Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passing State Inspection with Catless Downpipes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2021 | 11:30 AM

17 C63S Coupe PTG1000
Passing State Inspection with Catless Downpipes

This is obviously a topic that has been discussed here and across many other forums. I've done some searching on this forum and others, but information is fairly nebulous and inconclusive.

I ran into an issue today in North Carolina where my 2017 C63S Coupe received a "not ready rejection" for the emissions portion of the NC State Inspection. The car has catless downpipes as well as PTG1000 turbos and an associated tune from Kirkland Hans.

Specifically, my emissions report has the "Catalyst" and "Evaporative System" monitors set to "not completed". Misfire, fuel system, O2 sensor, O2 sensor heater, EGR System (and others) were all "Completed".

No Check Engine Light (CEL) has been on. I just drove the car 830 miles home on Friday. The inspection was today (Monday), so 3 days after a long drive.

I've had multiple e9x M3's with catless systems that have passed emissions for 7+ years, at the same inspection stations. NC does not have sniffers, it's based on emissions readiness codes/state via OBDII

Questions:
  1. Has anyone been able to "ready" the Catalyst and Evaporative System with catless downpipes and a tune? Looking for option here.
  2. Are there OBDII scanner/readers that can monitor and reset these monitors available? If so, which one is recommended?
Thanks!
Old 09-27-2021 | 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
Originally Posted by noremaC
This is obviously a topic that has been discussed here and across many other forums. I've done some searching on this forum and others, but information is fairly nebulous and inconclusive.

I ran into an issue today in North Carolina where my 2017 C63S Coupe received a "not ready rejection" for the emissions portion of the NC State Inspection. The car has catless downpipes as well as PTG1000 turbos and an associated tune from Kirkland Hans.

Specifically, my emissions report has the "Catalyst" and "Evaporative System" monitors set to "not completed". Misfire, fuel system, O2 sensor, O2 sensor heater, EGR System (and others) were all "Completed".

No Check Engine Light (CEL) has been on. I just drove the car 830 miles home on Friday. The inspection was today (Monday), so 3 days after a long drive.

I've had multiple e9x M3's with catless systems that have passed emissions for 7+ years, at the same inspection stations. NC does not have sniffers, it's based on emissions readiness codes/state via OBDII

Questions:
  1. Has anyone been able to "ready" the Catalyst and Evaporative System with catless downpipes and a tune? Looking for option here.
  2. Are there OBDII scanner/readers that can monitor and reset these monitors available? If so, which one is recommended?
Thanks!
Hey,
So this is for ALL, and I am sure others will chime in..

Most if NOT ALL tunes code out CEL's for DP's etc , so the fact that you DO NOT have a CEL, means almost nothing.
its almost 100% if your catless and or DP's you will not PASS state regulated emissions. ( its possible but you will be doing alot of side crap to make it work)
prob better to find a place you can pass a c note too, and have them use a different car .

Rule of thumb... once you mess with cats, you will have issues with emissions test. period. (now, yes, of course depending on what you have done, blah blah, there are spacers, this and that) but we are not talking about that. Catless DP's , regardless of tune, will get you rejected .. period.
(chase the rabbit and put spacers, and re-code to account for it, etc) and you might swing by the test.

Most states that require emissions are getting stricter and stricter as mandates are coming down from above.
The following users liked this post:
shootermcgav1n (09-27-2021)
Old 09-27-2021 | 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
You can't use a different car. They pull your vin on your sticker through the obd port. I haven't seen an inspector put a vin in manually in 20 years lol.

You might get it to pass on stock tune if you time it right before it fails the rear 02s. I think you can have 1 not ready and pass. And maybe mess with some spacers on the o2s

Last edited by skratch77; 09-27-2021 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-27-2021 | 12:26 PM

17 C63S Coupe PTG1000
Originally Posted by FLC63s
Hey,
So this is for ALL, and I am sure others will chime in..

Most if NOT ALL tunes code out CEL's for DP's etc , so the fact that you DO NOT have a CEL, means almost nothing.
its almost 100% if your catless and or DP's you will not PASS state regulated emissions. ( its possible but you will be doing alot of side crap to make it work)
prob better to find a place you can pass a c note too, and have them use a different car .

Rule of thumb... once you mess with cats, you will have issues with emissions test. period. (now, yes, of course depending on what you have done, blah blah, there are spacers, this and that) but we are not talking about that. Catless DP's , regardless of tune, will get you rejected .. period.
(chase the rabbit and put spacers, and re-code to account for it, etc) and you might swing by the test.

Most states that require emissions are getting stricter and stricter as mandates are coming down from above.
Originally Posted by skratch77
You can't use a different car. They pull your vin on your sticker through the obd port. I haven't seen an inspector put a vin in manually in 20 years lol.

You might get it to pass on stock tune if you time it right before it fails the rear 02s. I think you can have 1 not ready and pass. And maybe mess with some spacers on the o2s
Thanks guys.

The thing that wigs me out is, I've passed without issue on my previous e9x M3's with catless setups. Never had an issue - as recent as this past January. So why is the C63 different? There may be an obvious reason, but I am missing it.
Old 09-27-2021 | 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have had places just scan a different car... lol... shady AF, but worked..

Old 09-27-2021 | 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Thanks guys.

