Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk sound on slow speed turns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2021 | 12:11 AM

2017 C63S Coupe
Clunk sound on slow speed turns

Well I recently upsized my tires to 275/305 on stock height and started noticing a clunk type sound on slow tight turns when parking. Im a little baffled because I did my research and there are multiple members here with the same setup who have not had any problems. With that being said im having a hard time blaming the tires for this but car is still under warranty so im taking it to the dealer day after tomorrow and will report back what they say.

Given my poor experiences at Mercedes dealership a part of me is already prepared for them to turn me down and blame it on the tires because they are not OEM. If that happens, I will try other dealers and hopefully not everyone will be so picky.

Last edited by untamedd; 05-04-2021 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-04-2021 | 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by untamedd
Well I recently upsized my tires to 275/305 on stock height and started noticing a clunk type sound on slow tight turns when parking.
The wheel bolts are proper tight yeah?

Does it sound more like a "click click"?
Old 05-04-2021 | 04:03 PM

2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Jimmy_c63s
The wheel bolts are proper tight yeah?

Does it sound more like a "click click"?
tbh i havent checked but i sure would think that thay are proper tight because I took it to a tire shop to have them retorqued too after the recommended 50km driving.

also i tried to reproduce the sound while car was parked by turning the steering wheel all the way on either side but didnt hear anything.

as far as the sound goes i think its similar to this video
1:12 - 1:15

Old 05-05-2021 | 01:29 PM

2017 C63S Coupe
of course i take it to the dealer today and the car decides to not make any sounds. uh why does this always happen
Old 05-06-2021 | 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

of course i take it to the dealer today and the car decides to not make any sounds. uh why does this always happen
You checked all the wheel bolts aye? Reason I ask is I've lost 2 wheel bolts on my C63 coupe because I didn't use a torque wrench a few years ago.
Now I always make sure they're tightened 130nm as per user manual especially after I get new tires and a shop installs the wheels, i'll check when I get home.

Mine was making clicking noises during u-turns each time I lost my wheel bolts.

Now, if it's not your wheel bolts it's either your wheel bearing or pad knockback. But the pad knockback is more like a "toong" metallic sound.
Old 05-07-2021 | 01:57 PM

2017 C63S Coupe
You checked all the wheel bolts aye? Reason I ask is I've lost 2 wheel bolts on my C63 coupe because I didn't use a torque wrench a few years ago.
Now I always make sure they're tightened 130nm as per user manual especially after I get new tires and a shop installs the wheels, i'll check when I get home.

Mine was making clicking noises during u-turns each time I lost my wheel bolts.

Now, if it's not your wheel bolts it's either your wheel bearing or pad knockback. But the pad knockback is more like a "toong" metallic sound.
check this 4:40 - 4:47. thats the kind of sound i hear when i turn to the left also. even this guy hears it sometime but then other times he doesnt

I dont get how the dealer tech said he didnt hear anything. he was like come back after covid restrictions are lifted so we can go on a drive together but thats not an option since my warranty is gonna be up in a month! Will book another appointment!

Last edited by untamedd; 05-07-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-15-2021 | 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't get how the dealer tech said he didnt hear anything. he was like come back after covid restrictions are lifted so we can go on a drive together but thats not an option since my warranty is gonna be up in a month! Will book another appointment!
What's the latest on this bro? You still hearing the clunk?

Go to another dealer if you can before that warranty expires ☝
Old 05-15-2021 | 10:52 AM

2017 C63S Coupe
What's the latest on this bro? You still hearing the clunk?

Go to another dealer if you can before that warranty expires ☝
went to the tire shop to get the nuts re torqued so i could at least rule that out. the guy tested them in front of me and they seemed pretty tight but he still double checked them all and since then i havent heard that noise again
Old 05-15-2021 | 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

went to the tire shop to get the nuts re torqued so i could at least rule that out. the guy tested them in front of me and they seemed pretty tight but he still double checked them all and since then i havent heard that noise again
Man that's trip I told you it was the wheel bolts 😂
Old 07-02-2021 | 08:56 AM

2017 C63S Coupe
Man that's trip I told you it was the wheel bolts 😂
looks like the steering rack was the culprit as the sound came back. either way got it replaced under warranty. 2 more weeks left till my warranty expires so hopefully that was the last of it.