Old 07-10-2021 | 09:55 AM

2021 AMG C63 Coupe
Vegas heat 110' Coupe Turbos seem to lag

Is this Normal ?
================================================== =
1. Wake up 6am .. Vegas heat 100' outside
2. Cold start C63 until idle
3. Drive off , allowing the temps and engine flush white
4. Hit the freeway , and the turbos seem gone , that push is non existent?
I can literally push the peddle to the floor and still be 90MPH ...
No error codes, no limp mode
Car runs fine, just the power seems decreased ...

Made an apt at the dealerships , wondering what you guys have experienced with really hot weather that lingers for 24hrs

Old 07-10-2021 | 11:42 AM

2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
Not sure about your C63, but on my E400, when it is really hot, the air conditioning compressor runs full bore a lot more, and I can really feel the drag the compressor places on the engine. It sometimes feels like I'm pulling a big trailer. . .

If I'm going to need all the power the engine can make, I sometimes turn the air conditioner off for a minute.
Old 07-10-2021 | 12:03 PM

2021 AMG C63 Coupe
Coupe is Flawless in every sense
Looks like it could have been the heat and my OCD
The temps here are blistering + Humidty

Went for a Test drive ..
Pre Start [You can see the Temp is already up in Temp]

Showing Engine Data mode , most AMG owners are unaware of this Command Mode
[Vehicle not started]

Back street Run [Test HP and Torque]
1. The Power was on demand
2. Appears both HP and T are at the recommended levels for the gear I was in

Again , strange how the heat.. plays with the mechanics of the Car.

Hey guys, are these good levels for HP and T?

Old 07-10-2021 | 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Your intake temps must be 150 degrees lol. You have a few options.

1 split the cooling with the ptg setup that blocks engine coolant mixing with the intercoolers and install bigger heat exchangers..

2 move lol
Old 07-10-2021 | 12:18 PM

2021 AMG C63 Coupe
In Vegas for the weekend , headed back to So Cali tomorrow. [ Was a short stay]

So you think the extreme heat play havoc at times ?

Old 07-11-2021 | 11:13 AM

2021 C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by skratch77

1 split the cooling with the ptg setup that blocks engine coolant mixing with the intercoolers and install bigger heat exchangers..

2 move lol
For either leaving the car bone stock OR just doing a Stage 1 tjne, such as Renntech, is the upgrade to the cooling system necessary/noticeably beneficial? Or will stock components get the job done,
Old 07-11-2021 | 12:58 PM

2018 C63 W205
Originally Posted by FromV4_to_C63
Is this Normal ?
1. Wake up 6am .. Vegas heat 100' outside
2. Cold start C63 until idle
3. Drive off , allowing the temps and engine flush white
4. Hit the freeway , and the turbos seem gone , that push is nonexistent?
I can literally push the peddle to the floor and still be 90MPH ...
No error codes, no limp mode
Car runs fine, just the power seems decreased ...

Made an apt at the dealerships , wondering what you guys have experienced with really hot weather that lingers for 24hrs
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...xperience.html

You are fine. Take it from the guy that lives in 117^ heat every day. Your car has safety features built in to protect it like A/C Off if overheating, A/C clutch release when at Wide Open Throttle, Timing retard based on water temp and inlet air temp.

Timing retard is most likely what you are experiencing. It’s so hot out that the ECM pulls back timing and your butt dyno feels the lack of thrust.

Hope you had fun in Lost Wages

Originally Posted by SteveE400
Not sure about your C63, but on my E400, when it is really hot, the air conditioning compressor runs full bore a lot more, and I can really feel the drag the compressor places on the engine. It sometimes feels like I'm pulling a big trailer. . .

If I'm going to need all the power the engine can make, I sometimes turn the air conditioner off for a minute.
Same as above – our cars have safety features built in to protect it like A/C Off if overheating, A/C clutch release when at Wide Open Throttle, Timing retard based on water temp and inlet air temp.

Originally Posted by skratch77

1 split the cooling with the PTG setup that blocks engine coolant mixing with the intercoolers and install bigger heat exchangers.
I don’t think he is there yet

Originally Posted by Speeddoc
For either leaving the car bone stock OR just doing a Stage 1 tine, such as Renntech, is the upgrade to the cooling system necessary/noticeably beneficial? Or will stock components get the job done,
​​​​​​​Upgrade is ALWAYS good. However, you do not need to modify the cooling system unless you just want the car to be on blast 24/7. I can make 4 or 5 bonzi runs with no issues. Then I can feel the car retarding and I just drive normal for a few miles and let the intake temps drop. Even if you are in 60^ inlet (outside) temps, repeated blasts will ultimately over leverage the heat exchanger cooling until you chill out for a moment.

Keep in mind Mercedes could have easily created a divorced cooling system for the turbos but “me thinks” it has to do with emissions. They need the air temps to be stabilized to pass smog. My next mod is for sure a divorced heat exchanger for my turbos. I know it will not make more power but it will allow me to make the same insane PTG power for an extended period of time.

Compound all that with the fact my pops just upped his 992.2 Turbo Porsche to 730 AWD HP and I will need all the advantages I can get to tame that beast.

