CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Do your calipers say "mercedes benz"?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NSX
Do your calipers say "mercedes benz"?

Guys when I bought my CL600, all of about 3000 miles ago with 17K, I noticed my front brake calipers said "Mercedes Benz" on them. When I went to the tire shop to change my wheels, curiously, neither caliper had anything written on it. I know I am not imagining stuff, what has happened to those labels? Do they wear off? is it a sticker/label that fell off? did someone do something to my car during service? Does anyone know how this could happen?
Old 07-18-2005, 12:05 PM

All of them, as much as I can...
Mine did.
Are you sure it's not just brake dust covering it? While the wheels are off, it may be worth just spraying Brake Kleen all over it and wiping them down.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
SL65 AMG
My car's in for a "service B" so I'll let you know when I get it back. A related question though: are only the front rotors cross-drilled? I noticed the rears are not, at least on my car, and was wondering if they're perhaps aftermarket.

-V
Old 07-18-2005, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Only the fronts are cross-drilled on non-AMG versions of the CL. On the 55 and 65, the rear discs are drilled as well.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:26 PM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by JackStraw
Only the fronts are cross-drilled on non-AMG versions of the CL. On the 55 and 65, the rear discs are drilled as well.
Thanks Jack. Looks a little lopsided to me now that more of the brakes are showing through the new rims. I may just have to upgrade. :v

-V
Old 07-18-2005, 05:04 PM

NSX
No they definitely aren't dirty.... its very odd... the logo is just.... GONE!
Old 07-18-2005, 05:14 PM

04 C320 Coupe MT
Did you use a very aggresive wheel cleaner? Or had it washed at a car wash that did? I'm thinking that maybe some acidic wheel cleaners may have just taken the lettering off. I have been concerned about that with my car, although nothing has happened yet.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:36 PM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
Weird, eh? I know yours is a year newer, but what color are the calipers themselves? I took a look at some hi-res photos of my wheels (car is stil in the shop) and from the little I can see through the spokes, it looks like mine are simply black like enamel paint. Also looked at every single CL on Ebay and can't tell from there, either.

Was the writing on your calipers raised? pressed? etched? screened? painted? If you can remember, of course.

-V
Old 07-18-2005, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Vendetta
My car's in for a "service B" so I'll let you know when I get it back. A related question though: are only the front rotors cross-drilled? I noticed the rears are not, at least on my car, and was wondering if they're perhaps aftermarket.

-V
Stock rears aren't drilled but are available. OEM Zimmermans come drilled fronts but a couple of outfits will custom-drill the rears. ot really necessary unless you race the car; then I'd slot and drill front and rears and go for 8 piston calipers.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:31 PM

My CL's in the shop for ABC valve replacement and the hydraulic line recall. I;ll check when it's back.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:17 AM

Sorry I take it back! No logos.

Know what it is? It's in our heads. We've been looking at too many pictures of other wheels/tires/models, and etched it in our minds that there WAS a logo there.

I don't think there ever was. There's an embossed star in the rears but the fronts are a nice smooth glossy black. Nice spot to put a sticker, though.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:06 PM

NSX
Man I SWEAR to God.... my front calipers used to say "Mercedes Benz" in white on them.... I don't know what is going on.... I know I am not imagining it.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:56 PM

OMGSH! they stole your brakes and swapped them out!!!!! its probably floating around on ebay.............lol jp
Old 07-21-2005, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
I went thru this same thing just recently asking about calipers. I bough an '05 CDI and an '06 E350... both more or less identical (except the engine of course).. but oddly the E350's calipers said Mercedes benz on them, and the CDI's didn't... called to three different dealers and all say that they don't know if a difference.

In your case, I would not (at all) be surprised if they took those off and replaced them with generic MB calipers. just by looking at them, the ones that say Mercedes Benz look like better castings, etc.. so you may want to find out of you particular year and model of car came with those then ask the repair shop to explain themselves.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:24 PM

SL65 AMG
Man I SWEAR to God.... my front calipers used to say "Mercedes Benz" in white on them.... I don't know what is going on.... I know I am not imagining it.
Dunno, man... just the fronts? We have real similar cars, pretty much optioned to the back teeth, and mine are glossy black. Do you have any early pics of when you first bought the car to check against?

And does ANYone on this board have an 02 CL600 with OEM calipers to put a fella's mind at ease?

-V
Old 09-13-2005, 07:56 PM

Were you looking for these calipers?

I saw them again after I power-washed the wheels and underbody!

Just pulling your leg, I was at my local sign/sticker maker having racing decals made for my Cooper and thought about this thread. I had a pair made...
Attached Thumbnails Do your calipers say "mercedes benz"?-caliper.jpg  

Last edited by techbike; 09-13-2005 at 07:57 PM. Reason: dupe image
Old 09-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If you guys don't mind, can yall post the year of your CL + the size of the brake rotor?
Old 09-13-2005, 08:09 PM

NSX
Originally Posted by techbike
I saw them again after I power-washed the wheels and underbody!

Just pulling your leg, I was at my local sign/sticker maker having racing decals made for my Cooper and thought about this thread. I had a pair made...
I may need to cut back on the Vodka... but yeah that is EXACTLY what my calipers looked like when I bought the car. White Mercedes Benz lettering on the front calipers only. I have seen this on other cars my year. I think there are two versions of calipers or some do have factory stickers.

Anyway I don't care now because I am upgrading my brake system. But I will take some measurements of the rotors and stuff. For those who want to know... there is about a pound weight difference ONLY between the CL600 caliper and the 8 piston CL55 caliper. The 55 is made of lighter material because it is twice the size. The rotor however is clearly heavier. The CL55 front rotors are 35 pounds a piece. The CL65 uses a floating type and I think is about 8 pounds less than that. This year MB seems to have gone to floating on 55 rotors too as I saw them in the showroom. Stoptech's rotors are about 25 pounds. Same size....
Old 09-16-2005, 12:35 PM

Is the stock CL600 caliper lacking?

I'm sure the upgrade is worth it in performance and ++bling but I'm just curious whethter the stock CL600 needs it. I know that along with any added HP and handling performance upgrades, upgraded brakes should be a priority but stock like mine...

Of course, since I haven't taken it beyond 110mph, I wouldn't know if my EBC greenstuff pad upgrade is enough to ensure safety.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:26 AM

NSX
I think in most cases the stock system is more than enough. I am doing it mainly for looks as my new wheels are very open and you see it all. I got a good deal from a forum member on his SL55 brakes. I am trying to see if I can fit them. Still not sure...
Old 09-18-2005, 09:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Guys when I bought my CL600, all of about 3000 miles ago with 17K, I noticed my front brake calipers said "Mercedes Benz" on them. When I went to the tire shop to change my wheels, curiously, neither caliper had anything written on it. I know I am not imagining stuff, what has happened to those labels? Do they wear off? is it a sticker/label that fell off? did someone do something to my car during service? Does anyone know how this could happen?
My calipers read "Mercedes Benz" in some sort of metallic paint. The words aren't cast into the calipers. I can see how, if they were cleaned with an abrasive, the lettering could come off.