2017 C63S Coupe - Best Stage 1 Tune? - WTB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 AMG C 63S
2017 C63S Coupe - Best Stage 1 Tune? - WTB

Hi All -

I own a 2017 AMG C63S Coupe - Looking for feedback on Stage 1 Tunes.
My research so far: Renntech or Eurocharged are the two main players for a stage 1 tune

I'd like to know the group's feedback on reliability and if this is a safe option to go with.

Secondly, if anyone has one for sale (not sure if that's a thing you can do, i.e. resale the tunes), i'd love to buy.

Best
NJ
Old 05-24-2022, 09:57 AM

Received 133 Likes on 93 Posts
2018 C63s
******There's a lot of opinions on this matter if you do a search. Generally speaking, a tune is set up for a particular car and cannot be transferred or shared, etc.. There may be exceptions to this, but as far as Renntech or several other of the bigger players in the tuning world - the tune is "locked" to the VIN of the car. If you live near a high performance shop that can do a proper Dyno tune - that is probably the best option if you wish to get as much performance out of your car, safely. The assumption is that the person doing the Dyno tune is experienced and that your car is in decent enough shape to handle the extra power that comes from "tuning". You can do a search on Eurocharged, as well as other tuners in the business - both good and bad will be revealed and hopefully your due diligence will be rewarded with something that works for you, should you decide to get a tune.

Good luck.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:17 AM

2017 AMG C 63S
Thank you for the feedback here.

I'm strongly considering the Eurotech stage 1 tune. I am a little concerned about reliability however. Haven't seen many reviews. Hoping others can chime in.

Best,
Nate
Old 05-24-2022, 02:37 PM

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts
17 C63S Coupe PTG1000
My experience has been nothing but positive with Premier Tuning Group (PTG). Not only do you get your tune but full data logging abilities with their tuning suite. Lots of these handheld units are limited with what can be done from both a tuning and data logging perspective. You would need to buy a data logger (ie HPTuners) on top of the tune. With PTG you get your tune (ECU, CPC and/or TCU) done via laptop and OBD2 cable - using the same software for all of the features. My 0.02
Old 05-24-2022, 02:52 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
C63s AMG
I also pulled the trigger on Premier Tuning Group (PTG). Getting my cable this week, then will report on how my car feels. Happy with their support so far.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:02 PM

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
C63s Sedan
Only thing with tuners across the country, if there's a problem, you have to message them back and forth with proper data logging and hope they can send a new file.

Your best bet would be to find a local tuner as someone said above, to get hands-on with the tuning./dyno.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:21 PM

Received 133 Likes on 93 Posts
2018 C63s
Originally Posted by miamiboy
Only thing with tuners across the country, if there's a problem, you have to message them back and forth with proper data logging and hope they can send a new file.

Your best bet would be to find a local tuner as someone said above, to get hands-on with the tuning./dyno.
*****THIS. A local tuner who gets hands on work with the car on a dyno can really dial in your cars individuality and make sure you are getting everything possible out of the car with the given mods you have. I've purchased a couple of tunes for several platforms from well established "tuners" and after verifying the tune was uploaded properly, had the car dyno tested only to find out the tune provided significantly less performance than what was advertised - sometimes less than stock (really!!! After spending more than $1000, LESS than stock, butt dyno lies, real dyno does not) - which kinda pissed me off (a LOT).

Many tunes are essentially educated guesswork as there are differences in cars, even of the same model/year, etc.. due to condition/mileage/maintenance, etc.. Sort of like buying a generic off the shelf suit with limited sizing versus going with a custom tailored suit. The custom suit will just look better in real life.

There are definitely better tuners out there for sure, but IME nothing beats dyno time with someone who is meticulous and does proper AF and EGT reads, and adjusts fuel trims/boost, as well as insures there are no CEL's AND that cold start up is ok versus hard starting or rough idling until the car reaches operating temps, etc.. Sometimes takes a couple of days of tuning to get everything really dialed in. Not cheap, but if you're already paying a lot for a tune, a decent dyno session to verify everything done can really be very helpful in my experience - especially on turbo cars or cars that have been modified with bigger turbos, intercoolers, intakes, exhausts, etc.. I'll just close by saying that many of the tunes I have seen over the years are *very* optimistic about performance gains, and the reality is that the gains are contingent upon having other modifications on a car, which is probably a shop car used for testing, but the mods on the car aren't always listed when the dyno numbers are used for advertisement so it gives folks a false sense that just getting some "tune" or an air filter kit, or exhaust, new spark plugs, air freshener, tire valve caps, or whatever will provide X amount of HP or Torque, etc..

There's marketing and there is reality. It is not often where both of those really match up, at least when it comes to performance tuning or speed parts, etc..This is not just with the C63s platform but pretty much industry wide in my experience. Hype sells. Most people/consumers never verify anything themselves other than the butt dyno. It is rare for an owner to take their car to the track to test, or to a dyno, or even use something like Dragy, etc.. Again, marketing versus reality are two different things. Good luck whatever you decide on doing.

The following 4 users liked this post by MaxVO2:
domjansson (05-24-2022), miamiboy (05-24-2022), rmarchigiani (05-25-2022), SJGetsome (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 08:43 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
C63s Coupe
I have Renntech and haven't looked back. Love it.

Plug and play. Super simple. Easy to switch back and forth for whatever reason. They always answer the phone when I called about basic stuff...ie - maintenance schedules now that I'm stage 1, intake questions.

No issues thus far. May not be as aggressive or "fast" as others (I'm really not sure about that haven't tested it or anything)......but I'm ok with it even if that is the case. I was looking for something reliable not crazy aggressive, living on the edge.

As described above by MaxVO2...I hope I'm not being taken for an expensive trip.....it is costly. But I have not dyno'd to get real proof. The car has always felt fast and rowdy.

Last edited by rmarchigiani; 05-25-2022 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:33 AM
sno

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
In my GTS I went with Eurocharge they have a shop in Otown, they did a great job. I would use them again...
The following users liked this post:
loungn14 (05-28-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 01:46 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by sno
In my GTS I went with Eurocharge they have a shop in Otown, they did a great job. I would use them again...
That is one of the factors I used when deciding. I didn't have any shop locally that has any experience with AMG. Tuning would have been via email/virtual. I didn't want that headache personally and I wasn't going to drive 4-5 hours to get tuned.....in case I did have an issues, I don't have the time to make that trip over and over again.

Therefore, I went plug and play...Renntech was at the very top of my list.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:42 PM

2017 AMG C 63S
Really godo point there. So Renntech has been well for you? How is the reliability?

Does it have a warranty at all?

I am using a 3rd party warranty provider (Zurich) and am concerned that they will be able to tell should anything malfunction with the drive train. TY for insight
Old 05-27-2022, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 421 Likes on 304 Posts
AMG C63s
I used Velos. Great team to work with and never had a problem with it. But to your comment about warranty - if you are concerned about voiding warranty, "no tune" is the best solution for you. None of the tunes warrant the car and if sh...hits the fan they will be able to tell.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:05 PM

2017 AMG C 63S
Thanks for insight.

I heard you can always flash back to normal with the hand held tuner. Even in that instance, will that still be detectable?

Eurocharged stage 1 for example

Nate
Old 05-28-2022, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 421 Likes on 304 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by 17AMGC63S
Thanks for insight.

I heard you can always flash back to normal with the hand held tuner. Even in that instance, will that still be detectable?

Eurocharged stage 1 for example

Nate
yes, if MB really wants to dig in they will detect it. The standard service guy at your shop will not.