ARMASPEED Carbon Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 Mercedes Benz C63s
Smile ARMASPEED Carbon Cold Air Intake

Hey guys,

I just installed ARMASPEED's carbon fiber cold air intake on my 2016 Mercedes C63S AMG. I have to say this intake definitely had an increase to my top end power, along with the benefits of an amazing look under the hood and the sound of the turbos! I noticed my horsepower and torque gains go up after installation and would highly recommend this intake over other competitors in the market. The heat dissipation feature works as claimed, and noticed all the hot air create gain flows after hard abusing of the AMG. The best part of this intake is its direct bolt on and it was one of the easiest installs I have ever done to this car for engine work. These gains were noticeable without a tune! I then had tuned my car to a stage 2 and noticed how much more effective the ARMASPEED intake was to my vehicle. You guys should check it out.

Thanks

Old 03-15-2021, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 421 Likes on 304 Posts
AMG C63s
Thanks for the report on that intake. I looked at that intake vs Eventuri and Wagner and was curious. The intake tubes seems very narrow/flat right at the filter attachment and if I remember correctly, the filter housing has slits on the side to make it a semi-open design vs fully closed design. What do you mean with "heat dissipation feature"? Thanks again, looking good.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:56 AM

Received 298 Likes on 214 Posts
AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Are the front air vents going directly into the airbox or just under the filters in an open bottom box?
Old 03-15-2021, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
Are the front air vents going directly into the airbox or just under the filters in an open bottom box?
it's a semi enclosed air-box ...but the slits is what I always wondered about...making it what I call semi open

Old 03-15-2021, 11:11 AM

AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by tobeit
it's a semi enclosed air-box ...but the slits is what I always wondered about...making it what I call semi open
After experimenting around a tad, I believe the airboxes have to be closed and the BOV venting back into the airbox or you are going to see some low RPM turbo lag. I wonder why this company doesn't show any data on their intake?

Just for the record....I am wrong a lot....lol....
Old 03-15-2021, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
After experimenting around a tad, I believe the airboxes have to be closed and the BOV venting back into the airbox or you are going to see some low RPM turbo lag. I wonder why this company doesn't show any data on their intake?

Just for the record....I am wrong a lot....lol....
In this case the Arma speed to vent back into the intake...because that plumb back is between filter and turbo the slits don't matter for that purpose (same as MW intakes and BMS). The slits just make it like semi enclosed probably similar in effect as the box from MW which is also not air tight closed.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:22 PM

AMG GLC 63s Coupe
In this case the Arma speed to vent back into the intake...because that plumb back is between filter and turbo the slits don't matter for that purpose (same as MW intakes and BMS). The slits just make it like semi enclosed probably similar in effect as the box from MW which is also not air tight closed.
That makes sense but what are the slits doing besides letting you hear more spool? Aren't they also sucking in more hot air?

Trending Topics

Old 03-15-2021, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
That makes sense but what are the slits doing besides letting you hear more spool? Aren't they also sucking in more hot air?
Well, experts have to chime in - balance between hot air vs more air, I guess. Because they point away from the turbo's it may make it a little better than just open or with a simple heatshield...but would hope the manufacturer could enlighten us what made them add the slits. When I asked a few months back I never got an answer.
Old 03-15-2021, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
I regretted that I sold mine. I bought a used one and never installed.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 307 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
Well, experts have to chime in - balance between hot air vs more air, I guess. Because they point away from the turbo's it may make it a little better than just open or with a simple heatshield...but would hope the manufacturer could enlighten us what made them add the slits. When I asked a few months back I never got an answer.
I never got a response either .... :-(
Old 03-16-2021, 11:19 AM

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
I had emailed them about it back in Dec 2020:

"Why are there openings/slits in the airbox on the sides? Wouldn't this allow hot air from the engine to be sucked in as well, decreasing intake efficiency?I asked the staff at Speedwell, and they mentioned something about a variable vacuum tube that I honestly didn't understand, so they referred me to contacting you directly."

Their response:

"
Thank you for your inquire.

The slits on the sides is built to make the air goes smooth. Air comes in from the tube goes to the airbox, imagine when the box is full of cold air, it may case the turbulence. So that’s the slits on the sides to help the air comes in and out. And in case of heat created, it will comes out from the slits as well. (the heat sinks to the bottom so it will goes out from the slits)

I hope you get the theory now.

Armaspeed

Hua"

So basically, it's to decrease turbulent flow ie help aid in smooth laminar flow. Having said that, I have an Armaspeed I'm not using that I'm looking to sell if anyone's interested
Old 03-16-2021, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by FDNewbie

"Why are there openings/slits in the airbox on the sides? Wouldn't this allow hot air from the engine to be sucked in as well, decreasing intake efficiency?I asked the staff at Speedwell, and they mentioned something about a variable vacuum tube that I honestly didn't understand, so they referred me to contacting you directly."