The following users liked this post:
FromV4_to_C63 (07-11-2021)
Old 07-11-2021 | 01:13 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Well, Vegas is in the middle of a desert! But still I sympathize! That's fawking hot. Death Valley has a new record too!
Old 07-11-2021 | 01:51 PM

2021 C63s AMG Coupe
If the cooling system for the turbos is not separate in stock form, as you suggested it may for purpose of passing emissions, then wouldnt upgrading to a separate intercooler for the turbos risk failing a smog test?? I ask because I live in Fresno, CA, where the temps can, and typically are,, fairly brutal from July to September.
Old 07-11-2021 | 10:19 PM

2021 AMG C63 Coupe
Solid info , Big thanks for the education
Again my 1st Turbo Car , I'm still understanding the nuances
Old 07-11-2021 | 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
This doesn't just happen to turbo charged engines. Heat is the enemy of combustion engines for multiple reasons. First off, hot air is much less dense than cold air, so there is less oxygen getting into the combustion chamber for every stroke resulting in lower power output. A similar effect happens at high altitude with the air getting thinner. The turbo chargers are also more likely to surge if the intake air is already hot. A common mod that some people do is an aftermarket cold air intake exactly for this, or meth injection to bring in cooler air, but if your ambient air temp is already over a 100, it's not gonna get much cooler. Turbo charged engines to some degree are less prone to the fluctuation in the air density as they can adjust the boost level to bring in more air, but there are limits and bringing in more air means higher air compression, which in turn means higher air temperatures, so you are back to square one. It works better to compensation for altitude. The ECU will also make the fuel mixture richer as the evaporating fuel cools the combustion chambers, but a rich fuel mixture doesn't burn as well, hence making less power. Every machine has its sweet spot when it comes to temperature. Too cold, and things get too tight, too hot and there is heat soaking and surging. Just like our human bodies. We don't do so well in the heat, either, nor in the cold.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-11-2021 at 11:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
FromV4_to_C63 (07-12-2021), Pbl1 (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021 | 08:42 AM

2021 AMG C63 Coupe
Point made
Old 07-12-2021 | 12:57 PM

AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by superswiss
This doesn't just happen to turbo charged engines. Heat is the enemy of combustion engines for multiple reasons. First off, hot air is much less dense than cold air, so there is less oxygen getting into the combustion chamber for every stroke resulting in lower power output. A similar effect happens at high altitude with the air getting thinner. The turbo chargers are also more likely to surge if the intake air is already hot. A common mod that some people do is an aftermarket cold air intake exactly for this, or meth injection to bring in cooler air, but if your ambient air temp is already over a 100, it's not gonna get much cooler. Turbo charged engines to some degree are less prone to the fluctuation in the air density as they can adjust the boost level to bring in more air, but there are limits and bringing in more air means higher air compression, which in turn means higher air temperatures, so you are back to square one. It works better to compensation for altitude. The ECU will also make the fuel mixture richer as the evaporating fuel cools the combustion chambers, but a rich fuel mixture doesn't burn as well, hence making less power. Every machine has its sweet spot when it comes to temperature. Too cold, and things get too tight, too hot and there is heat soaking and surging. Just like our human bodies. We don't do so well in the heat, either, nor in the cold.
Nothing that Nitrous won't fix......
Old 07-12-2021 | 01:02 PM

2021 C63s AMG Coupe
If the cooling system for the turbos is not separate in stock form, then would upgrading to a separate intercooler for the turbos, or creating a separate cooling circuit for the turbos, risk failing a smog test?? Would such a mod void the warranty? Does anybody have experience with altering their intercoolers on MB and if so does it void your warranty?
Old 07-12-2021 | 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Speeddoc
If the cooling system for the turbos is not separate in stock form, then would upgrading to a separate intercooler for the turbos, or creating a separate cooling circuit for the turbos, risk failing a smog test?? Would such a mod void the warranty? Does anybody have experience with altering their intercoolers on MB and if so does it void your warranty?
It has nothing to do with emissions testing as our cars don't even have secondary air injection to speed up the cat warming process. Can't see how they have anything todo with each other.. splitting the circuit is just that. You block off the path for the coolant to run through the engine block and keep the coolant for the transmission and turbos on there own path. We did this on the e55 back in the day and helped keep intake temps down.

Mercedes would never be able to tell this was done and wouldn't worry about voiding any warranty work.
Old 07-12-2021 | 01:48 PM

2021 C63s AMG Coupe
Thank you.
Old 07-12-2021 | 02:41 PM

2021 C63s AMG Coupe
Is separating the coolant flow enough to address potential temp issues? Or is upgrading the cooling system itself still necessary with these cars? S it unnecessary if I'll be 85% daily driving/spirited/canyons, etc, and only 10-15% on the track with it?
Old 07-12-2021 | 06:06 PM

2021 AMG C63 Coupe
85 is fine , I am sure you will have wind gust of cold air .. I usually do when I start going back downhill

For the sake of this thread , we are talking about

+100' Temps outside [ no wind] with excessive humidity during hard driving.
Eventually the turbo will stop pushing or you will notice non boost.

Old 07-12-2021 | 09:45 PM

2018 C63 W205
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
Nothing that Nitrous won't fix......
Old 07-12-2021 | 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Should we do another debate cone air filter/open air filter mods, good or bad? 😁