CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Hello from new CL600 owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2005 | 09:11 PM

All of them, as much as I can...
Hello from new CL600 owner

Thought I'd check in...I can't believe my last visit was 4-22-'03.
I got distracted racing Mini Coopers (the "real" ones)

So, I'm back and I just "stole" a '01 CL600, brilliant Silver with black leather, AMG Sport pkg., Parktronic, etc. 35000 miles, $50K. 30 days remaining on warranty. The car is straight, no dings or dents, needs new tires, but otherwise in mint condition. 1 owner/driver, lease return and he picked up a CL65.

I've been trying to find something so I could get to the dealer and do all warranty work before it runs out. I can't find anything wrong with this car. I love it! It accelerates almost as brutally as my CLK55 and is 200% more comfortable and smooth.

Anyway I just ordered a set of Conti Sport Contact2s. I hope I made the right choice.
Old 03-31-2005 | 09:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

VIPER
That is a truly amazing deal! Even 2000 CL500s are going for 40-45k still! And thats with more mileage!!

Enjoy your new car

On a side note, is the 600 depreciating faster than the 500? I have to ask, because I'm sure there was about a 50k price difference between the 500 and 600 new (perhaps 90k vs 140k?) It seems odd that the 600's are being snapped up at such comparatively good prices! (ie, the other guy in NY that picked up a 600 in the same year, price range)
Old 04-01-2005 | 12:09 AM

NSX
Nice deal TECHBIKE. Just go to the dealer and have them check it over before the warranty is out. D2 the 600 does depreciate more. The average difference between a 500 and 600 equipped comparably for a 2001 or 2002 is about 10K. Its a much bigger bargain. Price difference between the TTV12 and 500 is a lot more. Right now anyway.
Old 04-01-2005 | 12:42 AM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by D2
That is a truly amazing deal! Even 2000 CL500s are going for 40-45k still! And thats with more mileage!!

Enjoy your new car

On a side note, is the 600 depreciating faster than the 500? I have to ask, because I'm sure there was about a 50k price difference between the 500 and 600 new (perhaps 90k vs 140k?) It seems odd that the 600's are being snapped up at such comparatively good prices! (ie, the other guy in NY that picked up a 600 in the same year, price range)
Hey Techbike. Nice deal on a nice car, right? We're in kinda the same boat. Congrats on the car, man. Where in LI are you? I'm in eastern Nassau. See you around!
Old 04-01-2005 | 11:36 AM

Thanks Guys

I was quite surprised when I checked the book values on the car. 58K at auction, 68K - 74K average retail based on condition, mileage and options.
My car came from Tennesee although the original selling dealer was Ray Catena. I was shocked to see it without any door dings and garage rash. We put the wheels on the Hunter and found all wheels true, quite uncommon for 18" rims in New York. So I bit the bullet and grabbed it. Still hiding it since I have too many cars...

I got it through a prof. wrench friend who's shop is the "service" dept of a major exotic car dealer in Long Island.

Vendetta, I'm in the Sea Cliff area. We can hook up as it gets warmer. I know some NY/NJ/CT guys get together for a MB gtg. but last one I wnt to was in Bear Mtn Park a couple years ago.

BTW, I just reactivated the Motorola phone that was in the car. It works great with the Voice recognition feature, a true handsfree mobile phone!
Old 04-01-2005 | 01:56 PM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by techbike
Vendetta, I'm in the Sea Cliff area. We can hook up as it gets warmer. I know some NY/NJ/CT guys get together for a MB gtg. but last one I wnt to was in Bear Mtn Park a couple years ago.

BTW, I just reactivated the Motorola phone that was in the car. It works great with the Voice recognition feature, a true handsfree mobile phone!
Sounds good, neighbor! I'm in Bethpage (yep - where the US Open was, and will be again in 2008 for all you golfers out there. Pity I'm not among them.)

As for the phone, yeah... I CAN'T WAIT to hook mine up. I'm on Cingular GSM, so the TDMA Moto Timeport wouldn't work with my plan. I took a tip from AMG2GO in another thread to check out mikbox.com, which is exactly what I was looking for to get a brand new Moto V600 I've got lying around here to connect with my CL.

When you get a chance, check out that thread about rough idle... We'd be interested in hearing how your CL behaves.

Take it easy,
-V
Old 04-02-2005 | 01:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

VIPER
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
Nice deal TECHBIKE. Just go to the dealer and have them check it over before the warranty is out. D2 the 600 does depreciate more. The average difference between a 500 and 600 equipped comparably for a 2001 or 2002 is about 10K. Its a much bigger bargain. Price difference between the TTV12 and 500 is a lot more. Right now anyway.
Yeah that really did surprise me. It didnt really strike me until Vendetta and Techbike posted, because when I saw the prices, I'm thinking to myself, damn thats awful close to the 500 price.

Well as I always say, no sense in purchasing a premium luxury vehicle new, let some other sap absorb the markup and then save 35-45% a few years later!!

Both of your guys enjoy the beautiful cars.
Old 04-03-2005 | 09:52 PM

Alarming but needs further investigation

My good friend's girlfriend is a servce advisor for Helms Bros. Mercedes in Queens, NY. I called and told her about my great find and also to see about getting a service appointment to make the most of the remaining warranty. I also inquired about extending the warranty.

1. She said that I DID steal the car.
2. Warranty extensions are available AND negotiable.
3. Warranty Extension is highly recommended even if only for engine/drivetrain because she knows of 2 cases already where the engine went south after 70K miles! Need to verify...

Apparently, someting to do with the aluminum motor... also something about flexible service intervals being too long for this car. I will request an oil and filter change even though the service display says it's due in 6500 miles.
Old 04-04-2005 | 04:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Techbike,

Longtime no talk...does "Upsolute on our E430s" ring a bell Congrats on the CL600, great choice! Also, nice to see you still have the E430

Best regards,
Richard
Old 04-04-2005 | 04:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Nice job coppin' the V12. Any pictures?
Old 04-04-2005 | 07:21 AM

Hey there...

Originally Posted by Richard023
Techbike,

Longtime no talk...does "Upsolute on our E430s" ring a bell Congrats on the CL600, great choice! Also, nice to see you still have the E430

Best regards,
Richard
I know...I got distracted by collecting little old Mini Coopers and started hanging out at the Minimania forums. They're perfect for tinkerers like me. These MBs are too intimidating to f••k around with

BTW, I had to change both catalytic converters on the E430 at 27K miles and I'm almost sure it was the upsolute that contributed to the early demise. They started rattling and the dealer changed them under warranty. Nice thing the upsolute retains the old chip. Still like the added performance, though.
Old 04-04-2005 | 07:26 AM

Thanks Ricky

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Nice job coppin' the V12. Any pictures?
Soon, as soon as I get the bling things I'm waiting for...and the sun comes out here in NY