Sponsored by:

‘21 C63s Transmission Malfunction - Car Wouldn’t Move

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 10:06 PM

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
2010 BMW E63 M6 Coupe 2023 AMG C63s Coupe 2005 YZF-R1
‘21 C63s Transmission Malfunction - Car Wouldn’t Move

Last night as I put my ‘21 C63s coupe in reverse to maneuver it into my driveway, the car suddenly dies with a Transmission Malfunction error on the screen, The engine was still running but I couldn’t get it to shift back into first or neutral. I was stuck in the middle of my street. Upon restart, everything is back to normal, it shifted normally and ran perfectly since.

I have just under 4K miles on the clock, and don’t drive it extraordinarily hard or track it. Has anyone has this happen? Does it need to get looked at?

Old 10-03-2022, 10:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,833 Likes on 3,020 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Sorry to hear about. If it was mine I would take it to the dealer. Shocking for a vehicle at this price point.
Old 10-04-2022, 03:58 AM

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts
16' C63s, 22' RAM 1500
Was a door slightly open by any chance?

drive or reverse if there’s a door slightly open it’ll trigger the car to stop abruptly. Had this happen to me twice before I found out why it was locking up.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Iridium.C63s
Was a door slightly open by any chance?

drive or reverse if there’s a door slightly open it’ll trigger the car to stop abruptly. Had this happen to me twice before I found out why it was locking up.
No the doors were both closed and locked.

Chassis, thanks. I know, this is not something I'd expect to happen to a like-new $100k AMG, but sh*t happens. It could've been worse if it randomly happened on a busy road or intersection while the car was in drive. I think I'll take it in just to make sure there isn't an underlying issue with the transmission.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (10-04-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 02:49 PM

So was able to get an appointment yesterday to get this looked at. They were even able to get me into a loaner on such short notice, a GLB 250 SUV.

As I was inside a retail establishment running an errand, this happened to the loaner . The f*kn crooks must've followed me from my previous stop (Chase bank) into the parking lot thinking they'd score a big payday. Thankfully, I left nothing of value other than my business cellphone (an older iPhone 12) which was in the driver door storage area along with my Powerbeats. They either didn't care for the phone or didn't see them. Out of frustration, they threw one of the Powerbeats onto the glass-littered parking lot pavement and left the other one in the car.

MB of West Houston was super accommodating. They hooked me up with another loaner within the hour, this time with a nicer GLC 300.

Old 10-06-2022, 04:03 PM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
C63s
Ouch! How everything happens for a reason! Your C63s got itself into the shop to save itself from this trip!
Glad it wasn't your car!
Solo wing (12-13-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 04:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,869 Posts
PFL205.064
Originally Posted by RavenM6
So was able to get an appointment yesterday to get this looked at. They were even able to get me into a loaner on such short notice, a GLB 250 SUV.

As I was inside a retail establishment running an errand, this happened to the loaner . The f*kn crooks must've followed me from my previous stop (Chase bank) into the parking lot thinking they'd score a big payday. Thankfully, I left nothing of value other than my business cellphone (an older iPhone 12) which was in the driver door storage area along with my Powerbeats. They either didn't care for the phone or didn't see them. Out of frustration, they threw one of the Powerbeats onto the glass-littered parking lot pavement and left the other one in the car.

MB of West Houston was super accommodating. They hooked me up with another loaner within the hour, this time with a nicer GLC 300.

