Importing ML 350 Bluetec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Importing ML 350 Bluetec

Hello, I'm getting interested in importing an ML-350 Bluetec from the states to Canada. I am bored with life and this seems like an interesting project to under take. =p Also, I'd like to save some cash. haha Obviously.

Web pricing for a loaded new 2012 seems to be around 80k here... and 60-70ish for a 2011. In the states I am finding 2011's for around 50 +/- a couple grand with low low miles. So seems to me like it is worth it. How much different is dealer pricing from what is listed on the website? I have't actually gone down to a dealer yet and checked. I do live in Alberta though and it seems to me the dealers price gouge at every turn around here for no other reason then they can. Too much money in this province. I know that hardly seems like something I should be *****ing about... while I buy a MB... haha

So I have a few questions.
There was recently a recall on the 2011 diesel regarding the fuel filter. A very minor thing. I am going to try and see if I can get the current owner to take it in and get a recall clearence printout when he gets this recall work done. Is there any vocabulary or things I should instruct him to say that might ease this process along? I have heard some dealers aren't too keen on this, knowing where it leads and they want to cash grab that 500 bucks from you.

I did a carfax on the vehicle I am looking at and it says: Loan or lien reported But it provides no more information. How to I make sure there is no liens or title loans on the vehicle? Or make sure whatever is there is removable and isn't going to hang me later. I am not too familar with this and carfax seems to be very sparse on the information here. I looked up the state sales laws for vehicles and that says the seller must clear all title loans and liens before selling but how can I verify that?

The ML 350's are built in Alabama. They have a North American VIN, 4XXX... but when I phoned the CBSA they seemed very unhelpful confirming if there was to be a duty for importing or not. I guess there was some question as to the difference between 'built' in the USA or "assembled" in the USA. Can someone verify that the 2011 ML 350 Bluetec is indeed considered "built" in the USA? That extra 6.1% would make me very sad.

Does anyone have experience dealing with the dealership regarding finding out what safety modifications vs. warranty compliance modifications are required? I get the feeling the dealership/manufacturer is going to try to blur the lines on this. For the most part I don't car about warranty, and I am certainly not spending a pile of money on it. I only care to meet the minimum Canadian safety standards.

Well that's all for now. I still have lots of questions and people to call, any advice is appreciated. (o:
Old 01-31-2012, 12:16 AM

2012 C63 AMG
Any MB dealership will charge you an arm and a leg to get it up to spec here in Alberta. You can expect a speedometer change as they require the main dial in km/h. Not sure if you can get around it with the digital setting. Child safety harness is another one that I'm aware of which is easy as they just need to sell you the part and have it in the vehicle. Daytime running lights are also required if the ML doesn't already have them stock.

Big thing though is that the warranty is not transferable to Canada (IIRC). You'll be on your own and will need to find your own warranty coverage if you go this route. Regardless of whatever vehicle you import into Canada, you'll have to pay taxes and duties.

To make sure there are no outstanding loans or liens, you'll want a bill of sale from the financing company to the current owner of the vehicle. Without that bill of sale and release, it's not theirs to sell to you.

Check this link for more info regarding importing a car from the US up to Alberta:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/107279/ja...tates-thread-/
Old 02-01-2012, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
Originally Posted by Illusive
Any MB dealership will charge you an arm and a leg to get it up to spec here in Alberta. You can expect a speedometer change as they require the main dial in km/h. Not sure if you can get around it with the digital setting. Child safety harness is another one that I'm aware of which is easy as they just need to sell you the part and have it in the vehicle. Daytime running lights are also required if the ML doesn't already have them stock.

Big thing though is that the warranty is not transferable to Canada (IIRC). You'll be on your own and will need to find your own warranty coverage if you go this route. Regardless of whatever vehicle you import into Canada, you'll have to pay taxes and duties.

To make sure there are no outstanding loans or liens, you'll want a bill of sale from the financing company to the current owner of the vehicle. Without that bill of sale and release, it's not theirs to sell to you.

Check this link for more info regarding importing a car from the US up to Alberta:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/107279/ja...tates-thread-/

To expand on this, if the warranty is not transferable, don't take it to a Mercedes Dealership for the OOP. Take it some where else. I'm in Edmonton and there are a couple of indie shops that could do the oop. As far as your day time running lights, you might just be able to turn them on yourself. I know I can on my CL65.

