HPS supercharger installed !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 01:05 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' Clk 500 Cabriolet, 01' CL 55, 00' Clk 430
HPS supercharger installed !!!

Just has HPS sc installed on mine CL 55. I'll let you guys know what i think in about two weeks.
Attached Thumbnails HPS supercharger installed !!!-20_1560107_810200543703pm.jpg  
Old 08-11-2005, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NSX
WOW...

How much did it cost you? was it worth doing this? I mean why not just upgrade to a 2003+?

It looks nice... what was the milage on the car before you did this?

Let us know how it goes!
Old 08-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Out Of Control!

Linh,

Congrats! Can you pls post some dyno numbers. Would like to see how much rwhp that setup is putting down. How long have you had it installed and pls keep us posted on your experience.

thanks
Old 08-12-2005, 02:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AMG2GO
WOW...

How much did it cost you? was it worth doing this? I mean why not just upgrade to a 2003+?

It looks nice... what was the milage on the car before you did this?

Let us know how it goes!

Around $10K (included installation) and it worth every pennies. Yes, i could have wait and look for a 2003 model but (to make the story short) I was never ever think about looking for a CL until that one Sunday when i already make an offer on the 2004 Clk 500 cabrio. As we were walking back inside the office, i saw the CL 55. I asked him to test drive it and when we came back, i parked two cars next to one another. It took me 10 mins to pick the CL 55. It was a starmark car with 42K miles. It now 43K miles with HPS sc.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JamE55
Linh,

Congrats! Can you pls post some dyno numbers. Would like to see how much rwhp that setup is putting down. How long have you had it installed and pls keep us posted on your experience.

thanks

Thanks JamE55, it was nice seeing you again at the AMG meet in Carlsbad. Anyway, i just pick up my car today and put about 130 mile on it so far. I don't have the before and after dyno chart yet because Adam has it and he couldn't meet me when i pick up the car today. But Jim (shop owner) told me that got around 388 rwhp (with 20" wheels). It does not matter anyway because i will re-dyno it at another shop to verify the hp gain and air fuel ratio. Don't alway believe what ever the manufacturer said. So far, the car performance flawless. It F$$^%ck so quick. Everytime I tap the throttle, the car just leap forward regardless rpm. The torque is INSTANTLY avaliable at any rpm. I personally felt that the torque was too much for first gear. If not carefull, you can damages the tranny in the long run. On my way home today on the freeway, i experienced an odd thing when i floored it. The engine rev so fast that the tranny didn't shift to next gear fast enough and the engine hit the rev limiter. Both time, i was doing at least 120 mph. I also noticed that the tranny start to shift exactly at 6000 rpm but the tranny was not fully engage until 6500 rpm and by then, the engine hit the rev limiter. I think once the ECU have enough time to adapt, i won't have this problem. Some how, it just felt faster then my friend stock 2004 E55. I guess due to the low end and mid-range instant torque that the root type sc are known for and where Kleemann and Mercedes sc are know for mid-range and top end power. Another thing that i was a little concern was, the engine temp gauge was constantly showing in the middle of the third mark (90F) and went back down to 80F when i was just cruising but it went back up to 90-95F once i floor it. When mine car was stock, it usually stay at 80F and only went up as high as 90F on a hot day. I do remember someone from Hong Kong that installed Kleemann kit on the 500 engine and got the same engine temp as mine with HPS sc. He was also concern like me. So James, does your engine temp showed the same as mine when you floor it?
Old 08-12-2005, 05:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by Clk&Slk
Thanks JamE55, it was nice seeing you again at the AMG meet in Carlsbad. Anyway, i just pick up my car today and put about 130 mile on it so far. I don't have the before and after dyno chart yet because Adam has it and he couldn't meet me when i pick up the car today. But Jim (shop owner) told me that got around 388 rwhp (with 20" wheels). It does not matter anyway because i will re-dyno it at another shop to verify the hp gain and air fuel ratio. Don't alway believe what ever the manufacturer said. So far, the car performance flawless. It F$$^%ck so quick. Everytime I tap the throttle, the car just leap forward regardless rpm. The torque is INSTANTLY avaliable at any rpm. I personally felt that the torque was too much for first gear. If not carefull, you can damages the tranny in the long run. On my way home today on the freeway, i experienced an odd thing when i floored it. The engine rev so fast that the tranny didn't shift to next gear fast enough and the engine hit the rev limiter. Both time, i was doing at least 120 mph. I also noticed that the tranny start to shift exactly at 6000 rpm but the tranny was not fully engage until 6500 rpm and by then, the engine hit the rev limiter. I think once the ECU have enough time to adapt, i won't have this problem. Some how, it just felt faster then my friend stock 2004 E55. I guess due to the low end and mid-range instant torque that the root type sc are known for and where Kleemann and Mercedes sc are know for mid-range and top end power. Another thing that i was a little concern was, the engine temp gauge was constantly showing in the middle of the third mark (90F) and went back down to 80F when i was just cruising but it went back up to 90-95F once i floor it. When mine car was stock, it usually stay at 80F and only went up as high as 90F on a hot day. I do remember someone from Hong Kong that installed Kleemann kit on the 500 engine and got the same engine temp as mine with HPS sc. He was also concern like me. So James, does your engine temp showed the same as mine when you floor it?
Linh,

You will continue to see the heat issue - roots blowers are known for getting hot and the intercooler that HPS uses is about 1" thick - after one good throttle rip, it's pretty much heat soaked.

