Sponsored by:

Turbo Install D.I.Y?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2024, 10:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 C43 Coupe
Turbo Install D.I.Y?

Hello everyone, I wanted to know how challenging it is to swap out turbos on our cars. I plan on purchasing the new pure 900's(no core required) next week and after getting a quote from a shop, I'm leaning more toward swapping them myself. Earlier this year I installed catless downpipes so I think I'm capable but I could use a few tips as I never did a turbo install before. Any special tools or tricks you guys recommend?

If anyone could share the part #'s for the o-rings/gaskets and how many need to be replaced, that would be awesome. FCP euro has gaskets and o-rings but I'm not 100% sure if they are the correct ones.

In the workshop manual, it states that if you have a single piece clamp connecting the turbos to the exhaust manifolds, replace it with a 2-piece clamp. Anyone know if the 2017's came with the updated clamp?

Also curious if I need a aftermarket intake boot? Or will the stock ones fit onto the new pure 900's(claims aftermarket housing)?

Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
W205 C63 AMG Coupe
I have not done the install myself but I have read from others on this forum that the part of the turbos that attaches to the intake manifold is affixed with an adhesive that makes it difficult (if not impossible) to get off without tearing it. Might be worth having an extra set on hand in case you need them.
Old Today, 02:41 PM

2018 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by SJGetsome
I have not done the install myself but I have read from others on this forum that the part of the turbos that attaches to the intake manifold is affixed with an adhesive that makes it difficult (if not impossible) to get off without tearing it. Might be worth having an extra set on hand in case you need them.
Do you mean the boot that connects the air intake to the turbo? To my knowledge the intake manifolds aren’t being touched during a turbo swap.

Does anyone know if the low temperature coolant NEEDS to be drained? There’s a YouTube video of guys swapping turbos on a c63 and it seems they didn’t drain the coolant.. if anyone can chime in that would be great.

Old Today, 02:43 PM

2018 C43 Coupe

this is the YouTube video I’m referring to. Looks like they don’t drain the low temp coolant and have no issues installing/removing the turbos.