Matte ppf over gloss - c63s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 10:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 C63s coupe
Matte ppf over gloss - c63s

Hello,

I am new here and just bought a 2020 c63s. It's coming in selenite grey and I'm interested in the xpel stealth ppf.

I've done my research on here a plenty and went through the posts on this topic. I'm curious, since I want matte to be placed on top of gloss, and the PPF needs to wrap around every aspect of the car to avoid the matte/gloss contradiction, does the car need to come apart to successfully underwrap? Doesn't seem like something I want to bother with if that is true.

A local ppf company told me they would not do the stealth over gloss because of this reason.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2020, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 421 Likes on 304 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by Cerealcreep
Hello,

I am new here and just bought a 2020 c63s. It's coming in selenite grey and I'm interested in the xpel stealth ppf.

I've done my research on here a plenty and went through the posts on this topic. I'm curious, since I want matte to be placed on top of gloss, and the PPF needs to wrap around every aspect of the car to avoid the matte/gloss contradiction, does the car need to come apart to successfully underwrap? Doesn't seem like something I want to bother with if that is true.

A local ppf company told me they would not do the stealth over gloss because of this reason.

Thanks
I am no expert but do it 100% right where you don't see anything anywhere...I am sure things have to come apart (same as painting). A good wrap guy can hide most of it but not all edges, undercuts, inside seams etc
Old 07-29-2020, 11:33 AM

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s amg w213............2017 C63s Coupe W205
Hello,

Thanks
Yes - both bumpers, fenders, all lamps, any spoilers/diffusers, doors disassembled etc etc etc. Its actually less expensive to wrap in matte grey vinyl, than it is to use xpel stealth in most cases. Which is dumb. We just did a porsche macan for a customer and the total bill was $5500
The following users liked this post:
Cylinder Head (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 561 Likes on 371 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by sinister.c63s
Yes - both bumpers, fenders, all lamps, any spoilers/diffusers, doors disassembled etc etc etc. Its actually less expensive to wrap in matte grey vinyl, than it is to use xpel stealth in most cases. Which is dumb. We just did a porsche macan for a customer and the total bill was $5500
good info, that is very interesting. What’s the going rate for a full wrap nowadays?
Old 07-29-2020, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,584 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yes as said above, for a full wrap done properly there's a bunch of stuff that has to come off the car. I was considering it for my Obsidian black. It does look good if done well, I've seen some examples, but it just wasn't worth it to me. Also, if you like to wear polarized sunglasses like me, the stealth wrap is much more prone to looking distorted and blotchy with them. Something that would bother me a lot. Ultimately, it's what also discouraged me from getting any of the Magno paints. You essentially have to do a full wrap with Magno paint if you want the paint to still look great down the road. Just doesn't seem to be worth the cost.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:22 PM

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s amg w213............2017 C63s Coupe W205
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
good info, that is very interesting. What’s the going rate for a full wrap nowadays?
around $4k at a good place - anyone who quotes you under $3k wont be doing it throughly IMO
Old 08-01-2020, 01:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
C63S
Check out this thread for pics of selenite grey gloss wrapped in matte

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...atte-wrap.html
Old 08-01-2020, 01:41 AM

C63S
I have my matte car wrapped in Xpel stealth and the wrap doesn't go all the way to the edges. This is actually a selling point for Xpel in that they have a database of templates and the film is laser cut. The alternative of removing panels and trimming film with a blade can cause issues.
Not going all the way to the edges when it's matte on matte is not really noticeable unless you really get up close and know where to look. I'm not sure what matte on gloss would be like.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by d4md
I have my matte car wrapped in Xpel stealth and the wrap doesn't go all the way to the edges. This is actually a selling point for Xpel in that they have a database of templates and the film is laser cut. The alternative of removing panels and trimming film with a blade can cause issues.
Not going all the way to the edges when it's matte on matte is not really noticeable unless you really get up close and know where to look. I'm not sure what matte on gloss would be like.
The templates are customizable. They don't cut the film on the car if you request the edges to be wrapped. They instead customize the templates and cut the film. The templates are actually not prefect. A good installer will know how to customize them to make them fit properly. My installer had to change the front bumper template to make it work better around the headlights. Wrapping the edges is not just so you don't see the film, but also to avoid having a rock hit an exposed edge of a panel and leave a chip. Murhpy's law will make that happen. Dirt and wax also tends to collect at the edge of the film. With matte on gloss you definitely want the edges to be wrapped or you basically have shiny lines along all the panels.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:00 AM