*****Edited due to my being a dumbass with no sleep******

Don't expect too much of a difference with HP #'s because of the wheels. In the case of a CLK430, they consistently baseline around 215 at the wheels, and mine baselined at 216 with my heavy *** Carlsson 19"s. It might be worth a hp or two (if anything) but nothing drastic.

Finally, make sure you get the shifting issue addressed as that's not due to extra power. I've driven a HoP charged and Kleemann charged car - neither had this issue. While it may be an ECU adapting issue, keep in mind that the ECU adapts after a pretty short time (about 20 mins of spirited driving).

Keep a close eye on the temp and shifting issues and make sure that they fix them if they don't go away. Enjoy your new toy and have fun! Hope to see you at some meets.

Last edited by Josh K; 08-12-2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:37 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by Josh K
Also FYI, Kleemann and Lysholm units are roots superchargers as well. Roots simply denotes a charger that sits on top of the motor and replaces the manifold. ;0)
I hope you're kidding.....
Old 08-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Out Of Control!

Hey Linh,

Yes it was nice seeing you again too. Pls keep us posted of your dyno numbers. And to answer your question about the engine temp. Mine is always on constant 80F - 83F but when i hit heavy traffic almost not moving then it goes up. Which i guess it normal. But i've never hit more than 90F or above. Something might be wrong with your setup i don't know. You may want to check with Adam and see what he says about that. Also when i floor mine WOT no traffic it's still on constant 80F.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:00 AM

NSX
Linh,

Don't expect too much of a difference with HP #'s because of the wheels. In the case of a CLK430, they consistently baseline around 215 at the wheels, and mine baselined at 216 with my heavy *** Carlsson 19"s. It might be worth a hp or two (if anything) but nothing drastic.
I don't think wheel weight has much to do with maximum horsepower. Once that rotational mass is moving, its not sucking up much additional power.

HOWEVER.... getting it moving is a different story. It definitely takes MORE power to get a heavier wheel to spin fast. So it is really more like having a heavier car, not like having less power.

Will it affect final horsepower #'s? Probably nothing measurable.

Will it slow down the car's acceleration? definitely.

Linh, for all the money you have spent on performance, I don't think those 20" chrome wheels are helping you. I know you like their looks, but
Just FYI my friend, they are not the lightest things out there.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:06 AM

NSX
BTW if it all holds together, 10K including install is a very reasonable price.

Do keep us updated as to the issues you are having.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Banned

Hey Linh,

Pls keep us posted of your dyno numbers. And to answer your question about the engine temp. Mine is always on constant 80F - 83F but when i hit heavy traffic almost not moving then it goes up. Which i guess it normal. But i've never hit more than 90F or above. Something might be wrong with your setup i don't know. You may want to check with Adam and see what he says about that. Also when i floor mine WOT no traffic it's still on constant 80F.

James, i find it hard to believe that your car temp never goes pass 90F. I've seen and both of mine SLK and Clk temp goes up past 90F on a hot day or in traffic. I think we both looking as the temp gauge differently. Anyway, let not forget about the wealther out here in Lake Elsinore, it in the 100F almost everyday for the past months.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:39 AM
Banned

I don't think wheel weight has much to do with maximum horsepower. Once that rotational mass is moving, its not sucking up much additional power.

HOWEVER.... getting it moving is a different story. It definitely takes MORE power to get a heavier wheel to spin fast. So it is really more like having a heavier car, not like having less power.

Linh, for all the money you have spent on performance, I don't think those 20" chrome wheels are helping you. I know you like their looks, but
Just FYI my friend, they are not the lightest things out there.

Let not forget Vadim (Evosport) did a dyno awhile back with stock wheel vs 19" wheel on his C32 (i think it was on his C32 or someone else car) and it showed 10 rwhp lost with 19" wheel.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:49 AM
Banned

BTW if it all holds together, 10K including install is a very reasonable price.

Do keep us updated as to the issues you are having.
I don't think it an issue on the two thing i mentioned. To be honest, i did not give it enough time for it to adapt yet (only 130 miles). And the weather is in the 100F where i live. I'll give another update in about 500-1000 miles.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Out Of Control!