Yikes sorry to hear about this encounter, especially having this occurred twice, first the GLB 250 now this GLC 300 pictured? I am glad you are fine though from both incidents.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by mars c63s
Ouch! How everything happens for a reason! Your C63s got itself into the shop to save itself from this trip!
Glad it wasn't your car!
Actually I would’ve been driving my daily work van if I hadn’t dropped off my C63s at the dealer that morning. But yeah, it could’ve been a lot worse if by some odd chance I was driving it that day.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Yikes sorry to hear about this encounter, especially having this occurred twice, first the GLB 250 now this GLC 300 pictured? I am glad you are fine though from both incidents.
Thanks! It only happened once in the GLB 250, which was the first loaner they gave me. They put me in a GLC 300 within an hour of the incident after I turned in the GLB 250 and provided them with an insurance claim number. Thankfully I have a $0 comprehensive deductible so it wont cost me anything out of pocket.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064
Thanks! It only happened once in the GLB 250, which was the first loaner they gave me. They put me in a GLC 300 within an hour of the incident after I turned in the GLB 250 and provided them with an insurance claim number. Thankfully I have a $0 comprehensive deductible so it wont cost me anything out of pocket.
Wait sorry for my questions but you mentioned the GLB 250 was the one damaged... which means I am blind??? as isn't the vehicle pictured a GLC facelift though given the interior design? Either way, I am glad it worked out in the end, hopefully you get your C 63s back sooner rather than later and none of this drama again.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
That's an example of the so called "jugging" robbery. They scout individuals coming out of banks and follow for an opportunity to rob them.

Please practice situational awareness at all times!
Old 10-07-2022, 09:26 PM

Wait sorry for my questions but you mentioned the GLB 250 was the one damaged... which means I am blind??? as isn't the vehicle pictured a GLC facelift though given the interior design? Either way, I am glad it worked out in the end, hopefully you get your C 63s back sooner rather than later and none of this drama again.
No you’re right, I screwed up on the models. So the one pictured with the smashed window is the GLC 300 which was swapped out for the GLB 250. I don’t know much about these SUV’s but it’s much nicer with the MBUX infotainment system. Here’s a a couple of pics.

Old 10-07-2022, 09:34 PM

I have an update on the issue. My SA texted this to me in the morning:

”One of the center control units for the transmission is faulting thus it needs to be replaced. We have ordered the part and it should be here by Tuesday so that we can continue the repairs”.

I’m not sure how the part failed/faulted after barely 4K miles, but I’m glad it’s getting addressed under warranty. Hopefully if all goes well I’ll have my beast back sometime next week.
chassis (10-08-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 11:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064
No you’re right, I screwed up on the models. So the one pictured with the smashed window is the GLC 300 which was swapped out for the GLB 250. I don’t know much about these SUV’s but it’s much nicer with the MBUX infotainment system. Here’s a a couple of pics.

All good, no worries at all, I thought I was blind or something thank you for the pictures, for a loaner that is a pretty good spec I am happy to hear that your dealership is treating you so well, happy to hear about the positive dealership experience after hearing and personally experiencing terrible ones myself. The GLC came out back in 2016 while the GLB came out in 2020 or so, so naturally it has a more updated cabin, totally understand how you got confused, all good though! This wouldn't matter at all but the GLC you had also had MBUX as part of the facelift in 2020. Either way and first and foremost is that you were unscathed from the incident which I am happy to hear.
Old 10-08-2022, 11:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064

”One of the center control units for the transmission is faulting thus it needs to be replaced. We have ordered the part and it should be here by Tuesday so that we can continue the repairs”.

I’m not sure how the part failed/faulted after barely 4K miles, but I’m glad it’s getting addressed under warranty. Hopefully if all goes well I’ll have my beast back sometime next week.
Probably defective from factory and started to get worse until it completely failed, I am glad it is such a minor part and glad to hear the wait isn't too long and it isn't one of the backordered parts that takes months to arrive.
Old 10-08-2022, 08:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,833 Likes on 3,020 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC

Glad a solution was found. The reason for the part failing is that MB is not a high quality manufacturer. Rather, they are a low quality manufacturer. There are innumerable examples of this.
Old 10-10-2022, 02:44 PM

