Sponsored by:

Problems with AWE Tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 03:29 PM

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
MY17 C63s Sedan
Unhappy Problems with AWE Tuning

I just want to document this in case anyone else is also having same issues. First let me state that I am driving a 2017 C63s Sedan with performance exhaust.

Several years ago, I bought the AWE Tuning Track exhaust. This exhaust has the valved h-pipe with actuator (didn't work but will get back to this). Recently through complains from neighbors because of the noise, I wanted to upgrade to the SwitchPath version so at least I can control the sound volume from my OEM performance exhaust button. So I ordered this directly through AWE Tuning and it took a long while to receive. But eventually I got it. So then I went to get them installed by a local shop who specializes in mercs and right off the bat, they told me the valve actuators may not work. They said they've seen similar issues with other customers who brings in AWE Tuning exhaust with these valve actuators. Those report was a long while ago, I would have thought AWE Tuning would have probably addressed this issue already and so I proceeded to have them install it.

After the install, what do you know, it doesn't work. I am not able to control the exhaust flaps with the in cabin OEM exhaust button. What's worse is the ECU doesn't seem to be able to control these actuators correctly and causing my car to have poor performance. When I floor it, it doesn't make much power. No it is not in limp mode. In addition, I just realize the h-pipe valve actuators were actually not working as well.

I proceeded to contact AWE Tuning's support (July 13th), they told me to take pictures of the actuators so they can see which product number is shown. For those who have this exhaust knows you can't get to the actuators (on top) unless you remove the exhaust. At this point I am already down on the labor cost for the first install. Now I have to go to the shop again just to remove it and take pictures. It doesn't look like I have a choice at this stage and given how expensive this exhaust is, I had to do it. It took quite a bit of back and forth and waiting, they finally said they will send out different actuators.

I received these actuators and again I have to go to the shop and pay them to have it installed. But this time I am a little bit wiser and ask them to just test the actuators to see if they work with the OEM system. It turns out it still doesn't work. We documented a video showing how the OEM actuators work vs the ones they've sent me. After paying them for their time again, I am off to send the results to AWE Tuning.

I've sent AWE Tuning support the documented video and explained what is happening on September 7th. Now it September 20th, I still did not get a reply from them. I've followed up with them a couple times already but no reply. I feel as they've just giving up at this point and decided to just ghost me and hope I just go away. I understand things can happen and this is why I've already been way more than patient with them and in constant contact with them to make this right.

So in closing I am not trying to bash AWE Tuning here as I think their products are actually pretty decent but I just want to document this so others can see one customer's experience with them. I am hopeful they will still make this right. Either resolve my issue or at least give me a refund.

Last edited by amg8; 09-21-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 307 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
Originally Posted by amg8
I just want to document this in case anyone else is also having same issues. First let me state that I am driving a 2017 C63s Sedan with performance exhaust.

Several years ago, I bought the AWE Tuning Track exhaust. This exhaust has the valved h-pipe with actuator (didn't work but will get back to this). Recently through complains from neighbors because of the noise, I wanted to upgrade to the SwitchPath version so at least I can control the sound volume from my OEM performance exhaust button. So I ordered this directly through AWE Tuning and it took a long while to receive. But eventually I got it. So then I went to get them installed by a local shop who specializes in mercs and right off the bat, they told me the valve actuators may not work. They said they've seen similar issues with other customers who brings in AWE Tuning exhaust with these valve actuators. Those report was a long while ago, I would have thought AWE Tuning would have probably addressed this issue already and so I proceeded to have them install it.

After the install, what do you know, it doesn't work. I am not able to control the exhaust flaps with the in cabin OEM exhaust button. What's worse is the ECU doesn't seem to be able to control these actuators correctly and causing my car to have poor performance. When I floor it, it doesn't make much power. No it is not in limp mode. In addition, I just realize the h-pipe valve actuators were actually not working as well.

I proceeded to contact AWE Tuning's support (July 13th), they told me to take pictures of the actuators so they can see which product number is shown. For those who have this exhaust knows you can get to the actuators (on top) unless you remove the exhaust. At this point I am already down on the labor cost for the first install. Now I have to go to the shop again just to remove it and take pictures. It doesn't look like I have a choice at this stage and given how expensive this exhaust is, I had to do it. It took quite a bit of back and forth and waiting, they finally said they will send out different actuators.