James, i find it hard to believe that your car temp never goes pass 90F. I've seen and both of mine SLK and Clk temp goes up past 90F on a hot day or in traffic. I think we both looking as the temp gauge differently. Anyway, let not forget about the wealther out here in Lake Elsinore, it in the 100F almost everyday for the past months.
Linh,

Seriously. I've never seen mine go past 90F. The highest i've seen was 88-89F and i was sitting in traffic not moving for a few mins. But other than that never past 90F. Maybe it's the weather or temp where i am? Who knows.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Banned

Linh,

Seriously. I've never seen mine go past 90F. The highest i've seen was 88-89F and i was sitting in traffic not moving for a few mins. But other than that never past 90F. Maybe it's the weather or temp where i am? Who knows.
James, i mis-understood you. I thought that your car remain 80-83F at all time. Well, mine is about 5 degree hotter then your in traffic. With 20 degree difference in weather from where you live will definitely cause mine to run a little hotter.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by CoryU
I hope you're kidding.....
Yeah, my bad - that's what being up for 25 hours straight does to you ;0)
Old 08-12-2005, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S

Right - but all dyno figures are usually taken in 3rd or 4th gear (depending on the tranny) and you won't see much difference on a dyno; certainly not more than the normal variance between cars (about 2-3 hp)
Old 08-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Out Of Control!

James, i mis-understood you. I thought that your car remain 80-83F at all time. Well, mine is about 5 degree hotter then your in traffic. With 20 degree difference in weather from where you live will definitely cause mine to run a little hotter.
Most of the time when i'm cruising with no traffic 80-83F is average. But when traffic hits forget about it. I'm playing with the idea of adding an ic spray for max efficiency. But still doing my homework.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
F=Farenheit
C=Celsius

You guys aren't really claiming that your cars run max temps of 90 degrees farenheit, are you?
Old 08-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Banned

Most of the time when i'm cruising with no traffic 80-83F is average. But when traffic hits forget about it. I'm playing with the idea of adding an ic spray for max efficiency. But still doing my homework.
James, please let me know after you done your homework. If it work on your, i'll definitely go that route too.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Banned

It does not matter anyway because i will re-dyno it at another shop to verify the hp gain and air fuel ratio. Don't alway believe what ever the manufacturer said.
I feel the need to explain this matter because some people mis-understood what i said. What i'm saying is that, based on my past experience with Kleemann pulley kit on my Slk 230. I have a problem with A/F ratio, it was at 15.6:1. Because of this past bad experienced, i no longer trust any companies or take their words for it. It alway best and smart to do your own dyno and verify all the info. I have no doubt what HPS said is TRUE, regarding to a/f ratio and hp gains from the kit.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Banned

Linh,

You will continue to see the heat issue - roots blowers are known for getting hot and the intercooler that HPS uses is about 1" thick - after one good throttle rip, it's pretty much heat soaked.

*****Edited due to my being a dumbass with no sleep******

Finally, make sure you get the shifting issue addressed as that's not due to extra power. I've driven a HoP charged and Kleemann charged car - neither had this issue. While it may be an ECU adapting issue, keep in mind that the ECU adapts after a pretty short time (about 20 mins of spirited driving).

Keep a close eye on the temp and shifting issues and make sure that they fix them if they don't go away. Enjoy your new toy and have fun! Hope to see you at some meets.

Josh K, i respect your opinion on other things but when it come to HPS, Kleemann sc........you sure wrote ALOT of craps !!! Like 1" thick, 20 mins ECU adapting....etc. are CRAPS !!
Old 08-12-2005, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
Josh K, i respect your opinion on other things but when it come to HPS, Kleemann sc........you sure wrote ALOT of craps !!! Like 1" thick, 20 mins ECU adapting....etc. are CRAPS !!
I never said one bad thing about either one. All I said was that HPS uses a VERY small intercooler. This is far from "craps;" (LOL) take a look at it yourself.

And how long do you think it takes an ECU to adapt?
Old 08-12-2005, 08:30 PM
Banned

I never said one bad thing about either one. All I said was that HPS uses a VERY small intercooler. This is far from "craps;" (LOL) take a look at it yourself.

And how long do you think it takes an ECU to adapt?

Josh, this is water to air intercooler. It not air to air intercooler. Have you ever saw the Mercedes factory water to air intercooler? and what size are they? Josh, why does the oiler cooler is not as big as big as turbo/sc intercooler? Big isn't alway mean better? You were not part of the engineering team that designed this kit, so what make you think you know better? You say thing just because it look smaller then what you expect?

If you have to ask me how long it take for the ECU to adapt, then you don't know jack !!! Why don't you ask Kleemann that with their sc. Josh, i'm done responding to your post because it NOT productive. But i will answer anyone question that are interesting in HPS.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:31 PM
Banned

I went back to Mechtech to pick up my old parts and this is what i saw........

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/foru...sp?tid=1221789

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HPS supercharger installed !!!