Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing hub cap - disc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2020 | 03:43 PM

C63s Cab (2018)
Removing hub cap - disc

I’ve run into an issue where the center piece comes off, but not the disc around it. This isn’t causing a current issue, but it’ll be an issue when I try to put on winter tires in a few months. Anyone experience this? How can I get this disc out?

Old 07-22-2020 | 06:51 PM

amg C63s
Is your car on warranty? If so let the dealer take care of it. Most likely needs a new center cap assembly. $400+ !
Old 07-22-2020 | 06:53 PM

C63s Cab (2018)
Originally Posted by mstraka
Is your car on warranty? If so let the dealer take care of it. Most likely needs a new center cap assembly. $400+ !

yes it’s under warranty for another 2 years.

couple issues, the hub caps were ordered off eBay lol (dealer doesn’t know that and I regret making that purchase now). But the dealer tried to get it off and can’t.

But I thought tires/rims aren’t covered under warranty..?
Old 07-22-2020 | 06:57 PM

C63s, the good sounding one
This.

Sorry buddy but your probably F’ed and going to need to replace hub assembly.

If you can, re-insert the center and try to get the entire cover out. If you’re able to remove it, be sure to lubricate before putting it back on. I ALWAYS put a dab of grease on the threads before putting cap back on.

Use a lot of penetrating lubricant around the seam, then leave overnight.

Last edited by FlightC63; 07-22-2020 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 07-22-2020 | 07:07 PM

C63s Cab (2018)
Originally Posted by FlightC63
This.

Sorry buddy but your probably F’ed and going to need to replace hub assembly.

If you can, re-insert the center and try to get the entire cover out. If you’re able to remove it, be sure to lubricate before putting it back on. I ALWAYS put a dab of grease on the threads before putting cap back on.

Use a lot of penetrating lubricant around the seam, then leave overnight.

it’s not the tread. It’s the fact that it’s not OEM. I think the hub cap doesn’t have a strong e light grip on the disc. So when I unscrew the center cap, it comes off of the disc and then I end up with this. And a replacement is $505 plus tax. For 1 lol
Old 07-22-2020 | 07:20 PM

amg C63s
It looks like the cover is made of metal, so no fooling the dealer that its a mercedes part. Does the missing center cap have the threads on it to hold the assembly secure to the wheel. If so then the remaining cover is just held by its inner tabs that fit in the lug bolt holes. How about a three arm gear puller with its arms fitting under the exposed inner edge of the cover? Maybe try JB Weld to secure the cap to the cover? Just don't get any of it on the threads.
Old 07-22-2020 | 07:29 PM

C63s Cab (2018)
It looks like the cover is made of metal, so no fooling the dealer that its a mercedes part. Does the missing center cap have the threads on it to hold the assembly secure to the wheel. If so then the remaining cover is just held by its inner tabs that fit in the lug bolt holes. How about a three arm gear puller with its arms fitting under the exposed inner edge of the cover? Maybe try JB Weld to secure the cap to the cover? Just don't get any of it on the threads.

I have the center cap and it does have threads on it to hold it in place. Yes, the disc has the inner tabs that fit into the lug bolt holes.

what’s a 3 arm gear puller? Would you mind sending an amazon link? I feel like I know what you’re talking about, but not 100% sure.

i can’t use JB Weld because at this point I can’t get the cap to touch the disc. The center cap only goes so far (due to the tread) and it never actually touches the disc. Even if it did, it would be hard to put it on/take it off if the center cap and disc are perfectly synchronized. Cause what if once the tread goes in, the inner tabs don’t line up with the lug nut holes?
Old 07-22-2020 | 08:23 PM

2019 AMG C63
Can you run some fishing line between the disc and rim and form a "lasso" to pull it off?
Old 07-22-2020 | 09:03 PM

C63s Cab (2018)
Originally Posted by 4dr.no
Can you run some fishing line between the disc and rim and form a "lasso" to pull it off?
I don’t see anyway for it to get a grasp on the inside.
Old 07-22-2020 | 10:55 PM

2000 c230 kompressor special edition, 2012 E550 coupe (sold), 2017 C63 sedan (sold), 2018 C63S Coupe
Is there enough of a lip on the inside to get a hook in there? If so possibly use a slide hammer with a hook to try and pull it off?
Old 07-22-2020 | 11:01 PM

amg C63s
There's probably no way to remove the cover without damaging the cover. Is there any reason to save the cover since the cap has broken away from it?
Old 07-22-2020 | 11:07 PM

C63s Cab (2018)
Originally Posted by crazy00c230k
Is there enough of a lip on the inside to get a hook in there? If so possibly use a slide hammer with a hook to try and pull it off?
legit no space to get behind it. Idk what kind of a design this is
Old 07-22-2020 | 11:12 PM

C63s Cab (2018)
There's probably no way to remove the cover without damaging the cover. Is there any reason to save the cover since the cap has broken away from it?
the cap isn’t broken. Just removed.
Old 07-23-2020 | 01:04 AM

2000 c230 kompressor special edition, 2012 E550 coupe (sold), 2017 C63 sedan (sold), 2018 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Karimvnfl
legit no space to get behind it. Idk what kind of a design this is
Crazy, sounds like you might have to attack it from the outside edge then. Perhaps try to sneak something into the outside edge between the rim and cap, like one of these
trim removal tools trim removal tools
with the persuasion of a rubber mallet and try to pry it off? Might at least be able to get one side of it out far enough to get something more substantial behind it and try to pry (like a flat head wrapped in a microfiber cloth or something?). As someone else said I have a feeling your cap might be toast, but hopefully you wont do any real damage to the wheel itself.
Old 07-23-2020 | 01:14 AM

