Custom Steering wheel installed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 08:48 AM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
2017 c63 amg, Catless DP, Velos tune
Angry Custom Steering wheel installed.

Hey guys,

So there was a previous thread started by another member who installed a face lift steering wheel. Seemed like he had a good experience with the purchaser so I decided to see what it was all about. I reached out to @askcarbon on instagram. The guy is super responsive and immediately was able to get me a quote and inform me of the options. I made a couple choices and the proceeded to pay. At first I felt like everything was good. I went to pay through pay pal. Instead of doing a normal business purchase he had me send money to him as a friend.
At first I really didn't think much of it. Now it makes complete sense why he had me do that. The wheel was put together and he sent me pictures during the building the process. He quickly was able to get the wheel shipped to my house in about 3 weeks. So far at this point my experience was very positive. When the wheel arrived it looked awesome. Well built, good quality, and everything I asked for. During the purchasing process @askcarbon informed me everything was plug and play. The steering wheel didn't come with any instructions but looked like it was just a direct replacement.

Now we get to the installation

I went to modern Mercedes to have them install because of how amazing of mechanics they are. They charged me a half hour of labor. Remington gets it on and pulls me back to the area he was working and say we have a problem. The left side of the steering wheel looks like it has a button that is stuck. The dash board just keeps scrolling through all the options. Remington tries a couple other tricks to see if he can narrow down the problem. We can't solve the issue. I reached out to @askcarbon and he is quick to respond. He immediately starts giving suggestion to get it to work, none of them work. Eventually I just tell Remington to go ahead and put on my old steering wheel because at this point I'm just spending money on labor for nothing. @askcarbon speaks with engineering team and says he will get back to me. The next day he contacts me and says the way to fix it is take out the old module in my OEM steering wheel and replace it with my new one and change a few wires here and there and I should be good to go. Now I have to make a decision where there is no point of return. If I piece meal my old steering wheel with my new one and it doesn't succeed I don't have a steering wheel anymore. At this point i'm $1500 plus into this project and so i went to an old shop that had a good electrical guy to help me finish this. He changes at the module and we get the steering wheel on and only half of steering wheel buttons work. Long story short we trouble shoot a bunch of things and end up using every single piece of my old steering wheel and use the frame of the new one to get everything operational. At this point I was highly frustrated. I reached out to @askcarbon and told him the deal. Told him I was disappointed with the whole situation. He went on to basically go on a long tangent about how he did is job and I should stop complaining. Overall if I'm buying a steering wheel that is advertised as plug and play I shouldn't have to spend an extra 400 bucks to have some one combine the old parts with my new one to get it to work. Lesson learned I will never try and upgrade a to a custom steering wheel. For whatever reason the custom ones are just not the same quality of an OEM. I wanted to let you guys know my experience just in case you see adds on here about custom steering wheels. Others have had good experiences but I did not. It was not worth the money or the head ache. I honestly don't think the guy intentionally scammed me or sent me a defective wheel on purpose. Buyer beware!

I hope this was helpful.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:25 AM

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
2017 AMG C63
That sounds like it was a very frustrating process. However I can tell you the final product looks great! Appreciate you sharing your experience on this .
The following users liked this post:
Michael_W_ (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by LessIsMore
That sounds like it was a very frustrating process. However I can tell you the final product looks great! Appreciate you sharing your experience on this .
Yes very frustrating process. Overall I think it turned out pretty well. I may regret the white leather at some point but right now I love it.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by Michael_W_
I hope this was helpful.

I like the products and thought about getting it but after reading this .... not worth the money
Old 07-21-2020, 05:59 PM

Received 149 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Yes very frustrating process. Overall I think it turned out pretty well. I may regret the white leather at some point but right now I love it.
i like how the white leather looks with the white body. I might just go to an upholstery shop and tell them to re do mine too!
Michael_W_ (07-22-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 06:07 PM

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
2017 AMG C63
Agreed that the white was a nice touch!

However I would love to hear your thoughts in a year from now lol
Old 07-22-2020, 01:16 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
2019 C63S coupe
I and other members have had great experiences with the same seller @ASKCarbon. He is a sponsor of my build also, I CHOSE them mainly because their products are solid and same with their customer service!!

I had 0 Problems Retrofitting a FACELIFT 2020 AMG Wheel onto my 2018 GLE63s. You need to keep in mind you are fitting a CUSTOM steering wheel onto your car, even if it is advertised as plug n play, glitches do occur and troubleshooting is sometimes required. This is what you look for in a competent & reliable installer. From what you are saying, I think your anger should be directed toward your installer, as he charged you 400$ for a job that would have taken you 20 minutes to do in your garage with simple tools. Looks like you are not really familiar with the steering wheel because all your installer did was take out the original module from your stock wheel (3 screws) and place it into your new one. This means the firmware was different. THIS IS A SIMPLE SWAP. Please Ask him why he charged you 400$ for this. I can send you a tutorial WITH Pictures showing you how easy this is. How can this compromise your stock wheel in any way? Its swapping the module from one wheel to the other. I think your installer took you for a ride, and somehow you are taking your blame out on the parts seller. Ask Carbon sold you the parts correct? how is he responsible for installation? If he gave you suggestions on how to fix it, and it eventually worked how are they at fault. Makes no sense to me. You even said he replied to you in timely manner with solutions on how to fix the problem. Seems like a slanderous post to me. Distasteful

I highly suggest them to anyone.

Last edited by Beast; 07-22-2020 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by Beast
I and other members have had great experiences with the same seller @ASKCarbon. He is a sponsor of my build also, I CHOSE them mainly because their products are solid and same with their customer service!!

