Sponsored by:

How do you switch off the proximity alerts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 09:56 AM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
C63s
How do you switch off the proximity alerts

Is there a way to switch off the proximity alerts like when you get too close to a car, the red triangle in the dash and the beeps? I'm asking for the race track, cause it gets distracting when I need to get close to other cars.
Old 05-15-2022, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,695 Likes on 2,464 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yes, in the assistance settings turn off active brake assist. You have to turn it off each time you start the engine as it automatically reactivates. In the FL it also turns off automatically if you fully turn off ESP. Once it's off you should see a symbol with two cars, exclamation point and the word off as shown below.

Old 05-16-2022, 07:40 PM

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
2010 BMW E63 M6 Coupe 2023 AMG C63s Coupe 2005 YZF-R1
Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, in the assistance settings turn off active brake assist. You have to turn it off each time you start the engine as it automatically reactivates. In the FL it also turns off automatically if you fully turn off ESP. Once it's off you should see a symbol with two cars, exclamation point and the word off as shown below.

Do you drive with ESP off? Also, does ESP stay off or does it reset every time the car is restarted? I always drive with active break assist off so I was hoping for a way to permanently keep it off.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by RavenM6
Do you drive with ESP off? Also, does ESP stay off or does it reset every time the car is restarted? I always drive with active break assist off so I was hoping for a way to permanently keep it off.
No, I don't drive with ESP off and I don't turn off active brake assist. Yes ESP reactivates every time you start the engine. I'm humble enough to admit I'm human and I don't turn off these systems on public roads. It only takes one dumbass in front of you to suddenly step on the brakes for no reason when you are not quite paying a 100% attention and boom! Turning off ESP etc. is for the track. I do put ESP in Sport mode if I want more freedom and then the nannies pretty much stay out of my way, or support me, like the 9-stage TC allowing just the right amount of wheel slip. If the active brake assist engages in normal driving you are not keeping adequate distance.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-16-2022 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:22 PM

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
2010 BMW E63 M6 Coupe 2023 AMG C63s Coupe 2005 YZF-R1
Originally Posted by superswiss
No, I don't drive with ESP off and I don't turn off active brake assist. Yes ESP reactivates every time you start the engine. I'm humble enough to admit I'm human and I don't turn off these systems on public roads. It only takes one dumbass in front of you to suddenly step on the brakes for no reason when you are not quite paying a 100% attention and boom! Turning off ESP etc. is for the track. I do put ESP in Sport mode if I want more freedom and then the nannies pretty much stay out of my way, or support me, like the 9-stage TC allowing just the right amount of wheel slip. If the active brake assist engages in normal driving you are not keeping adequate distance.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I’ve never owned a car with brake assist so my thinking is if I’ve never needed it in 30+ years of driving, I don’t need it on the C63. But I get what you’re saying. I may give it a try and see if I can get used to driving with it on because you’re right, there are a lot of dumbasses on the roads who have no business driving the way the do.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by RavenM6
Thanks for the detailed reply. I’ve never owned a car with brake assist so my thinking is if I’ve never needed it in 30+ years of driving, I don’t need it on the C63. But I get what you’re saying. I may give it a try and see if I can get used to driving with it on because you’re right, there are a lot of dumbasses on the roads who have no business driving the way the do.
Well, it's kinda like insurance. It only takes one tragedy. This is my second car with brake assist and yes I survived for over 20 years w/o it. I did rear end somebody once, though right after I got my drivers license and was still green behind the ears. That car not having ABS and the roads being wet did it, which is just another example of how brakes have improved over the years. Also, human reaction time doesn't improve as we age. Just like you are more likely to get ill as you age and need medical insurance.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-17-2022 at 07:36 PM.