Turbo upgrade with original cat and downpipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 303 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
Without upgrading the exhaust or intake, upgraded turbos will be choked significantly. You will need to run lower boost than you would if you had those mods. You will also probably experience increased lag because an upgraded Turbo will have larger heavier wheels that take more time to spin up, and you do not have the offsetting benefit of having opened the intake and exhaust post turbo, to help spool time. And lastly the aftermarket turbos, which in all cases are less reliable than OEM turbos, is going to be under more stress because It won't be able to get air in-and-out as easily as it needs to for its flow requirements. Usually upgraded turbos without the supporting mods will leave you disappointed. I definitely think you will see a increase in power, but you will always be significantly lower than those who have the right supporting mods for a proper set up.
Here you insist you need DP's to make them work properly...there is a lot of projection in your statements (example1: upgraded Turbo will have larger heavier wheel - not true for all turbo upgrades!, example 2: aftermarket turbos, which in all cases are less reliable than OEM turbos - show me evidence of that!, example 3: Usually upgraded turbos without the supporting mods will leave you disappointed - depends what you are looking for, if you want to break records yes, if you want 600+ on the wheel, absolute no),

This has been pretty civil and straightforward, sorry if it's too much and you are lost. This is a discussion not an argument. I'm just offering my knowledge and experience to help the OP make an informed decision, and contradicting some mis-information and misleading claims along the way.

PS - please try to follow, I never said whp claims are exagerrated. It is the crank hp claims that are often inflated by using drivetrain loss corrections that are too high. To cut through the BS, people should use wheel horsepower figures and compare those. Then do their own math using around 10% drive train loss as a rough guess to crank hp.
Civil - yes, but you are arguing a mute point and not what the OP asked. Also, if you want to go real big and max out where you for sure need to change the DP's, there are other components I would want to change first before exploring those max powers. A decent turbo upgrade to 600+whp can be done w/o the DP's and still fairly safe before other components fail (transmission, BOV, or even internals).

Don't get me wrong - if you upgrade turbos's of any kind upgrading the DP's is not a bad thing and does not hurt but its neither a requirement to get good performance nor does it hurt not doing it...until maybe you want to go real big.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:33 PM

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
2017 AMG C63
Originally Posted by tobeit
Here you insist you need DP's to make them work properly...there is a lot of projection in your statements (example1: upgraded Turbo will have larger heavier wheel - not true for all turbo upgrades!, example 2: aftermarket turbos, which in all cases are less reliable than OEM turbos - show me evidence of that!, example 3: Usually upgraded turbos without the supporting mods will leave you disappointed - depends what you are looking for, if you want to break records yes, if you want 600+ on the wheel, absolute no),

Civil - yes, but you are arguing a mute point and not what the OP asked. Also, if you want to go real big and max out where you for sure need to change the DP's, there are other components I would want to change first before exploring those max powers. A decent turbo upgrade to 600+whp can be done w/o the DP's and still fairly safe before other components fail (transmission, BOV, or even internals).

Don't get me wrong - if you upgrade turbos's of any kind upgrading the DP's is not a bad thing and does not hurt but its neither a requirement to get good performance nor does it hurt not doing it...until maybe you want to go real big.
If you go back to my 1st post you will see that I stated right up front that it could be done but is not optimal. So what exactly are you arguing with? I will not be spending time digging up links for you - The statements I am making here are common knowledge to anyone with decent experience modifying turbocharged vehicles.

Last edited by LessIsMore; 07-20-2020 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 303 Posts
AMG C63s
If you go back to my 1st post you will see that I stated right up front that it could be done but is not optimal. So what exactly are you arguing with? I will not be spending time digging up links for you - The statements I am making here are common knowledge to anyone with decent experience modifying turbocharged vehicles.
moving on...OP got his answer, all good.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:58 PM

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
2017 AMG C63
Originally Posted by tobeit
moving on...OP got his answer, all good.
Yes - all good!
OP - Hope you got what you needed.