Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63 or CLA45

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2024 | 11:13 PM

2008 C300
C63 or CLA45

Hello all and thank you in advance for any replies. I am looking at a 2020 C63 with 36k miles or a 2023 CLA45 with 10k. Both are priced around the same and I am very torn. This will be a daily driver and will only be touching the exhaust if I go with the 63. Coming off a W204 C63, I love the raw sound, power and overall experience of the v8. The refined interior, better economy and included warranty of the 45 is very tempting. Anyone have first hand experience with the two to offer their opinion?
Old 09-18-2024 | 09:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Roush2fast
Hello all and thank you in advance for any replies. I am looking at a 2020 C63 with 36k miles or a 2023 CLA45 with 10k. Both are priced around the same and I am very torn. This will be a daily driver and will only be touching the exhaust if I go with the 63. Coming off a W204 C63, I love the raw sound, power and overall experience of the v8. The refined interior, better economy and included warranty of the 45 is very tempting. Anyone have first hand experience with the two to offer their opinion?
Here is a youtube channel of someone that went from a C 63 to a CLA 45, hopefully their videos could help you out:

C 63 search query: https://www.youtube.com/@yaboibakalli/search?query=C%2063
CLA 45 search query: https://www.youtube.com/@yaboibakall...query=cla%2045
Old 09-18-2024 | 10:03 AM

E320
C63 the CLA is poorly build in my opinion. They cut way to many corners on the CLA. Look at the non AMG version, it comes with halogen bulbs. Come on even Kia doesn't use halogen bulbs and hasn't for several years.
The following users liked this post:
C60 Free (09-19-2024)
Old 09-18-2024 | 07:49 PM
SPONSOR

2001 E55AMG
Hey @Roush2fast , below is warranty coverage information for the C63, probably eases a lot of the concern you have with the vehicle, and like @jimyj said, the CLA is not built that great. I test drove a '20 GLA 45AMG 2 years ago and my '01 E55 AMG was a more solid machine than the cheap, loud, and just "hollow" feeling GLA 45 AMG. Anyways, warranty repairs accepted at all Mercedes-Benz dealers and licensed independents in the US/Canada. Let me know if you have any questions, my contact information is below.

2020 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
Miles: 36K

Fidelity Platinum:
36 months / additional 36k miles:
$100 deductible
-$4,458
$250 deductible
-$4,033
$500 deducible
-$3,629

48 months / additional 48k miles:
$100 deductible
-$5,278
$250 deductible
-$4,657
$500 deducible
-$4,068

60 months / additional 60k miles:
$100 deductible
-$5,577
$250 deductible
-$4,887
$500 deducible
-$4,234

72 months / additional 60k miles:
$100 deductible
-$5,774
$250 deductible
-$5,036
$500 deducible
-$4,336

72 months / additional 72k miles:
$100 deductible
-$6,073
$250 deductible
-$5,265
$500 deducible
-$4,500

ALL TAX INCLUDED

Trenton O. Gibson

tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777

Last edited by Highline-Autos.com; 09-18-2024 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-19-2024 | 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
These are two very different cars and not really cross shopped. They are fundamentally different architectures. Where in the US do you live? The C63 is a longitudinal RWD architecture, whereas the CLA is a transverse FWD biased AWD architecture. If you live in snow country, then the CLA might be the way to go, but these cars drive very very differently, so part of the answer comes down to what you prefer. I have driven the A45S multiple times at AMG events, same car essentially as the CLA45. It's my least favorite AMG. Has turbo lag the size of Texas and understeers if you like to attack corners. I didn't get along with it very much. The C63 is a completely different animal being RWD, but not really a winter car if that's what you need.

As a daily, especially if your daily driving involves a lot of city driving then I would favor the CLA. I'll be the first to admit that the C63 isn't a city car or all that great in the daily commuter traffic. The transmission can be jerky at times if you don't pay attention to your throttle inputs. I personally like it, because it keeps me on my toes and involved, but it could get tiring if you find yourself slugging around in city traffic a lot. I don't commute nor daily drive as I work from home and most of my errands are within walking distance, so it's mostly a weekend car. The C63 is a great grand tourer, meaning highway cruiser, but can be a bit of a handful around town. I love it for road trips and longer distances in general, but for quick errands around town I tend to grab my wife's hatchback. I've got the full driver assistance package, so that is helpful when I do find myself in the occasional stop&go traffic. I just let DISTRONIC do the driving, and it does a good job keep things smooth.

I would suggest you drive both in the typical environment that you'll be driving and see for yourself which one you prefer. We can't really tell you. For my usage and preferences the A/CLA 45 doesn't do it for me. I'd consider one if I lived in Europe, though, as the A45 is much easier to get around in tight spaces. I did European Delivery with my C63S Coupe and in the tight parking structures and tight streets in European cities it felt a bit like an elephant in the porcelain store at times. It's why I usually rent a compact hatchback when I'm in Europe.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-19-2024 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-19-2024 | 01:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by superswiss
These are two very different cars and not really cross shopped. They are fundamentally different architectures. Where in the US do you live? The C63 is a longitudinal RWD architecture, whereas the CLA is a transverse FWD biased AWD architecture. If you live in snow country, then the CLA might be the way to go, but these cars drive very very differently, so part of the answer comes down to what you prefer. I have driven the A45S multiple times at AMG events, same car essentially as the CLA45. It's my least favorite AMG. Has turbo lag the size of Texas and understeers if you like to attack corners. I didn't get along with it very much. The C63 is a completely different animal being RWD, but not really a winter car if that's what you need.

As a daily, especially if your daily driving involves a lot of city driving then I would favor the CLA. I'll be the first to admit that the C63 isn't a city car or all that great in the daily commuter traffic. The transmission can be jerky at times if you don't pay attention to your throttle inputs. I personally like it, because it keeps me on my toes and involved, but it could get tiring if you find yourself slugging around in city traffic a lot. I don't commute nor daily drive as I work from home and most of my errands are within walking distance, so it's mostly a weekend car. The C63 is a great grand tourer, meaning highway cruiser, but can be a bit of a handful around town. I love it for road trips and longer distances in general, but for quick errands around town I tend to grab my wife's hatchback. I've got the full driver assistance package, so that is helpful when I do find myself in the occasional stop&go traffic. I just let DISTRONIC do the driving, and it does a good job keep things smooth.

I would suggest you drive both in the typical environment that you'll be driving and see for yourself which one you prefer. We can't really tell you. For my usage and preferences the A/CLA 45 doesn't do it for me. I'd consider one if I lived in Europe, though, as the A45 is much easier to get around in tight spaces. I did European Delivery with my C63S Coupe and in the tight parking structures and tight streets in European cities it felt a bit like an elephant in the porcelain store at times. It's why I usually rent a compact hatchback when I'm in Europe.
This sums up the important points, I do want to add, I have friends that does daily drive their W205 and C205 C 63 S even in the winter in snowy conditions with quality winter tires and the car is actually better than a lot of the FWD cars on the road. They kept telling me the car handles like a dream and super confident inspiring if not driving like a maniac with proper tires, they also said what is the fun of having it as a garage queen when you can enjoy it all year long. The reason I chose the W205 C 43 over the W205 C 63 S was because of the winters here, or at least fear that I can't handle it in the winter. The W205 C 43 is my daily driver and I thought I need 4MATIC.