Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63 w/ Non-Performance Exhaust...Need it Louder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2020 | 12:15 PM

2017 C63
C63 w/ Non-Performance Exhaust...Need it Louder

I've had my '17 C63 for several months now and absolutely love it, but--as you all know--the modification itch needs to be scratched. I'd really like to add some decibels, but I also to avoid drone on the highway. I really like the AWE Switchpath exhaust for it's versatility, but am not a big fan of the price. Looking to see if anyone has done any of the following:
  • Replace just the downpipes and leave the stock exhaust as-is. I'd like to find a good catted option to be able to pass emissions tests. How does the change in noise compare to replacing the catback system?
  • Retrofit the AWE Track-to-Switchpath Conversion Kit to the stock 2.5" exhuast. Or even have a local shop make the 3" midpipes to pair with the Conversion Kit?
I've read that plenty of people on here delete the secondary cat, but I worry about that voiding my warranty with this option.

Any advice yall have for getting some more noise out of the beast is appreciated! Thanks.

PS: If any of you are looking to sell a used catback system, feel free to PM me.
The following users liked this post:
C63Texas (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020 | 12:25 PM

2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by HouTex C63
I've had my '17 C63 for several months now and absolutely love it, but--as you all know--the modification itch needs to be scratched. I'd really like to add some decibels, but I also to avoid drone on the highway. I really like the AWE Switchpath exhaust for it's versatility, but am not a big fan of the price. Looking to see if anyone has done any of the following:
  • Replace just the downpipes and leave the stock exhaust as-is. I'd like to find a good catted option to be able to pass emissions tests. How does the change in noise compare to replacing the catback system?
  • Retrofit the AWE Track-to-Switchpath Conversion Kit to the stock 2.5" exhuast. Or even have a local shop make the 3" midpipes to pair with the Conversion Kit?
I've read that plenty of people on here delete the secondary cat, but I worry about that voiding my warranty with this option.

Any advice yall have for getting some more noise out of the beast is appreciated! Thanks.

PS: If any of you are looking to sell a used catback system, feel free to PM me.
you touch anything and the warranty on your exhaust is gone so i wouldnt worry too much about it.

with that being said, i have the PE and this is how i cured my itch for more sound. 1) secondary cat delete and then 4-5 months after 2) AWE Track.

Getting downpipes as you suggested would definitely make the car louder too but im not sure what good if any catted downpipes are for sound. i think the whole point for them is to be catless.

Either way just do what you want for sound freely without thinking about warranty
Old 07-03-2020 | 12:30 PM

2018 C63 Sedan
Many people say that doing a secondary cat delete will improve sound by 20-25 percent. I plan to do this to my '18 C63, as I do want more sound (especially when not at WOT).
Old 07-03-2020 | 12:32 PM

2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by C63Texas
Many people say that doing a secondary cat delete will improve sound by 20-25 percent. I plan to do this to my '18 C63, as I do want more sound (especially when not at WOT).
yes secondary cat delete is a no brainer imo. instantly the car is about 20% louder. I was very happy with the secondary cat delete + ASR module combo. Then itch came and got AWE Track and now i want it to be louder still LOL
C63Texas (07-04-2020)
Old 07-03-2020 | 12:50 PM

2017 C63
Originally Posted by untamedd
yes secondary cat delete is a no brainer imo. instantly the car is about 20% louder. I was very happy with the secondary cat delete + ASR module combo. Then itch came and got AWE Track and now i want it to be louder still LOL
Can you still pass emissions tests after the secondary cat delete? I live in Texas, so I think our standards are pretty lax.

Also, I'd like to know how the process went for you. Did your shop have experience with this type of mod? Do you have any pics of the finished product?
Old 07-03-2020 | 01:14 PM

'15 C63S
Can you still pass emissions tests after the secondary cat delete? I live in Texas, so I think our standards are pretty lax.

Also, I'd like to know how the process went for you. Did your shop have experience with this type of mod? Do you have any pics of the finished product?
The emissions test here in Texas is based solely upon a scan of your OBDII system. If a quick scan of your car shows no codes and shows the monitors as Ready, you'll pass the inspection. You can have up to 1 monitor showing as Not Ready and still pass inspection in TX.

Whether or not a secondary cat delete will cause any of the montiors to show Not Ready and/or throw actual CEL codes is a completely different question. Not sure about that one.
C63Texas (07-04-2020)
Old 07-03-2020 | 04:20 PM

W205 C63 S
Originally Posted by untamedd
you touch anything and the warranty on your exhaust is gone so i wouldnt worry too much about it.

with that being said, i have the PE and this is how i cured my itch for more sound. 1) secondary cat delete and then 4-5 months after 2) AWE Track.

Getting downpipes as you suggested would definitely make the car louder too but im not sure what good if any catted downpipes are for sound. i think the whole point for them is to be catless.

Either way just do what you want for sound freely without thinking about warranty
This is exactly what I am planning to do. Can you give me some of your experience for 2nd cat delete then adding the AWE Track exhaust? Videos online does not really show a difference so it definitely does not do it justice. How bad is the drone in the car since mufflers are gone and for sound, is it a really noticeable difference?
Thank you!
Old 07-04-2020 | 11:05 AM

2020 C63S Coupe , 2014 BMW M5
If my car was out of warranty i would personally get a renntech tune and go with renntech high flow catted downpipes

Couple of my friends have this exact setup and their cars sound amazing.

I just picked up my car in December, I have plenty of itches already but i also dont have the patience of dealing with problems if they may arise and having my warranty voided so stock it is..........

for now
Old 07-06-2020 | 09:11 AM

2017 c63 amg, Catless DP, Velos tune

I just did cat less down pipes on mine. I have the stock non dynamic exhaust. I think it sounds amazing. I wasn't really to worried about my warranty. Depending on where you go to get your car serviced will depend if they void your warranty or not. I was OK taking the chance but could easily see why most people wouldn't. I really love the sound and power the mod gave me.

Hope this helped.