HPS supercharger installed !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' Clk 500 Cabriolet, 01' CL 55, 00' Clk 430
Originally Posted by Clk&Slk
But Jim (shop owner) told me that got around 388 rwhp (with 20" wheels).

Correction, Adam saw the post and said that my hp quote was wrong. It actually around 399-400 rwhp !!! Dyno chart will be post soon once i recieve it.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Josh, this is water to air intercooler. It not air to air intercooler. Have you ever saw the Mercedes factory water to air intercooler? and what size are they? Josh, why does the oiler cooler is not as big as big as turbo/sc intercooler? Big isn't alway mean better? You were not part of the engineering team that designed this kit, so what make you think you know better? You say thing just because it look smaller then what you expect?

If you have to ask me how long it take for the ECU to adapt, then you don't know jack !!! Why don't you ask Kleemann that with their sc. Josh, i'm done responding to your post because it NOT productive. But i will answer anyone question that are interesting in HPS.
I can barely understand what you're trying to say, but here's a shot:

Size is not always the only factor, but it is one that should be considered. The reason I said something about it is because I'm buying a custom aluminum radiator for my car, and as it turns out, the company that's making my radiator is the same company HPS sources their intercoolers from. The guy who actually makes them for HPS said that the intercooler is too small for the application in which it's being used. LOL

And I wasn't asking you how long it takes an ECU to adapt for my own knowledge, but as evidenced by your grammar I suppose you're also unfamiliar with rhetorical questions.

You need to check yourself bro. My first response to your post was not malicious in any way - I simply told you to keep an eye on the issues you were having and to have fun with your new toy (I wished the same to thericker and he replied in a civilized fashion). I said what I had to say about the intercooler from personal knowledge, not assumptions, and you're the one who jumps on me telling me I don't know jack and talking about "craps." (I'll assume you meant "crap"). If you can't take friendly advice without turning it into a pissing contest then you seriously need to grow up (at the very least, learn to speak the f-in language).
Old 08-12-2005, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NSX
Let not forget Vadim (Evosport) did a dyno awhile back with stock wheel vs 19" wheel on his C32 (i think it was on his C32 or someone else car) and it showed 10 rwhp lost with 19" wheel.
Maybe Vadim was swiggin' some Jack daniels operating the dyno that day... 10 rear wheel horsepower by a wheel change? There is something else that caused those # differentials... those results do not make any sense to me...

I am a huge proponent of lightweight wheels but if you think about the simple physics, something is not right....
Old 08-12-2005, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Thumbs up

Just has HPS sc installed on mine CL 55. I'll let you guys know what i think in about two weeks.
Congrats Linh ! enjoy !
can't wait to see it at the next MB/AMG meet I'm organizing.

Looking to be sometime in early October in Irvine.
Will let you know, and also invite Adam (HPS) again with more of his toys !
Also will see if I can get evosport, CEC, MBWerks, House of Power, and other tuners out to the meet. I love to see what everyone is working on for our beloved MB's !!

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 08-12-2005, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Originally Posted by Josh K
Yeah, my bad - that's what being up for 25 hours straight does to you ;0)
LOL !! get some sleep !

Josh,
any word on that AMG air box ?
have you done your S/C install yet ?

I'll be up at Mark's house on Aug 20th (3 pm) for some more Steve (MBenzNL) installs,
if possible, would be great to see you there.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 08-12-2005, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
Maybe Vadim was swiggin' some Jack daniels operating the dyno that day... 10 rear wheel horsepower by a wheel change? There is something else that caused those # differentials... those results do not make any sense to me...

I am a huge proponent of lightweight wheels but if you think about the simple physics, something is not right....
Well everything I've ever heard or read about larger wheels, and using larger brakes knocks down your hp to the wheels substantially....I was watching this tuner show on tv...A few months back, and they couldn't figure out why in the hell they were losing 20 or so hp to the wheels after installing a bigger wheel & brake combo...Only after puting it back to the stock wheel and brake combo, did they realize this interesting fact...There's obviously something to it
Old 08-12-2005, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
I can barely understand what you're trying to say, but here's a shot:

Size is not always the only factor, but it is one that should be considered. The reason I said something about it is because I'm buying a custom aluminum radiator for my car, and as it turns out, the company that's making my radiator is the same company HPS sources their intercoolers from. The guy who actually makes them for HPS said that the intercooler is too small for the application in which it's being used. LOL

And I wasn't asking you how long it takes an ECU to adapt for my own knowledge, but as evidenced by your grammar I suppose you're also unfamiliar with rhetorical questions.