C63s Cab (2018)
Originally Posted by crazy00c230k
Crazy, sounds like you might have to attack it from the outside edge then. Perhaps try to sneak something into the outside edge between the rim and cap, like one of these trim removal tools with the persuasion of a rubber mallet and try to pry it off? Might at least be able to get one side of it out far enough to get something more substantial behind it and try to pry (like a flat head wrapped in a microfiber cloth or something?). As someone else said I have a feeling your cap might be toast, but hopefully you wont do any real damage to the wheel itself.

at this point I’m fine with messing up the cap. Just don’t wanna mess up the rim
Old 07-23-2020 | 09:19 AM

amg C63s
the cap isn’t broken. Just removed.
The Mercedes cover/cap assembly comes off as one piece – unscrew the cap and the cover comes with it. Makes me think it's broken. Can you force a screwdriver under the inner edge of the cover (make a gap separating it from the wheel.) Use the flat blade and leverage the cover away from the wheel (any scratches to the wheel will be hidden with the new cover assembly. Is the cover metal? If so use JB Weld to glue an attached piece to the cover close to the outside of the cover. With adequate cure time JB Weld (not the quick set weld) makes a very strong bond.Use this piece to pull the cover off.
Old 07-23-2020 | 09:23 AM

C63s Cab (2018)
The Mercedes cover/cap assembly comes off as one piece – unscrew the cap and the cover comes with it. Makes me think it's broken. Can you force a screwdriver under the inner edge of the cover (make a gap separating it from the wheel.) Use the flat blade and leverage the cover away from the wheel (any scratches to the wheel will be hidden with the new cover assembly. Is the cover metal? If so use JB Weld to glue an attached piece to the cover close to the outside of the cover. With adequate cure time JB Weld (not the quick set weld) makes a very strong bond.Use this piece to pull the cover off.

that’s the intent, but for whatever reason (probably the quality of these) the center cap came off and the disc didn’t. The center cap lost the grip of the clip that holds it to the disc. And now the disc is just sitting there.

I haven’t been able to get a flat head (smalls of flat heads) between the disc and rim. I can try the jb weld method though. How long you do you think I need to let it sit for?
Old 07-23-2020 | 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
I’ve run into an issue where the center piece comes off, but not the disc around it. This isn’t causing a current issue, but it’ll be an issue when I try to put on winter tires in a few months. Anyone experience this? How can I get this disc out?

If your not worried about the cover, and need to replace anyways, then just JBWeld to that thing , or even drill tap it with some screws.. you just need something that will allow you to get some grip on it to move it.

Old 07-25-2020 | 01:07 PM

c63s
Leaking for the mercedes emblem only for that assembly.

Hi, I’m looking for the Centre emblem only for that assembly. Can you sell me the one on yours that badge is not sold separately and I have to buy the whole assembly for a missing badge. Please help if you can.
Old 07-25-2020 | 01:11 PM

C63s Cab (2018)
Originally Posted by Suren Moodley
Hi, I’m looking for the Centre emblem only for that assembly. Can you sell me the one on yours that badge is not sold separately and I have to buy the whole assembly for a missing badge. Please help if you can.
Hi there, I still need mine as I put the center cap back on the rim (obviously don’t want a hole just sitting there). Your best bet would be to buy a set of 4 hub cap assemblies from eBay and then you can use that center cap or pop out the center emblem portion. Sorry I couldn’t help n
Old 07-25-2020 | 01:12 PM

c63s
Thank you

No worries. I appreciate the advice
Old 07-25-2020 | 01:13 PM

C63s Cab (2018)
Originally Posted by Suren Moodley
No worries. I appreciate the advice
I paid just about $600 for a set of 4 hub caps on eBay. It was $600 after all taxes fees and shipped. 1 from the dealer would’ve cost me $560 after taxes.
Old 07-25-2020 | 03:53 PM

C63s, the good sounding one
There is nothing else to release before the center disk can be removed. It is wedged inside the wheel opening by grit and dirt, they fit closely. Spray penetrating lubricant all around the outside of the center disk, leave it overnight. Then using anything that will provide leverage, start to slowly pry off the center disk. I would recommend a broom handle with a rag between it and the disk so that it isn’t damaged. Use light pressure and rotate around the disk prying from all angles, like you cross tighten a wheel. Increase the pressure just a little each time you go around.

See if you can remove one from one of the other wheels. You’ll see there is nothing else holding it. It’s just wedged in there.
Old 07-25-2020 | 07:25 PM

amg C63s
Perhaps along with the good above suggestions if the first attempts don't work - a rubber mallet along the outside of the cover to jar it loose and go back to the above suggestion.
Old 07-25-2020 | 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Before JBweld and other destructive means you may want to try this called internal spud wrench.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Pasco-4562-PASCO-4-Internal-Spud-Wrench?gclid=CjwKCAjwsO_4BRBBEiwAyagRTd6KsWCXUlmIQ zEysSwrlCydfXFEv-ftpKmN6gTKf6LSnm_7POq5hxoC0LwQAvD_BwE

before trying to do that apply some lubricant to the thread to loosen it up a little.

Last edited by tobeit; 07-25-2020 at 08:17 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Removing hub cap - disc