Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet brake pads?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2021 | 12:11 PM

2017 C63S Coupe
Quiet brake pads?

Hello, i searched the forum and seems that the consensus is everyone looking for brake pads that produce less dust.

My dilemma is a bit different.. I absolutely hate the shrieking stock brakes and how mercedes says its normal for performance brakes. Ive been in other performance cars and their brakes definitely werent that noisy.

That being said, does anyone have any recommendations for the C63 S coupe with red calipers? Im even willing to lose some stopping power but i just want silent braking all the time

PS. the issue isnt that my pads are worn out since the brakes have been noisy since day one and remained so even after i had my pads and rotors changed at around 40k km. currently at 67k km.

Last edited by untamedd; 10-13-2021 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2021 | 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
My stock pads are completely quiet. They only get noisy once they are close to their wear limits. But as all performance brakes, they need to be bedded in properly to produce a layer of pad material on the rotors, and then regularly get heat into them to maintain that layer. Otherwise you'll have noise and other issues. Happens to other performance brakes as well. Porsche produced a customer information video a couple of years ago in response to complaints from their customers about noisy brakes. The reality is that the brakes are designed to handle hard braking, but few actually drive the car in an appropriate manner, so the brakes are mostly cold and the pads operate in abrasive mode scrubbing against the bare rotor and making noise.

Old 10-13-2021 | 12:32 PM

2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by superswiss
My stock pads are completely quiet. They only get noisy once they are close to their wear limits. But as all performance brakes, they need to be bedded in properly to produce a layer of pad material on the rotors, and then regularly get heat into them to maintain that layer. Otherwise you'll have noise and other issues. Happens to other performance brakes as well. Porsche produced a customer information video a couple of years ago in response to complaints from their customers about noisy brakes. The reality is that the brakes are designed to handle hard braking, but few actually drive the car in an appropriate manner, so the brakes are mostly cold and the pads operate in abrasive mode scrubbing against the bare rotor and making noise.

https://youtu.be/pdPX6rzuINc
thanks for the info. so are you saying your brakes have never been noisy? For me it doesnt happen all the time, but its sporadic and mostly always when the car is fully warmed up etc.

also, i agree that ive probably barely used the brakes as they were intended to and most of my braking is just light touches on the city streets so is that whats contributing towards this noise? I did notice that on drives the brakes are noisy,, gently braking will be noise but if i brake hard then they might make that initial noise when my foot touches the brake but it wont be a constant shriek like it is during slow braking.

Cant say whether the shop i went to did a proper bed in procedure or not, but if they did, would that mean that the brakes would not produce any noise?

Last edited by untamedd; 10-13-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2021 | 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by untamedd
thanks for the info. so are you saying your brakes have never been noisy? For me it doesnt happen all the time, but its sporadic and mostly always when the car is fully warmed up etc.

also, i agree that ive probably barely used the brakes as they were intended to and most of my braking is just light touches on the city streets so is that whats contributing towards this noise? I did notice that on drives the brakes are noisy,, gently braking will be noise but if i brake hard then they might make that initial noise when my foot touches the brake but it wont be a constant shriek like it is during slow braking.

Cant say whether the shop i went to did a proper bed in procedure or not, but if they did, would that mean that the brakes would not produce any noise?
My brakes can be noisy after a hard drive in the canyons when they are really hot (expected), and as said, they got noisy shortly before the wear sensor tripped. Seemed to be the rears, because my fronts were worn first, but the noise remained until I got the rears replaced and I went to the canyons for a proper bedding. Now they are quiet again during normal driving. Yes, if you just lightly brake constantly and they weren't bedded in properly then you'll likely have noise. You also may have debris and dirt under them that never clears out due to the light braking. In addition you can glaze the pads that way and then they get even noisier. This is the problem. If you drive the car like a commuter car in the city a lot, you won't do your brakes any favor. A good shop will do an initial bedding, but that won't be enough. You'll have to take it on an open country road. Most shops don't have roads nearby or a track where they can do a proper bedding. Alternatively, you can have a performance shop do a controlled bedding on a dyno.
Old 10-18-2021 | 10:58 AM

2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by superswiss
My brakes can be noisy after a hard drive in the canyons when they are really hot (expected), and as said, they got noisy shortly before the wear sensor tripped. Seemed to be the rears, because my fronts were worn first, but the noise remained until I got the rears replaced and I went to the canyons for a proper bedding. Now they are quiet again during normal driving. Yes, if you just lightly brake constantly and they weren't bedded in properly then you'll likely have noise. You also may have debris and dirt under them that never clears out due to the light braking. In addition you can glaze the pads that way and then they get even noisier. This is the problem. If you drive the car like a commuter car in the city a lot, you won't do your brakes any favor. A good shop will do an initial bedding, but that won't be enough. You'll have to take it on an open country road. Most shops don't have roads nearby or a track where they can do a proper bedding. Alternatively, you can have a performance shop do a controlled bedding on a dyno.

i guess you were right after all because today i got a message on my dash telling me to check for brake pad wear.

Given the message, I will change all 4 brake pads so everything is nice and even. During my last brake pad change the dealer told me id have to change my rotors too and not knowing at that time i agreed. Later when i took the parts to my indy shop, the mechanic said rotors were fine and couldve been used for one more set so this time i will only change pads and hope for the best
Old 10-19-2021 | 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 AMG GTC Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
EBC Red Stuff!