Sponsored by:

Anyone drive their C63s in Toronto Winters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus
Anyone drive their C63s in Toronto Winters

Got my 2019 C63S AMG about 5 months ago. Now that the weather is getting colder, I need to decide whether I am going to drive it in the winter or store it. The car came with winter tires but I do have access to a winter beater.

How many of you drive your C63S in winter? If so, how is it. I could drive my winter beater if the snow gets bad enough. If not, how do you guys store the car? Just oil change and battery on a tender?
Old Today, 05:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,795 Likes on 2,377 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by f1_play
Got my 2019 C63S AMG about 5 months ago. Now that the weather is getting colder, I need to decide whether I am going to drive it in the winter or store it. The car came with winter tires but I do have access to a winter beater.

How many of you drive your C63S in winter? If so, how is it. I could drive my winter beater if the snow gets bad enough. If not, how do you guys store the car? Just oil change and battery on a tender?
I am not a C 63 S owner, the reason why I got the C 43 was because of the fear of not having 4MATIC, however, I have many C 63 S friends that do enjoy the drive in the winter with proper snow tires. They know the car well and know the safety limits of it in the snow.

They told me it is perfectly manageable with proper snow tires as long as you don't drive like a maniac.

I agree with their decision instead of having the car become a garage queen for example.

Wasn't there a Torontonian driving a lambo in the winter for reasons like these (for the vehicle to not be a garage queen)?

Last edited by W205C43PFL; Today at 05:33 PM.
Old Today, 05:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,795 Likes on 2,377 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
My thoughts is why not enjoy a car you pay for (and especially given our long winters) and compromise on the driving pleasure with a beater? As long as you drive responsibly with quality winter tires, I don't see it being an issue of daily driving it even in the winter.
Old Today, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,973 Likes on 2,649 Posts
2019 C63CS
I don't drive in the snow and climate is mild here, so summer performance tires all year. However, I've driven it in the snow at an AMG event. Mainly to drift, but it made me also realize it's more capable in the snow than some people give it credit. In particular the 9-stage traction control comes in handy, although to use it, you have to completely turn off ESP, which is probably not a good idea on public roads, but if you are stuck in some snow, it may help you get unstuck as you can finely control the amount of wheel spin.

The 2019+ also have the Slippery mode, which reduces engine torque to make it less likely that you spin the wheels when trying to drive off. If you have a sedan, then you'll also have more options for winter tires. The coupe is difficult in the winter as for the 19/20s wheels there's only one available winter tire and they are difficult to source. Have to go down to 19s all around for more options. Pic below of me drifting. As you can see it's a coupe, but they were on 19s.

Having said all that, winter/snow driving comes down to how well you can stop and for that it doesn't matter if you have FWD, AWD or RWD. That's all down to proper tires. If you can't safely stop the car in the snow, then it doesn't matter which wheels are powered. You better store it then. As long as you can safely stop in the snow, the rest is secondary. There's one caveat. If you need to drive up hills, then I wouldn't recommend RWD.

Old Today, 06:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
E320
They are horrible in the snow unless you can keep 3 to 4 dead bodies in the trunk.
Old Today, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,973 Likes on 2,649 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by jimyj
They are horrible in the snow unless you can keep 3 to 4 dead bodies in the trunk.
As explained above, I have to disagree with this blanket statement. At least for the FL with the 9-stage TC. Using it and playing with the level gets you off the ground fairly easy in the snow w/ proper winter tires. Short of using TC, the Slippery mode is also fairly good at avoiding wheel spin. The PFL and FL non-S with their brute force TC is a different story.

Last edited by superswiss; Today at 06:40 PM.