C63S Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2021 | 05:55 PM
Xec

IG: @amg.svr
C63S Appreciation Thread

Hey all,

Haven't been on here in a while. I'm just coming up on 2.5 years of ownership with my 2019 C63S sedan and I wanted to start a thread for other owners to share their experiences with this car as the 205 ceases production (get your coupes while you still can). I recently just picked up a F-Type SVR as my new weekend toy and it's given me a great comparison point to the C63 as well as a newfound appreciation for it.

Pictures

Shameless IG plug: @amg.svr

I custom spec'ed the C63S in the summer of 2018 and picked it up Jan 2019. It's my daily driver and I've put just a tick over 19,000 miles on it. It's really a perfect daily for someone not needing a SUV and a fantastic all-in-one vehicle. Some of the highlights of this car for me below.

Engine: The reason why I bought this car. I'll be sad to see the V8 go in the 206. There is just a bit of turbo lag but when the boost comes on (and it comes on real low) you can swim in the torque. The C is surprisingly faster than the Jag on a roll. Probably because the C and the SVR have the same torque figure but the C is lighter. The reliability of this engine is an added plus.

Sound: The M177 is imo THE best sounding turbo V8s on the market right now. Knowing that this is the last V8 C63 and probably one of the last non-hybrid V8 AMG's makes it feel that much more special. It's not particularly very loud in comparison to the Jag (which has got to be the loudest stock exhaust on the market), but I think it's just right. There's not much more sound to be extracted from a turbo engine and AMG has done a brilliant job with this exhaust. I have the exhaust valve module forcing the valves fully open and at idle it will rattle things in the house.

Transmission: I love the MCT 9-speed. It is an entire class above the 8-speed ZF in the Jag, which I find sluggish in comparison. The 9-speed is eager and responsive to kickdown and the upshifts are violent.

Technology/Interior: Best in class interior. Still feels modern with all the latest technology without the ugly Tesla-style main central screen that Mercedes has been rolling out in their latest cars. To me it feels more premium than the new BMW G8X interior, which has a lot of hard plastics in certain places that cheapens the feel. Maybe I got a lucky car but mine has held up in the past 2.5 years without much rattles and noises. The dealership was able to apply felt to a few areas like the pano roof and the pretty much solved the issues.

I love my W205 and to be honest when I bought the Jag I considered trading it in, but in the end I just couldn't do it. Other owners please feel free to chime in with your thoughts and share some photos!
The following 3 users liked this post by Xec:
'1663s (07-16-2021), djprov431 (07-16-2021), twernicke (07-16-2021)
Old 07-15-2021 | 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
They are looking good next to each other. I can pretty much only echo what you said about the C63. I don't think they always get the credit they deserve. I think the coupe is better and more usable than the AMG GT for an everyday fun car, with enough practicality to never have to second guess if it's the right car for the day. I feel the same about the transmission. I've been a fan of DCT transmissions and initially had reservations that the C wasn't a DCT, but I've come to appreciate and love the 9-MCT. Still not a fan of the 7-MCT. It combines the best of a DCT with the best of a traditional AT. DCTs are great in manual mode and for sequential shifting, but when they have to shift out of order they end up stumbling over themselves, whereas the MCT drops 5 gears in an instant if it has to and it takes off. I've considered the F-type in the past, but 2-seater only and the ZF 8 kept me from it. I just don't get why everybody raves about the ZF 8 so much. Don't get me wrong. It's a great AT for a Range Rover and pretty much every other commuter car, but it doesn't belong in a performance car, especially not an SVR. I'm disappointed to see that BMW M is putting them in theirs now, dropping the DCT. Yes, it makes for a more comfortable drive in stop&go traffic and just mundane driving, but there are other cars for that and the MCT is fine in those situations once you learned to modulate the throttle. I want to feel connected to the drivetrain, and not isolated by fluid coupling. The interesting thing is that the ZF 8 is also offered with a startup clutch instead of a torque converter just like the MCT. I don't understand why manufacturers are opting for the torque converter instead in their performance models. AMG gets it. They specially say they are using a clutch because it makes for a more responsive and more satisfying drivetrain, while still offering the benefits of a planetary gearbox for daily driving.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-15-2021 at 06:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
'1663s (07-16-2021), Xec (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021 | 03:31 PM
Xec

