New Powertrain Control Unit (PTCU) Software - 21P5498710

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
New Powertrain Control Unit (PTCU) Software - 21P5498710

Hi All,

I have a 2017 C63s Coupe and just had a service. I was informed that MB had a campaign to update the powertrain control unit. My statement of work showed the code 21P5498710 version 2.0. I did ask what it was for, but the SA couldn't elaborate. Upon searching online I found this - https://www.startekinfo.com/service/...utside/226337/.

For those who can't view the PDF, here's the issue that it states:

Mercedes-Benz AG (“MBAG”), the manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz, has determined
that on certain MY 2015-2018 C-Class and GLC-Class (205 and 253 platform) vehicles,
the software for the powertrain control unit may not correspond to the current
production specifications. It is possible that the next maintenance interval is displayed
to the user as a negative distance reading in the instrument cluster.

On my short drive home, I didn't really feel a difference. Can anyone shine anymore light on this?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-13-2022, 11:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 AMG, Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Hi,
I came across this post as I just came back from a B service where this update was also performed.
I own a 2017 C63s AMG coupe.

I am absolutely FURIOUS at the difference in sound with the car now - AT LEAST 50% quieter in S+ modes, no up shift or downshift pops, dull shifts, just turbo whining can be heard etc. its simply not even close to what it was going in. the entire driving experience has been ruined for me after years of owning the car I’ve loved so much. Cannot express how angry I am.

I called my dealership back and they asked me to go back in for “some tests” and to make sure the update was applied correctly etc. seemed to sincerely understand my frustration and eluded to addressing it but I’m very worried about what they can actually do now considering I’ve been pouring through threads here and seems like once these updates are done there is no rolling back.

Asking anyone for any insight, advice or perspective. What are my options? I don’t need or care for more performance (ie. tune), just want the growling beast of a car back

many thanks everyone

Old 08-13-2022, 12:01 PM

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
C63s
I'm in the same boat. I say boat because it used to be a 2017 C63S coupe but it's now a boat. Quiet like a row boat on a windless lake.

I'm wondering if an aftermarket tune would get the car back to its usual self.

Renntech sells a hand held tuner that switches between modded and stock programs once you send them your VIN.

The question is, is the stock program read and saved from your ECU and onto the module once you plug it in, or does @RENNtechHQ already have an original version of the program that comes preloaded with your original software pre-update?

That could kill two birds with one stone. You could get an aftermarket program and the ability to switch back to your original program before MB stealerships started their unsolicited meddling. Now they steal more than just your money.... They steal your joy.

Last edited by mars c63s; 08-13-2022 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:41 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2007 E350
There’s a few valves in our exhaust. Even in sport + or race, the valve is not open all the way. With the update from mercedes, the exhaust valve are less open. Renntech module or anything other brand will fix this problem as it will open 100% of the valves. As for pop on downshift and upshift. A custome tune plus a pair of catted or catless dp will 100% solve that. Easy fix but pricey. 100% worth it imo as it really takes the chain off the car & how our c63s should have really been off the factory
Old 08-13-2022, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by koifysh
There’s a few valves in our exhaust. Even in sport + or race, the valve is not open all the way. With the update from mercedes, the exhaust valve are less open. Renntech module or anything other brand will fix this problem as it will open 100% of the valves. As for pop on downshift and upshift. A custome tune plus a pair of catted or catless dp will 100% solve that. Easy fix but pricey. 100% worth it imo as it really takes the chain off the car & how our c63s should have really been off the factory
This. Get the Renntech or the ASR module. I've got it on my E63 and I love it.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 AMG, Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Thanks for the responses - this community is always so helpful and kind.

Would anyone be able to point me to where to buy an ASR module (or if renntech is more recommended)? I’ve found a couple of threads on it and seems like something I could install myself..

much appreciated.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:33 PM

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by koifysh
I do have the exhaust valve module already... And although its an improvement it seems the Mercedes update seems to have quieted that down as well. The pops and bangs are gone. And unfortunately I guess only a tune or a software reversion of some kind will solve that.
I'll try the secondary cat delete next and work from there.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:55 PM

Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts
2018 C63s
*****Maybe not so practical for most people, but owning something like a flash tuner (there are many to choose from), one can simply download their current "tune" on their car, modified or not, save it to a file on their PC or wherever, and once the dealership installs their "update", download *that* into a separate file, and re-update your original. Problem solved. If you go back to the dealership for service or whatever, upload the "update" file you downloaded before... or do whatever you like. You have your original tune, the updated tune or anything else and can change them out as needed. My car has been Dyno tuned several times as I replace parts and I have several file versions of my tunes in case the dealership decides to upload whatever they are trying to do by re-flashing your setup, that you may already be really happy with or have paid good money for.

It's really less complicated than it sounds. Flashing takes a few minutes to upload or download depending upon what model device you use, and the files downloaded can be reviewed or modified or left alone depending upon your goals.

Anyway, just another option for those that are frustrated by this. I've heard the before and after exhaust tones from cars that have had the dealership thing done and it IS very noticeable as some have pointed out. Re-flash it back and life is good.

Bah, life is good regardless, but it's even MORE good if you have control over relatively simple stuff like this. Once you've done it once or twice, flashing and re-flashing becomes easy to do. It's not a steep learning curve at all even if you aren't a "car guy", "car gal" or whatever.

The following users liked this post:
'1663s (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 10:57 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
C63s
Hmm interesting point max. Honestly seems like a good idea. I've been wondering if my car received this update before I bought it in late 2020, although the dealer only has this car back from lease for a week before I picked it up. I do have pops in s+ so I'm left believing I never had this update.

Anyway I have a mygenius handheld I got from OE when I had my c450, this was bought with an accompanying tune. Are these handhelds typically VIN locked? Or would one be able to plug into another car and download files to save from multiple vehicles?
Old 08-15-2022, 01:40 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by '1663s
Are these handhelds typically VIN locked?
I am pretty sure they are "married" to your VIN of the car they were originally purchased for. I have seen some companies that will allow you to purchase additional VIN usage. My motorcycle tuner was like that.

from their website:
My Genius is the natural evolution of New Genius, tied to a single, specific vehicle: a device for vehicle’s owners allowing independent serial reading & programming operations.

Last edited by I_love_ICE; 08-15-2022 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:10 PM

Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts
2018 C63s
Originally Posted by I_love_ICE
I am pretty sure they are "married" to your VIN of the car they were originally purchased for. I have seen some companies that will allow you to purchase additional VIN usage. My motorcycle tuner was like that.

from their website:
My Genius is the natural evolution of New Genius, tied to a single, specific vehicle: a device for vehicle’s owners allowing independent serial reading & programming operations.
*****Yea. Mine is married to my VIN. You can buy them now reasonably cheap, but there are other brands that allow the purchase of additional VIN's, etc.. I've never done it, but my tuner uses some kind of kit and buys credits to tune whatever he is tuning - the kit he uses is NOT cheap, but allows tremendous flexibility when coupled with a proper dyno tuning session. Downloading the current setup you have is simple enough - and for mine I have various tunes saved on my PC and can download them on to my tuner box and then upload that data to the car.

Works well.