You need to check yourself bro. My first response to your post was not malicious in any way - I simply told you to keep an eye on the issues you were having and to have fun with your new toy (I wished the same to thericker and he replied in a civilized fashion). I said what I had to say about the intercooler from personal knowledge, not assumptions, and you're the one who jumps on me telling me I don't know jack and talking about "craps." (I'll assume you meant "crap"). If you can't take friendly advice without turning it into a pissing contest then you seriously need to grow up (at the very least, learn to speak the f-in language).
I think the way you retort in your posts concerning HPS, completely come off antagonistic....The ECU only needs 20 min to adapt?? I think Powerchip would beg to differ they said it needed about 200 miles for the ecu to adapt to 1 of their programs..Or are you trying to say you can drive 200 miles in 20 min in your suped up hop RICER MOBILE, as well as Mech-Tech, HPS, and Kleemann ect they all say you need a couple of hundered adaptive miles foe the ECU to adapt..Where do you get this stuff? or are you just making it up as you go along?? because that's what it looks like...IE..the comment on the intercooler being heat soaked after 1 full throttle run ??? and being substandard in size ?? because the guy that supplies them to HPS told you so ????Please... that comment is hear say at best, to borrow from Lihns post "Were you involved in the R&D of the HPS GEN II?" the same could be said for the guy that supplies the intercoolers for HPS what the hell does he or you know about this product??All you do is rip on it and try to drag it down...I mean you come off as if your this SUPER TUNING GENIUS that has been installing and engineering SC's for 10-15 years in reality your buddy that owns hop has only been in business 2-3 years and has installed how many hop systems?? 2-3 centrifugal systems including your car???You need to tone it down man...I can appreciate your positive additions to this forum, But this HPS bashing on your part is sarting to make you look stupid...1) the system works! It's not heat soaked after 1 full throttle run... 2) I'm not the only one who thinks this way, If I was the only person, then why is the HPS gen II system flying off the shelves? and being installed on nearly every model benz, across the globe? If the system was so sub par, don't you think people would catch on and not buy it????REALITY CHECK---it works extremely well, AND THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

Last edited by Thericker; 08-13-2005 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by thericker55
and being substandard in size ?? because the guy that supplies them to HPS told you so ????Please... that comment is hear say at best, to borrow from Lihns post "Were you involved in the R&D of the HPS GEN II?" the same could be said for the guy that supplies the intercoolers for HPS what the hell does he or you know about this product??
Go ask him yourself. He's at PWR-Performance in Lake Elsinore. I don't think he needs to be involved in the R&D for this particular product. It's a Magnusen/Eaton unit. Are you implying that the s/c HPS uses is magically different from other MP112's? Don't you think someone who manufactures intercoolers and radiators knows what's required to cool that unit?

I didn't rip his product, I merely said that he will have a bit of a heat issue because of the nature of the beast. If linh's going to be an ***, I'll reply in kind.

Oh and as far as the ECU adapting - perhaps I should have been more specific and specified the TCM. He was describing a transmission issue and the transmission does NOT take 200 miles to adapt.

And who brought up HoP or said anything bad about anyone in this thread? Certainly not me. All I told him to do was keep an eye on the issues he described and to have fun. My intercooler remark was a statement of fact, and a statement of fact is not bashing. Making statements about "craps," "knowing jack," "ricer mobiles," etc. etc. are more along the bashing lines. Go have fun with your cars or have some drinks and get laid. Either way, RELAX.

Last edited by Josh K; 08-13-2005 at 01:43 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Go ask him yourself. He's at PWR-Performance in Lake Elsinore. I don't think he needs to be involved in the R&D for this particular product. It's a Magnusen/Eaton unit. Are you implying that the s/c HPS uses is magically different from other MP112's? Don't you think someone who manufactures intercoolers and radiators knows what's required to cool that unit?

I didn't rip his product, I merely said that he will have a bit of a heat issue because of the nature of the beast. If linh's going to be an ***, I'll reply in kind.

Oh and as far as the ECU adapting - perhaps I should have been more specific and specified the TCM. He was describing a transmission issue and the transmission does NOT take 200 miles to adapt.

