler if the 4 cylinder engine had some other special characteristics like screaming to a high redline like 8000+ RPM.

It’s only logical that the successor to the current M177 4.0L will be based off the new M139 4 cylinder (as the M177 was based off the older M133 4 cylinder). It would be pretty insane to have a 4.0l V8 with a twin e-turbo system, as opposed to using electric power from the starter motor like most 48v systems.

Thing is these motors are already so responsive with small turbos in a hot v setup, I don’t really many opportunities for a 4.0l needing e-turbos to fill torque gaps... so maybe engine displacement and (sigh) cylinder count drops?
Yeah, it will be interesting to see what transpires. I love the sound and power of these amg v8s, but also love seeing how technology is allowing ICEs to become so much smaller and more efficient all while power numbers continue to increase. I agree that if the c63 moves to a 4 cylinder setup that it better be pretty damn special, its got some big shoes to fill. If they do base a new V8 on the new 4, it would be cool if they went even smaller displacement and kept the flat plane crank, one big turbo with the electric motor to help spool at lower engine RPM. Also a mild hybrid system to help torque fill at lower RPM. Perhaps bring even more of the F1 influence in and use a split turbo setup with the compressor and turbine at either end of the engine with the compressor shaft running down the middle of the vee. One can dream...haha
Old 04-08-2021, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Bump from the past. It was true... sigh