High Milaeage advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 03:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 CLK55
High Milaeage advice

I'm thinking of buying a high milage 85,000 miles CL600 for £30k (GB).

Any problems or advice on this ?

What are the issues of buying a high milage example ?

Thanks
Paul
Old 04-20-2005, 03:50 PM

All of them, as much as I can...
After a thorough check...

I don't think 85000 is a lot if the compression numbers and systems checks are good. I'd have a reputable mechanic or trusted dealer service dept. check it out. If the service intervals were done early or on time, and used synthetics, you should be OK. My 2c
Old 04-20-2005, 05:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
SL65 AMG
At the current exchange rate, that's deep into the $50's, right? It's tough to tell the ballpark value from your post, but I'm guessing it's a 2001 at the latest, given the mileage. What year is it? Does it have any major options?

Here in the US we're seeing some very nice '01s and 02's going for in the $50's with mileage in the 20K-30K range -- I myself bought one of them.

In any case, you will love the car provided it passes all the checks a reasonable person will perform before plunking down a fistfull of money for it. Take it to a local Benz dealer and pay to have them look the car over, and run a service history report on the VIN (their systems are linked, so whatever dealer you go to, they can tell you about that very car). They will tell you how the car was cared for, provided it was cared for by MB. If it wasn't, then it's tough to really tell. Good luck mate!

-V
Old 04-20-2005, 06:31 PM
Almost a Member!

04 CLK55
Originally Posted by Vendetta
At the current exchange rate, that's deep into the $50's, right? It's tough to tell the ballpark value from your post, but I'm guessing it's a 2001 at the latest, given the mileage. What year is it? Does it have any major options?

Here in the US we're seeing some very nice '01s and 02's going for in the $50's with mileage in the 20K-30K range -- I myself bought one of them.

In any case, you will love the car provided it passes all the checks a reasonable person will perform before plunking down a fistfull of money for it. Take it to a local Benz dealer and pay to have them look the car over, and run a service history report on the VIN (their systems are linked, so whatever dealer you go to, they can tell you about that very car). They will tell you how the car was cared for, provided it was cared for by MB. If it wasn't, then it's tough to really tell. Good luck mate!

-V

The car is 2001 and for sale direct from MB with 12 months warranty and recent service. It does look good value compared with other models of same age. It drives well apart from the brakes which seemed to need too much pedal pressure to operate compared to an 04 S500. I am considering purchasing if they can sort the brakes out.

Thanks for your responses
Old 04-21-2005, 08:27 PM

All of them, as much as I can...
The brake symptoms you describe are usually due to using inferior aftermarket brake rotors and pads The metallurgy of OEM rotors is such that it wears away with the pads. Thus, cutting rotors is not recommended. At that mileage, they will have been changed 2-3 times. The only rotors/pads that are acceptable outside of MB parts are Zimmermann rotors and EBC greenstuff pads.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:40 AM
Almost a Member!

04 CLK55
I bought the car yesterday - pick up on wednesday. I'll pass your comments on to the MB prep technicians - many thanks.