And who brought up HoP or said anything bad about anyone in this thread? Certainly not me. All I told him to do was keep an eye on the issues he described and to have fun. My intercooler remark was a statement of fact, and a statement of fact is not bashing. Making statements about "craps," "knowing jack," "ricer mobiles," etc. etc. are more along the bashing lines. Go have fun with your cars or have some drinks and get laid. Either way, RELAX.
No matter how you slice it, your comments are allways negative concerning HPS, maybe I went a little far on the ricer comment...I don't have any temp issues w/my HPS I think Lihns problem lies in his geography (it's 100 + F) where he lives) In Santa Barbara, It's no higher than 78 F outside, and w/spirited driving my guage has been pegged at 80-85 going no higher(Same as when it was stock) but when I left Mech-Tech my guage went to 90 in stop + go traffic and that was in 100 F plus heat so I think that's the issue Lihn is having..ps don't try and make yourself look like an ANGEL here....that comment regarding Lihn's ability to speak english was totally uncalled for, I think he does pretty damn good considering English is his 2nd language, he writes and speaks it better than a lot of people on these boards..(not meaning you) I have seen many torture the English language far worse than he ever does....I wasn't trying to start a flame war, just retorting to your HPS slaming....I think if a product a CO. puts out is failing to meet there advertised claims, or is having reliability issues, Then sure I'll be the 1st to make complaints, but in HPS case they've exceeded my expectations! and until I see different I'll continue defending there product....

Last edited by Thericker; 08-13-2005 at 03:52 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:40 PM
Banned

Here's the dyno chart..........
Attached Thumbnails HPS supercharger installed !!!-untitled.jpg  
Old 08-13-2005, 06:14 PM
mlg

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
06 C350 sport 6MT
hps s/c

phone 3# please for contact for hps s/c i'm in east tn but close enuf to dc , charlotte, atlanta thanx
Old 08-13-2005, 07:13 PM
Banned

Just go to www.myhps.com
Old 08-13-2005, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
Looks good. I'm really surprised that your car only made 288 stock. Did you get an a/f readout for your base dyno?
Old 08-16-2005, 09:29 AM
Out Of Control!

Here's the dyno chart..........
Your dyno readout looks pretty good!
Old 08-16-2005, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
It's probably a photoshopped dyno.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Banned

Guys, this is the most happiest day since i pick up my CL 55 HPS sc. Now i got a perfect system. I want to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU to Adam and Bill at HPS for listen to every my concern and corrected the problem.

You all know i was very concern about the engine temp rise after installed HPS sc. But now, the problem is FIXED !!! Now, i can floor it as many times as i want and the temp only rise up to about 85 degree max. It also only took about 30s to bring the temp from 85 down to 80 degree at cruising. I'm sorry, but i can't let you guy know how HPS fixed it. It a secret. The engine just feel so much responsiveness. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU again to Adam and Bill. I am SO HAPPY now !!!
Old 08-16-2005, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Guys, this is the most happiest day since i pick up my CL 55 HPS sc. Now i got a perfect system. I want to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU to Adam and Bill at HPS for listen to every my concern and corrected the problem.

You all know i was very concern about the engine temp rise after installed HPS sc. But now, the problem is FIXED !!! Now, i can floor it as many times as i want and the temp only rise up to about 85 degree max. It also only took about 30s to bring the temp from 85 down to 80 degree at cruising. I'm sorry, but i can't let you guy know how HPS fixed it. It a secret. The engine just feel so much responsiveness. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU again to Adam and Bill. I am SO HAPPY now !!!
lol why make it a secret? Shouldn't this system be trouble free from the get go? Of all my friends and aquaintances who have the HPS system complained of overheating of some sort. I have yet to hear of a system that was installed once and done perfect.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Godfather
complained of overheating of some sort. I have yet to hear of a system that was installed once and done perfect.
IT NOt OVER HEATING !!!! It run a little hotter then before. I called two Mercedes dealer and spoke to two head mechanic and they both said that it nothing to be concern of since it still run within Mercedes spec. The spec. is from 80-100. But HPS goes ahead and find a fixed for us just because we were concerned. That is what customer service is all about !!!
Old 08-16-2005, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Well....I guess this puts a rest to Josh's theory of the intercooler being to small Like I said before the guy that told J that the HPS intercooler was to small for the mp112 blower didn't know D-ick.....I'm not trying to be a jerk here.. Just stating the obvious...
Old 08-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Banned

Come on, now !! You actually believe what Josh said. It one of those thing. HOP vs HPS, HOP vs Kleemann....etc. They'll say what ever to make people think their system is better then others. Well, let just say, HPS is laughing all the way to bank with their system. And how many HOP sold.......? Just go to their website.....

Last edited by Clk&Slk; 08-16-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Come on, now !! You actually believe what Josh said. It one of those thing. HOP vs HPS, HOP vs Kleemann....etc. They'll say what ever to make people think their system is better then others. Well, let just say, HPS is laughing all the way to bank with their system. And how many HOP sold.......? Just go to their website.....
Ahhhh. you misunderstood my post, I never believed our intercoolers on the HPS were too small, I was merely making light of J's previous comments....re-read my other posts I'm the one who was arguing w/him about his mis-guided statements on the intercoolers.....
Old 08-17-2005, 12:35 AM

NSX
Guys the intercooler has little effect on engine temprature.... some blown motors run without an intercooler at all and they are just fine. The intercooler is only cooling the charged air so it is more dense, so more gas can be added and more power is gained. Its not cooling anything else!