I had 0 Problems Retrofitting a FACELIFT 2020 AMG Wheel onto my 2018 GLE63s. You need to keep in mind you are fitting a CUSTOM steering wheel onto your car, even if it is advertised as plug n play, glitches do occur and troubleshooting is sometimes required. This is what you look for in a competent & reliable installer. From what you are saying, I think your anger should be directed toward your installer, as he charged you 400$ for a job that would have taken you 20 minutes to do in your garage with simple tools. Looks like you are not really familiar with the steering wheel because all your installer did was take out the original module from your stock wheel (3 screws) and place it into your new one. This means the firmware was different. THIS IS A SIMPLE SWAP. Please Ask him why he charged you 400$ for this. I can send you a tutorial WITH Pictures showing you how easy this is. How can this compromise your stock wheel in any way? Its swapping the module from one wheel to the other. I think your installer took you for a ride, and somehow you are taking your blame out on the parts seller. Ask Carbon sold you the parts correct? how is he responsible for installation? If he gave you suggestions on how to fix it, and it eventually worked how are they at fault. Makes no sense to me. You even said he replied to you in timely manner with solutions on how to fix the problem. Seems like a slanderous post to me. Distasteful

Are you serious ... slanderous ??? He tell it like it is and in the end he love the product.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:28 AM

Received 206 Likes on 133 Posts
C63 S Coupe
Hey guys,

So there was a previous thread started by another member who installed a face lift steering wheel.
Sorry to be blunt but that's one of the most tacky looking steering wheels I've ever seen in my life. What is that sh*t? Faux carbon fibre leather? F*cken yuck!

Put your old steering wheel back on and offload this on Ebay.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 521 Likes on 353 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by George_1992
Sorry to be blunt but that's one of the most tacky looking steering wheels I've ever seen in my life. What is that sh*t? Faux carbon fibre leather? F*cken yuck!

Felt the same. Especially the fake carbon leather...... sorry to hear about the troubles OP but that's one strange looking Chinese steering wheel

George_1992 (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 06:43 AM

Received 206 Likes on 133 Posts
C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by Jimmy_c63s
Felt the same. Especially the fake carbon leather...... sorry to hear about the troubles OP but that's one strange looking Chinese steering wheel
Reminds me of the high school kids steering wheels.............. in the early 2000's you know that brand bro auto something

Old 07-22-2020, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 521 Likes on 353 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
Reminds me of the high school kids steering wheels.............. in the early 2000's you know that brand bro auto something
Those were the days hahaha...... be driving a nissan silvia S13 non turbo CA18DE you spot a senior citizen in a 911 at the lights and be like

Old 07-22-2020, 08:15 AM

Don't lie. You are just jealous

Love the roast session.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:24 AM

Just giving my experience. I had to replace everything in the new steering wheel with every button from my old one. He did reply to me when I asked questions I stated that in my experience. I was told it was plug and play. Not, piece meal my old steering wheel to the new one. Regardless of how much I paid, the thing is I had to spend several hours trying to figure this out. Time is money so that is where it hurt the most. It is possible I'm the only one who has had issues with the product.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 AMG GT
I agree that the steering wheel looks good. All storefront operators like askcarbon, and CKM have terrible customer service. Going straight to the manufacturer appears to be the only people willing to help. For the future, if there are after market items you want (such as an updated command screen) I highly recommend DMP Car Designs. Their customer service is better than any I have seen. I'll post my installs once I have the time to do it.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 307 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
My few cents worth....

The steering wheel looks nice, but def not my thing , I think the WHITE will turn and you will have maint issues with it.
Along that line, I dont like the carbon "look" , either it is , or it isnt..

But in the end, I dont have to look at it when I drive, you do :-)

with respect to your install, etc.. I think it should be understood that ALL modifications, add-ons, etc etc all come with a degree of "modification" and hands on when installing.
The swap of items, could not be more then 20-30 minutes, and I am pleased to hear that askcarbon replied and issued you solutions.

Enjoy the RIDE and your NEW WHEEL... thats what its all about... deep breath and WHOO SAAAAAWWW

Beast (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 11:19 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
2019 C63S coupe

Originally Posted by Jimmy_c63s

uhh thats not fake carbon fiber. It looks like a satin finish.....

Heres mine that i got from the same seller in Gloss finish...

Last edited by Beast; 07-22-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 421 Likes on 304 Posts
AMG C63s
uhh thats not fake carbon fiber. It looks like a satin finish.....

Heres mine that i got from the same seller in Gloss finish...

I know you guys like CF all over the place but these look overdone to me - way too busy for my taste.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 C63s
I do find it odd how some people are arguing that this type of experience should be expected when something is marked as "plug and play". The whole definition of plug and play is that there is no need for reconfiguration or adjustment. If I was told it was plug and play and then experienced the issues above I wouldn't be happy.

I've had and known plenty of people that have had custom wheels made over the years, the majority have been plug and play but some have required changes to be made but the companies selling the product have always made it clear. Poor workmanship, materials or trying to hide the fact that additional work is required seems like poor form. Yes, mistakes happen and items can be damaged but how companies deal with mistakes and issues is what sets them apart. Are there no laws over in the US that help protect the buyer in such circumstances?

OrientBlue3 (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 307 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
Originally Posted by Tom⠀
I do find it odd how some people are arguing that this type of experience should be expected when something is marked as "plug and play". The whole definition of plug and play is that there is no need for reconfiguration or adjustment. If I was told it was plug and play and then experienced the issues above I wouldn't be happy.

I've had and known plenty of people that have had custom wheels made over the years, the majority have been plug and play but some have required changes to be made but the companies selling the product have always made it clear. Poor workmanship, materials or trying to hide the fact that additional work is required seems like poor form. Yes, mistakes happen and items can be damaged but how companies deal with mistakes and issues is what sets them apart. Are there no laws over in the US that help protect the buyer in such circumstances?
yea ok....