All good, no worries at all, I thought I was blind or something thank you for the pictures, for a loaner that is a pretty good spec I am happy to hear that your dealership is treating you so well, happy to hear about the positive dealership experience after hearing and personally experiencing terrible ones myself. The GLC came out back in 2016 while the GLB came out in 2020 or so, so naturally it has a more updated cabin, totally understand how you got confused, all good though! This wouldn't matter at all but the GLC you had also had MBUX as part of the facelift in 2020. Either way and first and foremost is that you were unscathed from the incident which I am happy to hear.
Thank you! Yeah I'm glad I came out of this unscathed. Well, I did have a couple of cuts in my hand from the glass as I was driving home, there must've been some fine specs of shrapnel on the steering wheel which wasn't totally wiped down. But it's all good, just a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. And thankfully it didn't cost me a penny out of pocket. My insurance took care of everything. This dealership has been nothing but amazing the few times I've visited, so I'll always use them going forward.

It's a great spec for a loaner, indeed. I suspect they keep a handful of loaners on reserve for situations like this. I was very impressed at just how quickly they got me into another car, as it couldn't have been more than 50 minutes from the time they were notified of the incident. The MBUX infotainment is really nice, but the portion of the screen above the steering wheel looks really small and compact compared to the C63's digital screen. I'm wondering why they didn't change to MBUX in our C63's when it was facelifted. Our C63's got facelifted in 2019, and from what I understand MBUX came out in 2018. I also like the MBUX ambient lighting better than ours. It illuminates more areas of the cabin, it's brighter, and has more customizable settings. I don't actually mind our infotainment system, but I wish they at least made it a touch screen for the 12.3" dash screen. I have an old 2014 RAM which has a touch screen, you would think a 2021 AMG would have one lol.

Probably defective from factory and started to get worse until it completely failed, I am glad it is such a minor part and glad to hear the wait isn't too long and it isn't one of the backordered parts that takes months to arrive.
Yeah they're telling me it should be here tomorrow so fingers crossed. Now that I think of it, I do remember this happening once before very early in my ownership. It wasn't even broken in yet, somewhere around the 800 mile mark. I was in my garage at the time and I didn't think too much of it since I just assumed it was a one-off glitch. So your theory that the part was probably defective from the factory could be accurate.

Originally Posted by chassis
Glad a solution was found. The reason for the part failing is that MB is not a high quality manufacturer. Rather, they are a low quality manufacturer. There are innumerable examples of this.
Thanks! I'm really glad too. I was kind of expecting them to say they couldn't duplicate the issue and to bring it back if it happens again.

I've also read a lot of threads pertaining to poor parts and build quality after I bought the car, but I love my C63 and it wouldn't have changed my decision to buy it had I read these things prior to purchase. Knowing that it's under warranty for the next 5 years does give me a lot of peace of mind ; )
Old 10-10-2022, 07:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064
Thank you! Yeah I'm glad I came out of this unscathed. Well, I did have a couple of cuts in my hand from the glass as I was driving home, there must've been some fine specs of shrapnel on the steering wheel which wasn't totally wiped down. But it's all good, just a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. And thankfully it didn't cost me a penny out of pocket. My insurance took care of everything. This dealership has been nothing but amazing the few times I've visited, so I'll always use them going forward.
Glad to hear about the positive experience you had. Building rapport certainly helps, I hope they continue to provide you the service you deserve as a customer.

It's a great spec for a loaner, indeed. I suspect they keep a handful of loaners on reserve for situations like this. I was very impressed at just how quickly they got me into another car, as it couldn't have been more than 50 minutes from the time they were notified of the incident. The MBUX infotainment is really nice, but the portion of the screen above the steering wheel looks really small and compact compared to the C63's digital screen. I'm wondering why they didn't change to MBUX in our C63's when it was facelifted. Our C63's got facelifted in 2019, and from what I understand MBUX came out in 2018. I also like the MBUX ambient lighting better than ours. It illuminates more areas of the cabin, it's brighter, and has more customizable settings. I don't actually mind our infotainment system, but I wish they at least made it a touch screen for the 12.3" dash screen. I have an old 2014 RAM which has a touch screen, you would think a 2021 AMG would have one lol.
Hmmm, I think they don't want to risk it and adopt to every model yet, in case there are issues with the system (as it is still somewhat new) and therefore jeopardize the whole MB lineup, having something (in the case of COMAND version that was brought down from the E-Class that was released in early 2016 or late 2015 depending on the market) known to be stable in the rest of the lineups, especially MB's best sellers like C-Classes was the way to go. Plus not everyone like MBUX for different reasons.