What mainly affects engine temp is ambient air in the engine compartment itself, the size of the fan and radiator, the thickness of the A/C condenser and any other coolers blocking airflow to the radiator...

If the intercooler sits in front of the radiator, it being thinner is actually better for what is cooling your engine (your radiator).. but worse for power gains. Also an oversized intercooler can introduce some lag, which is unwanted. I would think that someone like HPS has done their homework, it would suck as a manufacturer that basically sells on HP levels to have their power robbed by a mistake like that. This is not a hard thing to calculate.

The reason the engine is running hotter with the supercharger has almost nothing to do with the intercooler but with the fact that the engine is simply producing more power. More power = more heat. Car engines are not very effecient thermal machines.

Now what I would wonder about is whether Linh being so concerned with the engine temp's slight rise is actually an issue. Perhaps the guys at HPS don't want to divulge info because what they have done is not something that would be looked at too fondly by a knowledgable tech. They may have done it to simply make a customer happy, but it may have zero benefit otherwise. I do find it strange that it is a "secret". My guess is that they may be kicking the fan on faster/more often and/or they have changed the thermostats.

Linh was the factory cooling system upgraded in any way with this install? The factory system is designed for 300, not 400 horsepower. An additional oil cooler, bigger radiator, different thermostat, bigger or more sensitive fan are all helpful.

Bottom line is that no matter how well this system may have been designed (and it may be good enough), its never going to equal a factory system. There is just too much of a difference between the vast engineering resources of a manufacturer like MB/AMG and a small aftermarket company.
For sure the overall lifespan of Linh's engine will be reduced. But it may not matter enough for someone who is not keeping the car forever. And for 10K he has a car that probably runs circles around a standard 500.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:05 AM
Banned

"Guys the intercooler has little effect on engine temprature.... some blown motors run without an intercooler at all and they are just fine. The intercooler is only cooling the charged air so it is more dense, so more gas can be added and more power is gained. Its not cooling anything else!

What mainly affects engine temp is ambient air in the engine compartment itself, the size of the fan and radiator, the thickness of the A/C condenser and any other coolers blocking airflow to the radiator...

If the intercooler sits in front of the radiator, it being thinner is actually better for what is cooling your engine (your radiator).. but worse for power gains. Also an oversized intercooler can introduce some lag, which is unwanted. I would think that someone like HPS has done their homework, it would suck as a manufacturer that basically sells on HP levels to have their power robbed by a mistake like that. This is not a hard thing to calculate."

I totally agreed with you but try to tell that to Mr. engineering Josh K.

"The reason the engine is running hotter with the supercharger has almost nothing to do with the intercooler but with the fact that the engine is simply producing more power. More power = more heat. Car engines are not very effecient thermal machines."

That's the main reason why it running hotter.

"Now what I would wonder about is whether Linh being so concerned with the engine temp's slight rise is actually an issue. Perhaps the guys at HPS don't want to divulge info because what they have done is not something that would be looked at too fondly by a knowledgable tech. They may have done it to simply make a customer happy, but it may have zero benefit otherwise. I do find it strange that it is a "secret". My guess is that they may be kicking the fan on faster/more often and/or they have changed the thermostats."

It not a secrect to HPS customers. We know exactly what HPS did. I just don't want to say how HPS fixed it. We has competition and we don't want to give away our research. HPS are working on another project to make the kit even better then it already is.

"Linh was the factory cooling system upgraded in any way with this install? The factory system is designed for 300, not 400 horsepower. An additional oil cooler, bigger radiator, different thermostat, bigger or more sensitive fan are all helpful."

Everything still stock. But i don't have a heating problem anymore. It actually run cooler then stock now.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:24 AM

NSX
how much boost are you running? is the system still running on the factory fuel injectors?
Old 08-17-2005, 01:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AMG2GO
how much boost are you running? is the system still running on the factory fuel injectors?
Are you kidding, with over 100+ rwhp and still running on stock injectors? I'm currently running about 6-7 psi. I'm not sure if HPS want me to give out info regarding their kit. But let just say that, the kit for AMG engine and the non-AMG engine in term of boost, fuel, electronic..etc are difference.

Last edited by Clk&Slk; 08-17-2005 at 02:11 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HPS supercharger installed !!!