The thing that wigs me out is, I've passed without issue on my previous e9x M3's with catless setups. Never had an issue - as recent as this past January. So why is the C63 different? There may be an obvious reason, but I am missing it.
You have 2 not ready the evap and rear o2s
Old 09-27-2021 | 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by FLC63s
I have had places just scan a different car... lol... shady AF, but worked..
Good state to live in. In ma since like 2004 they pull vin from car and now they even take pictures of the car.
Old 09-27-2021 | 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good state to live in. In ma since like 2004 they pull vin from car and now they even take pictures of the car.
Hope crap... well I keep most of my cars still registered in Texas, and then do OUT OF STATE renewels.. no inspection on cars in 4 years + you just have to check box, that car is out of state.. thats all
Old 09-27-2021 | 01:41 PM

C63S
Thanks guys.

sounds like what i just went through. amg cars (at least this gen if not others) are the first in my experience whereby you can't be 100% emission ready regardless of the tune. i was fortunate enough to be able to register in a diff county, goodluck to you, your best option may be to try out some minicats/o2 bypass devices.
Old 09-27-2021 | 02:23 PM

17 C63S Coupe PTG1000
I read the evap monitor can remain “not completed” and pass but the catalyst is mandatory. Below is a note I found for Catalyst via a Smog article.

I wonder if I can perform this, even with a tune and catless DPs and get this monitor into a ready state. Any idea if there is a scan tool that can monitor this?

Catalyst Monitor - Catalytic Converter Efficiency Diagnostics (do not interrupt this portion of the test and must be conducted directly after step 2 above has been performed). With engine temp greater than 80°C:

- Drive vehicle with transmission still in position D for 3 minutes at 47-55 mph.

NOTE: If using a Hand-Held Scan Tool verify Step 3 test completion. This will be indicated by a check mark in the display field or the word PASS or COMPLETE.

Old 09-27-2021 | 06:53 PM

17 C63S Coupe PTG1000
You have 2 not ready the evap and rear o2s
Yup. Is it a fair assumption that no matter what drive cycles I perform (i.e. for the oxygen sensor and catalyst), with catless DPs and a tune, I will NOT be able to get those monitors into a "ready" state.

Here is an article I read that walks through the driving cycles for each of the monitors (although not sure if W204 or W205):

https://m.smogtips.com/smog-question...-C63-AMG-Ready
Old 09-27-2021 | 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Yup. Is it a fair assumption that no matter what drive cycles I perform (i.e. for the oxygen sensor and catalyst), with catless DPs and a tune, I will NOT be able to get those monitors into a "ready" state.

Here is an article I read that walks through the driving cycles for each of the monitors (although not sure if W204 or W205):

https://m.smogtips.com/smog-question...-C63-AMG-Ready
I also have evap that won't ready on his tune. but I passed because everything else is set.
Old 09-27-2021 | 07:27 PM

17 C63S Coupe PTG1000
I also have evap that won't ready on his tune. but I passed because everything else is set.
Interesting. Did you tune on Verstand? Or dimsport? It seems like I'll have to "upgrade" and purchase the Verstand cable. My car is currently on dimsport. I do have PTG1000's but don't believe that makes a difference here.

I did hear that evap not ready is fine and you can pass OBDII emissions, but catalyst is a steadfast requirement.
Old 09-27-2021 | 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Interesting. Did you tune on Verstand? Or dimsport? It seems like I'll have to "upgrade" and purchase the Verstand cable. My car is currently on dimsport. I do have PTG1000's but don't believe that makes a difference here.

I did hear that evap not ready is fine and you can pass OBDII emissions, but catalyst is a steadfast requirement.
Verstand

Side note how is the car on bigger turbos? That is where I'm heading with mine.
Old 09-27-2021 | 11:10 PM

17 C63S Coupe PTG1000
Verstand

Side note how is the car on bigger turbos? That is where I'm heading with mine.
Are you catless?

PM’d on turbos
Old 09-28-2021 | 10:59 AM

03 W211 E55 13 G63
If able you will need to turn off catalyst and evaporative monitoring in the tune. It will then show up as "not supported" when plugged in, people have done this for years with mustangs, etc. You could still be failed by the inspector if they read the book to see what is supposed to be supported obviously "catalyst" on almost any OBD car would be present. So you still need a semi friendly place that doesn't care as long as Raleigh lets it go through. Other options register it in a non emission county (safety only), or another state that does not inspect like most of SC i think. I hear Montana also works well. Setup an LLC and the car is the only asset. Property taxes are cheaper too as a bonus!
Old 09-28-2021 | 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 AMG GTC Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
Years ago, I owned a 2009 Ford GT500 w/6 speed manual. I rebuilt the entire suspension, installed all high-end parts and pieces, upgraded rotors, lines and pads, installed a huge JLT CF intake, pulleys, Kooks headers and catless H-pipe and then tuned. Numbers? 650HP and equal TQ. Did some subtle badging. It came with stripe delete. The rear spoiler was from a KR model. It could never pass inspection in this state. The answer? Give $100 to my kid and the keys. He'd always come back with a sticker and an empty gas tank.
The following users liked this post:
Wexlax732 (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021 | 03:06 PM

2017 C63S AMG
Find a spot that will work with you. For me, it’s always been a game of going to multiple places until I find one willing to do what I need them to.