I received these actuators and again I have to go to the shop and pay them to have it installed. But this time I am a little bit wiser and ask them to just test the actuators to see if they work with the OEM system. It turns out it still doesn't work. We documented a video showing how the OEM actuators work vs the ones they've sent me. After paying them for their time again, I am off to send the results to AWE Tuning.

I've sent AWE Tuning support the documented video and explained what is happening on September 7th. Now it September 20th, I still did not get a reply from them. I've followed up with them a couple times already but no reply. I feel as they've just giving up at this point and decided to just ghost me and hope I just go away. I understand things can happen and this is why I've already been way more than patient with them and in constant contact with them to make this right.

So in closing I am not trying to bash AWE Tuning here as I think their products are actually pretty decent but I just want to document this so others can see one customer's experience with them. I am hopeful they will still make this right. Either resolve my issue or at least give me a refund.
Sorry to hear that man..
I hate to say it, but if they are not responding, then file a claim with your payment method .. (cc or what ever you used) for product being defective and Not working as described)
At that point, the ball is in AWE court.

I had dealings with them, and although the outcome was in the end solved, it took alot of agression on my end to get to that point, that was not NEEDED.

The support team doesnt seem to be in house, or available.. as everytime I called and was able to get someone on the phone, NEVER was a person that had technical knowledge of the systems available to talk.

File the chargeback, then wait for them to call you. ( I am not a chargeback type of guy, but its cases like this that warrant it )
The following users liked this post:
amg8 (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 10:18 AM

MY17 C63s Sedan
Originally Posted by FLC63s
Sorry to hear that man..
I hate to say it, but if they are not responding, then file a claim with your payment method .. (cc or what ever you used) for product being defective and Not working as described)
At that point, the ball is in AWE court.

I had dealings with them, and although the outcome was in the end solved, it took alot of agression on my end to get to that point, that was not NEEDED.

The support team doesnt seem to be in house, or available.. as everytime I called and was able to get someone on the phone, NEVER was a person that had technical knowledge of the systems available to talk.

File the chargeback, then wait for them to call you. ( I am not a chargeback type of guy, but its cases like this that warrant it )
Thanks for sharing your experience. If you don't mind, what issues did you have with the product?
Old 09-21-2021, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amg8
Thanks for sharing your experience. If you don't mind, what issues did you have with the product?
H-Pipe valve stopped working, (would make noises etc) and they didnt even warranty it, I had to purchase a NEW H Pipe section ... I told them off at that point...
(sucks too, because when the product works, it works well) support and follow up suck !!
The following users liked this post:
amg8 (09-21-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 09:45 AM

MY17 C63s Sedan
Just want to give an update. It is funny how these things work. After posting this up, AWE Tuning finally reply to me today. I will update this post on "this round" of conversation to see what they say.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:22 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 Benz C63S Coupe
I have AWE track exhaust, and my h-pipe valve was squeaky…. AWE tuning was great and sent me a new h-pipe. No issues the past 3 years….
Old 09-24-2021, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 1 SIC DR
I have AWE track exhaust, and my h-pipe valve was squeaky…. AWE tuning was great and sent me a new h-pipe. No issues the past 3 years….
this points to the quality and control points? the exact fact you had an H Pipe valve issue at alll!! your lucky , they replaced yours .

i had to buy a new one for my switchpath system, and i simple search brings up many others with the same.

the fact that they know this is a huge issue and have done nothing to correct it , is insane.

ohh and god forbid you buy a car with awe exhaust 2nd hand, good luck in getting any support. They claim they don't transfer warranty or ownership to a new owner. ( for exhaust ?? !!! give me a break)
Old 10-03-2021, 02:06 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C63S AMG
Originally Posted by FLC63s
H-Pipe valve stopped working, (would make noises etc) and they didnt even warranty it, I had to purchase a NEW H Pipe section ... I told them off at that point...
(sucks too, because when the product works, it works well) support and follow up suck !!
This valve assembly going bad is an issue plaguing C63’s and E63’s. The bs fix is high temp paste applied at the dealer. There is a PTSS number out there for this issue. Next step is replacing rear section of exhaust. Since you have aftermarket, I’d consider welding in a flat disc in the H pipe.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wexlax732
This valve assembly going bad is an issue plaguing C63’s and E63’s. The bs fix is high temp paste applied at the dealer. There is a PTSS number out there for this issue. Next step is replacing rear section of exhaust. Since you have aftermarket, I’d consider welding in a flat disc in the H pipe.
what r u talking about ??
this has to do with AWE’s exhaust…