CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Radio and CD player cuts out...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of them, as much as I can...
Question Radio and CD player cuts out...

Hi guys, my new (to me) '01 CL600 just developed a tick. The radio and also the CD player audio cuts out for about 3 seconds every 2 minutes. It only happens when the engine's running. The comand display is normal. I tried to duplicate it with the car parked but it didn't do it. Very annoying and I'm sure it's something digital. All I've change in the electrical circuit was a pair of extreme white H7 bulbs for the high beams and yellow 9006s for the fogs (same wattage).

Any ideas???
Old 04-15-2005, 11:18 AM

CL 500
I had the same problem with my '04 CL 500... I took it to the dealer and they said that they performed a software upgrade... Hope this helps
Old 04-15-2005, 11:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by techbike
Hi guys, my new (to me) '01 CL600 just developed a tick. The radio and also the CD player audio cuts out for about 3 seconds every 2 minutes. It only happens when the engine's running. The comand display is normal. I tried to duplicate it with the car parked but it didn't do it. Very annoying and I'm sure it's something digital. All I've change in the electrical circuit was a pair of extreme white H7 bulbs for the high beams and yellow 9006s for the fogs (same wattage).

Any ideas???
Hey man... I had the same damn problem, and if yours is for the same reason, you're gonna love this answer.

I noticed that sometimes the radio would go dead quiet, as if the signal to the speakers was being cut. BUT the CD was actually being PAUSED... the songs would always pick up right from where it stopped playing.

You know what it was? The phone of all things. I had the previous owner's Motorola TimePort (which was not active, by the way) plugged into the system. You know how every now and then a mobile phone will register itself on the network? Well its doing that was putting the whole audio system into MUTE each time. And as you know, when you mute the CD, it pauses.

Problem solved and I was one happy ****.

On a separate note, I just got the Mik-Box yesterday and installed it myself before it had a chance to catch its breath from out of the box. I'm now using a brand new V600 I had laying around as my car phone - which'll never leave the car - and forwarding my "real" phone to it when I'm driving. The V600 exibits none of the problems above. It works perfectly, except for some of that GSM buzzing which I and the other party can hear on occasion.

I really hope this helps. Ciao,
-V
Old 04-15-2005, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus

Any ideas???
Like Vendetta wrote, remove the phone from the cradle. It can be an unactivated phone or it can be a phone with a new text message/voice mail that has not been "cleared".

-s-
Old 04-16-2005, 08:26 AM

All of them, as much as I can...
Thanks guys!

I guess that was it. I do have the timeport built in and I've activated the phone; for 9.95 a month, not a bad deal and just like V, I just forward my regular cell to it when I'm in the car. There was one mesage in the voicemailbox so I've cleared it and I'll check it now.

I just started reading about this MIKbox thing. Is it difficult to install? I guess I'll go check out the audio forums.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
SL65 AMG
I guess that was it. I do have the timeport built in and I've activated the phone; for 9.95 a month, not a bad deal and just like V, I just forward my regular cell to it when I'm in the car. There was one mesage in the voicemailbox so I've cleared it and I'll check it now.

I just started reading about this MIKbox thing. Is it difficult to install? I guess I'll go check out the audio forums.

Mik-Box all the way bro. I got mine and like a 5-year old on Christmas I had the box open and was screwing with it immediately. Before I knew what's what I had my trunk open the left panel off, the Mik-Box installed and then I realized I had no Torx-7 bit to get the glovebox false bottom panel off to install the cradle. So I took the other car (to not engage the CL's electrical system while work in progress) to the hardware store and got one, came home and finished the job. Now look, I do NOT work on cars - certainly not THIS car. But this was a piece of cake and took me all of 45 minutes WITH the trip to the store.

And aside for a bit of GSM hum which I'm addressing (Mik suspects it's a bad cable and is helping me troubleshoot [Thanks, Mik]), the freaking thing works awesome. It's a totally different experience now, having a fully active COMAND system. Hell, you're close enough, shoot me a PM if you wanna see it and we'll meet up!

Simply stated: The Mik-Box is the absolutely seamless way to get your car to work with your phone as if it were provided and installed by Mercedes itself.

-V

Last edited by Vendetta; 04-16-2005 at 11:43 AM.