Yeah they're telling me it should be here tomorrow so fingers crossed. Now that I think of it, I do remember this happening once before very early in my ownership. It wasn't even broken in yet, somewhere around the 800 mile mark. I was in my garage at the time and I didn't think too much of it since I just assumed it was a one-off glitch. So your theory that the part was probably defective from the factory could be accurate.
I see, glad it is just a one-off being a defect and it is now identified and addressed, hopefully the car will be flawless moving on forward for you.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064
Thanks! I'm really glad too. I was kind of expecting them to say they couldn't duplicate the issue and to bring it back if it happens again.
Ya, glad they didn't say that and actually identified the issue and fixed it "cannot duplicate" is something I experience with dealerships since forever lol.

I've also read a lot of threads pertaining to poor parts and build quality after I bought the car, but I love my C63 and it wouldn't have changed my decision to buy it had I read these things prior to purchase. Knowing that it's under warranty for the next 5 years does give me a lot of peace of mind ; )
Well, the chip shortage didn't help either, plus factories were shut down and then suddenly restarted and production was then rushed to fulfill as many pending orders as possible, people might had been laid off during the factory closures, so ya : /
Certainly, not a bad idea to keep the car, it might go up in value being a V8 https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...-up-price.html
Old 10-24-2022, 02:33 PM

Well, it looks like we're back to the drawing board. The same thing happened again over the weekend. And what's really strange is that it occurred at the exact same spot while I put the trans into reverse while performing the exact same 3-point turn to get my car into my driveway. The same thing happened, the car just froze and wouldn't go into drive or neutral until restart. It'll be going back to the dealer tomorrow .

Old 10-24-2022, 10:55 PM

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts
16' C63s, 22' RAM 1500
I wonder if it’s an electrical issue in one of the connections? Maybe water seeped in to the connections?
Old 10-24-2022, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Iridium.C63s
I wonder if it’s an electrical issue in one of the connections? Maybe water seeped in to the connections?
I doubt it’s water related. The only water my car ever sees is the occasional hand wash in my driveway. I hand wash it every 1k miles or so. I use Speed Shine detail spray to keep it clean between washes.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064
Well, it looks like we're back to the drawing board. The same thing happened again over the weekend. And what's really strange is that it occurred at the exact same spot while I put the trans into reverse while performing the exact same 3-point turn to get my car into my driveway. The same thing happened, the car just froze and wouldn't go into drive or neutral until restart. It'll be going back to the dealer tomorrow .

Sorry to hear this, if same spot is there an incline by any chance or anything that is different from other roads? I am wondering if the fluid is low being one of the possible cause?
Old 10-25-2022, 08:15 PM

Sorry to hear this, if same spot is there an incline by any chance or anything that is different from other roads? I am wondering if the fluid is low being one of the possible cause?
Thanks, my street is quite flat. All the fluid levels were checked when I took it in for Service A less than 500 miles ago.

Another shout out to my local MB dealership, Sewell Mercedes of West Houston. I got an appointment the very next day of reporting the issue and they got me into another loaner. So we’ll see what they find this time around.
Old 11-01-2022, 10:39 PM

Quick update. MB West Houston called me on Friday and said it would be a few more days before they know more. They weren’t able to replicate the problem but thankfully could see the error code stored in the ecu. Their tech foreman is baffled as he was unable to diagnose the issue, so they’ve reached out to MBNAC for help. Hopefully I should know more later this week.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ‘21 C63s Transmission Malfunction - Car Wouldn’t Move