Originally Posted by superswiss
They are looking good next to each other. I can pretty much only echo what you said about the C63. I don't think they always get the credit they deserve. I think the coupe is better and more usable than the AMG GT for an everyday fun car, with enough practicality to never have to second guess if it's the right car for the day. I feel the same about the transmission. I've been a fan of DCT transmissions and initially had reservations that the C wasn't a DCT, but I've come to appreciate and love the 9-MCT. Still not a fan of the 7-MCT. It combines the best of a DCT with the best of a traditional AT. DCTs are great in manual mode and for sequential shifting, but when they have to shift out of order they end up stumbling over themselves, whereas the MCT drops 5 gears in an instant if it has to and it takes off. I've considered the F-type in the past, but 2-seater only and the ZF 8 kept me from it. I just don't get why everybody raves about the ZF 8 so much. Don't get me wrong. It's a great AT for a Range Rover and pretty much every other commuter car, but it doesn't belong in a performance car, especially not an SVR. I'm disappointed to see that BMW M is putting them in theirs now, dropping the DCT. Yes, it makes for a more comfortable drive in stop&go traffic and just mundane driving, but there are other cars for that and the MCT is fine in those situations once you learned to modulate the throttle. I want to feel connected to the drivetrain, and not isolated by fluid coupling. The interesting thing is that the ZF 8 is also offered with a startup clutch instead of a torque converter just like the MCT. I don't understand why manufacturers are opting for the torque converter instead in their performance models. AMG gets it. They specially say they are using a clutch because it makes for a more responsive and more satisfying drivetrain, while still offering the benefits of a planetary gearbox for daily driving.
Wholeheartedly agree on all the points. The 9-MCT is a huge improvement over the 7-MCT.

The AMG GT just isn't an ideal single do-it-all car. You'd have to have something else that provided a bit more utility. The C on the other hand is a perfect all-in-one car. I'd pick the C63 again if I had the choice.

After driving the Jag, the only major gripe I have with the C63 is the steering feel (which is not an uncommon complaint around here). It feels pretty numb and electronic, like playing a video game. Which is a bit of a shame considering the C is actually more nimble than the Jag and puts down a 2s faster time on C&D's Lightning Lap VIR track.

Both cars now have about 1.5 years left before warranty expiration. Where to go from here?!
The following users liked this post:
superswiss (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021 | 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Xec
Wholeheartedly agree on all the points. The 9-MCT is a huge improvement over the 7-MCT.

The AMG GT just isn't an ideal single do-it-all car. You'd have to have something else that provided a bit more utility. The C on the other hand is a perfect all-in-one car. I'd pick the C63 again if I had the choice.

After driving the Jag, the only major gripe I have with the C63 is the steering feel (which is not an uncommon complaint around here). It feels pretty numb and electronic, like playing a video game. Which is a bit of a shame considering the C is actually more nimble than the Jag and puts down a 2s faster time on C&D's Lightning Lap VIR track.

Both cars now have about 1.5 years left before warranty expiration. Where to go from here?!
Can't really complain about the steering at this point with my coupe, but I did have kind of a hard time telling what's going on with the OE PSS. I find the steering response, feel and feedback much better with the PS4S and pressure at 33psi, but I've also had 2 alignments in the meantime. The toe seems to go out easily and when it does, the steering gets funky. I feel it's one of the better electric racks out there. It is a variable ratio rack, so that can feel a bit video gameish for regular driving and in the FL, there's no separate steering setting anymore and instead it's tied to AMG DYNAMICS. In Basic I find it has a good balance between isolating the road for comfort while still not being too numb, and in Master it has plenty of feel and feedback to know what the front tires are doing when I'm hauling it in the canyons. The sedan also has skinnier tires which changes the feel. There's a larger contact patch with the coupe.
Old 10-21-2021 | 03:08 AM
Xec

Hey all, sadly it is time to say goodbye to the great community here. Almost 3 years and 22K miles later, I've sold my C63S.

This was a car I had always wanted. It was the first car I spec’d new from factory and I had every intention of driving it until the wheels fell off. However, with me still WFH, I found myself always reaching for the Jag's keys on the weekends and the AMG rarely being driven. Added with the strong car market at the moment and my local Mercedes dealer looking for stock, it made sense to say farewell after I received a very strong offer on it.

My dealer has offered me a brand-new 718 Spyder at MSRP as a thanks for the deal. It's not a V8 so I have my qualms, so it remains to be seen what's next. The Jag I think is here to stay for a while!

So long friends, until next time

Old 10-21-2021 | 09:42 AM

2019 MB C63s Coupe, 2004 Audi S4, 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder, building Cobra Daytona Coupe now
Originally Posted by Xec
Hey all, sadly it is time to say goodbye to the great community here. Almost 3 years and 22K miles later, I've sold my C63S.

This was a car I had always wanted. It was the first car I spec’d new from factory and I had every intention of driving it until the wheels fell off. However, with me still WFH, I found myself always reaching for the Jag's keys on the weekends and the AMG rarely being driven. Added with the strong car market at the moment and my local Mercedes dealer looking for stock, it made sense to say farewell after I received a very strong offer on it.

My dealer has offered me a brand-new 718 Spyder at MSRP as a thanks for the deal. It's not a V8 so I have my qualms, so it remains to be seen what's next. The Jag I think is here to stay for a while!

So long friends, until next time
Best of luck - you will love it. I have had a 2011 Boxster Spyder since May '10 (ordered new) and it's been a fantastic car. Enjoy!
Old 10-21-2021 | 12:51 PM

c63 Coupe, GLC63
Talking

Some reason i read the start of the thread back in July of this year and thought you said 3 months and 22k of ownership lol
Old 10-21-2021 | 01:19 PM

c63s
I guess thread title should now be changed to C63S depreciation thread.