R.K.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:14 PM

R.K. - You run world class right?

For warranty purposes MB does the cluster, but can you do a cluster for none warranty reasons? (aesthetics)
Old 02-01-2012, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Lae.
R.K. - You run world class right?

For warranty purposes MB does the cluster, but can you do a cluster for none warranty reasons? (aesthetics)

I don't run world auto. I know all of the owners (one of them is a cousin in law) and he is a master tech from Weber. They have exclusively worked on my CL65 since I got it. I wouldn't go anywhere else. They even reprogramed my car to display in metric and celcius. The only thing that is in miles in the analog speedo. The digital one reads in km/h. You don't need to change your cluster out.

R.K.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:46 PM
GSD

2007 ML320CDI 2004 Jetta TDI
If you aren't worried about MB warranty then you can activate daytime lights and km/h from the instrument panel. Get the VMI from the owner to suffice as a recall clearance letter for RIV.ca. No duty is liable due to US manufacture of ML, GL or R.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by GSD
If you aren't worried about MB warranty then you can activate daytime lights and km/h from the instrument panel. Get the VMI from the owner to suffice as a recall clearance letter for RIV.ca. No duty is liable due to US manufacture of ML, GL or R.
What is a VMI again?
Old 02-12-2012, 09:50 AM
GSD

2007 ML320CDI 2004 Jetta TDI
What is a VMI again?
VMI = Vehicle Master Inquiry from MB Star system, dealer can pull this for free from internal system giving history of vehicle and whether any recalls are outstanding. Otherwise MBUSA will charge you $'s to say no recalls outstanding
Old 02-12-2012, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by GSD
VMI = Vehicle Master Inquiry from MB Star system, dealer can pull this for free from internal system giving history of vehicle and whether any recalls are outstanding. Otherwise MBUSA will charge you $'s to say no recalls outstanding
Ah yes. So asking for a VMI is the way to go at the dealer... Don't mention the word recall or importing and they might be your friends is it?
Old 02-12-2012, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ah yes. So asking for a VMI is the way to go at the dealer... Don't mention the word recall or importing and they might be your friends is it?

The current owner can get the VMI on the vehicle. You cannot as they will not release any info to you. Even when I bought my CL65 I phoned dealers that the car was serviced at and they wouldn't do it. I called MBUSA and they wouldn't do it either. I finally got it from Beck imports on the forum.

R.K.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 ML350 Bluetec
Hi, We're also looking to buy a 2011 ML350 Bluetec from the U.S. The one we like also has low mileage and keyless go... does MB Canada require any extra modifications for the keyless go? Is keyless go a great feature? Thx!
Old 04-14-2012, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by keman58
Hi, We're also looking to buy a 2011 ML350 Bluetec from the U.S. The one we like also has low mileage and keyless go... does MB Canada require any extra modifications for the keyless go? Is keyless go a great feature? Thx!
Of course keyless go is a great feature. Also great for resale.

R.K.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 ML350 Bluetec
Great to hear, Thanks! Do you know whether MB Canada is going to make us make any b.s. modifications to the keyless go feature?
Old 04-14-2012, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by keman58
Great to hear, Thanks! Do you know whether MB Canada is going to make us make any b.s. modifications to the keyless go feature?

Why would they do that? The keyless go is a factory feature that was available in both the USA and Canada.

R.K.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:12 PM

C240
I brought a GL from the US to Ontario and it was very easy. Nothing to it. My dealer didn't want to reprogram the digital to display metric, they wanted me to replace the analog as well which is a waste of money
Old 05-15-2012, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kingcity
I brought a GL from the US to Ontario and it was very easy. Nothing to it. My dealer didn't want to reprogram the digital to display metric, they wanted me to replace the analog as well which is a waste of money
If you want to retain the warranty and have it Mercedes Certified, then yes you will have to replace the cluster. If you don't care about that, then find a indy shop to reprogram it.

R.K.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:35 PM

C240
Do you know who could program for me in the GTA area?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kingcity
Do you know who could program for me in the GTA area?

No clue. I don't live in the center of the universe. I live and work on the other side of the country that pays and finances the rest of the country.

R.K.