C63S
Originally Posted by superswiss
The templates are customizable. They don't cut the film on the car if you request the edges to be wrapped. They instead customize the templates and cut the film. The templates are actually not prefect. A good installer will know how to customize them to make them fit properly. My installer had to change the front bumper template to make it work better around the headlights. Wrapping the edges is not just so you don't see the film, but also to avoid having a rock hit an exposed edge of a panel and leave a chip. Murhpy's law will make that happen. Dirt and wax also tends to collect at the edge of the film. With matte on gloss you definitely want the edges to be wrapped or you basically have shiny lines along all the panels.
There are some places that just can't be wrapped because of the contour of the panel and the nature of the film. PPF is thicker and less malleable than a vinyl wrap and they have to make relief cuts in some concave areas or the film will bubble.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:15 PM

2020 C63s coupe
I found a viable vendor, I believe, to do the matte wrap over the glossy selenite grey. His email after I asked him about wrapping and showing lines/glossy paint:

"We do not cut film on the car, all film is computer cut and modified not to show glossy paint unless it is inside of door jambs. We do not cover those areas because of time and cost to customer. All edges are wrapped and sealed."

This sounds to me like the right answer. Thoughts? And the company seems legit from the website and years of experience they claim.

Someone else posted they got work done at this vendor - Auto Image out of Barrington, IL

Thanks
Old 08-02-2020, 07:10 PM

2020 C63s coupe
What is needed to maintain a matte wrap? Any special processes needed to wash correctly? Do I need to seal? Regular basis? Do I need to buy matte-only car wash soap, or is that for matte paint only?

Thanks
Old 08-02-2020, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
What is needed to maintain a matte wrap? Any special processes needed to wash correctly? Do I need to seal? Regular basis? Do I need to buy matte-only car wash soap, or is that for matte paint only?

Thanks
Well, you basically don't wanna use anything that adds shine, but otherwise since it's not a clear coat it doesn't have all the issues that matte paint has. Xpel Stealth is also still self-healing, so any minor scratches should disappear on their own just by parking the car in the sun. The self-healing is activated though heat.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:35 PM

2020 C63s coupe
Ceramic coating adds shine, no? I had a vendor try to sell this on top of the stealth. Thoughts?

Thanks for your time
Old 08-02-2020, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
There is ceramic coating specifically designed for matte or satin finishes. Although, ceramic coating on top of PPF seems questionable value at best. The whole car is already protected and PPF is easier to clean already.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:09 PM

C63S
I found a viable vendor, I believe, to do the matte wrap over the glossy selenite grey. His email after I asked him about wrapping and showing lines/glossy paint:

"We do not cut film on the car, all film is computer cut and modified not to show glossy paint unless it is inside of door jambs. We do not cover those areas because of time and cost to customer. All edges are wrapped and sealed."

This sounds to me like the right answer. Thoughts? And the company seems legit from the website and years of experience they claim.

Someone else posted they got work done at this vendor - Auto Image out of Barrington, IL

Thanks
Sounds promising 👍

Keen to see the pics!
Old 08-02-2020, 08:25 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
Congrats on the car and welcome! What is your favorite type of cereal? Any pics of the car or is that a different thread? Keep it clean!
Old 08-02-2020, 08:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2020 C63s Sedan
Congrats on the new car. I also just picked up a new c63s sedan with Iridium Silver Metallic paint and had it wrapped in a stealth PPF. My local shop uses Stek Automotive product but similar outcome. You want to make sure to use a credible shop. The entire point of the xpel Stealth and Stek DynoMatt PPF is to get that matte finish on a gloss finish. There are some tricky spots to tackle on the c63 so if the shop isn't competent then it will show. The shop took the front bumper apart and pulled it off the car to do it right. I also had them paint the grill black so it was an additional reason to pull it off. They did a chrome delete so they pulled the door handles off to wrap them. For just the Stek DynoMatt wrap I paid around $5k. Its a heavier material with better protection than a color change wrap. Added some pics as the shop did the work and a finished pic. I got the work done at Diamond Auto Salon (@thediamondautosalon on Insta) Check out their account for samples of other gloss cars wrapped in Matte PPF.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cory Dawson:
d4md (08-03-2020), Michael_W_ (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 07:59 AM

2020 C63s coupe
They did a beautiful job!
Cory Dawson (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 08:01 AM

2020 C63s coupe
I do half Kellogg corn flakes and half Kelloggs chocolate delight. Give it a try!

I don't have the car yet. I bought it out of state so I'm waiting patiently until it arrives. Patience is running thin.

Originally Posted by hyperion667
Congrats on the car and welcome! What is your favorite type of cereal? Any pics of the car or is that a different thread? Keep it clean!
hyperion667 (08-03-2020)