Their response:

"

The slits on the sides is built to make the air goes smooth. Air comes in from the tube goes to the airbox, imagine when the box is full of cold air, it may case the turbulence. So that’s the slits on the sides to help the air comes in and out. And in case of heat created, it will comes out from the slits as well. (the heat sinks to the bottom so it will goes out from the slits)

Armaspeed

Hua"

So basically, it's to decrease turbulent flow ie help aid in smooth laminar flow. Having said that, I have an Armaspeed I'm not using that I'm looking to sell if anyone's interested
I studied physics and not thermodynamics in particular but that does not make a ton of sense to me. a) I would hope the air getting sucked in from the front is always a little cooler than the air under the hood next to the turbo - so heat going out seems unlikely, b) slits on the side don't make a turbulent flow a laminar flow....to remove turbulence is actually very hard and requires very careful flow dynamics design with baffles and ridges etc and some slits on the side would not do that (at least not that I would understand it), c) also, seems an oxymoron - we want to get as much air into the turbo and what they are saying if its "too much cold" air the slits allow for some to escape (to avoid turbulence)...uhm, maybe I miss the boat entirely here but I am not following. The only reason I can think off is to suck in more air than possible through front but that would be hotter air than what comes from the front...at least very likely its hotter...
The following users liked this post:
FLC63s (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 12:57 PM

AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by FDNewbie

Their response:

"

Armaspeed

Hua"

That makes almost no sense at all and would discourage me from buying their product. Plus they don't show any data.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That makes almost no sense at all and would discourage me from buying their product. Plus they don't show any data.
lol right...

well the air goes in here, then it does something, then goes there.. but if it dont like it, it goes over here.. blah blah blah.. if you turn to quick you will create a tornado under your hood...
Old 03-16-2021, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by FLC63s
lol right...

well the air goes in here, then it does something, then goes there.. but if it dont like it, it goes over here.. blah blah blah.. if you turn to quick you will create a tornado under your hood...
..tornado it is.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:41 PM

AMG GLC 63s Coupe
lol right...

At least they invented hot air that lowers vs raises. That is a really big accomplishment within itself.

Holy Cow....I assumed this was a $600 intake. At $2k+ they better do some testing and show some data. I would easily pick Modal over this.

At any moment I assume yall are going to tell me to get off your forum and go back to mine...lol. The GLC AMG forum is so boring.

I actually used to hang out at a BMWX3 forum but I got banned for always saying that the 63 was a better beast...
Old 03-16-2021, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

At least they invented hot air that lowers vs raises. That is a really big accomplishment within itself.

Holy Cow....I assumed this was a $600 intake. At $2k+ they better do some testing and show some data. I would easily pick Modal over this.

At any moment I assume yall are going to tell me to get off your forum and go back to mine...lol. The GLC AMG forum is so boring.
Hey man, we are all here because we love the AMG brand.. some areas on the forum are less active then others, and all are welcome all over :-) of course , when it comes to specifics on your model etc, its gonna be best to post in "your" section.. but welcome to the AMG 205 ... lol
Old 03-16-2021, 02:59 PM

AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Hey man, we are all here because we love the AMG brand.. some areas on the forum are less active then others, and all are welcome all over :-) of course , when it comes to specifics on your model etc, its gonna be best to post in "your" section.. but welcome to the AMG 205 ... lol
Naw man...yall will kick me out when I start saying that my GLC is faster than yalls C63s...BTW...it is but I won't tell anyone......
Old 03-18-2021, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Naw man...yall will kick me out when I start saying that my GLC is faster than yalls C63s...BTW...it is but I won't tell anyone......
I'll take that challenge :-) hehehe
Old 03-18-2021, 11:54 AM

AMG GLC 63s Coupe
I'll take that challenge :-) hehehe
Everyone knows that you are a cheater with tunes and bolt-ons and bikini girls....

I would never modify a car......

...but.....I am in, if you come to Texas and we go from a dead stop and nothing over an 1/8 mile...lol....

Crap....if I keep hanging out on this forum, my gut tells me I will add a C63s to my collection. Kick me off here already.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Everyone knows that you are a cheater with tunes and bolt-ons and bikini girls....

I would never modify a car......

...but.....I am in, if you come to Texas and we go from a dead stop and nothing over an 1/8 mile...lol....

Crap....if I keep hanging out on this forum, my gut tells me I will add a C63s to my collection. Kick me off here already.
I have a house in Lakeway ( lake travis) and have my G63 there.. we can race that... it only has a small RennTech sticker lol
Old 03-18-2021, 12:05 PM

AMG GLC 63s Coupe
I have a house in Lakeway ( lake travis) and have my G63 there.. we can race that... it only has a small RennTech sticker lol
That's a deal.

Can I get a set of keys for the lakehouse? I want to make sure that it is safe and ready for you at the second of the moment that you want to come.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's a deal.

Can I get a set of keys for the lakehouse? I want to make sure that it is safe and ready for you at the second of the moment that you want to come.
lol how and why you think I got bikini girls.. lol... my Ex GF "checks in on it" lol I am sure my boat is permanently at C&C's <- if they still open ...
Old 03-18-2021, 12:14 PM

AMG GLC 63s Coupe
lol how and why you think I got bikini girls.. lol... my Ex GF "checks in on it" lol I am sure my boat is permanently at C&C's <- if they still open ...
Your EX has no vested interest and isn't out for your best like I am...I will kick her out of there.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your EX has no vested interest and isn't out for your best like I am...I will kick her out of there.
lol

I would sell tickets for that event..