CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Question about Renntech upgrade? How will I know??? Could this happen??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Renntech upgrade? How will I know??? Could this happen??

1. There is a dealer selling a CL600 with a renntech upgrade. He said he can write a receipt showing it had the upgrade. But other than that he said there is nothing signifying it. My question is I will no doubt feel the extra power. But how do I know which stage he put in it or if he put another chip in it and is claiming its a renntech upgrade??

2. Also, if you bring it into MB for warranty, will technicians ever see that it has been upgraded and would deny service?

3. Also, does having a renntech upgrade cause more problems later down the road as far as reliability of the car?

Last edited by GIRTHBOY; 12-20-2005 at 02:16 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:56 AM

I'm not an expert on any of this but, I've been doing some research myself on some of these same issues.
#1. I know that on the newer Cl600's, 2003-Present.......there are really no different "stages" as you say. The typical upgrade is that they reprogram the engine computer and also the transmission computer. That's pretty much it. The different "stages" come into play only with the CL55 with the V8 motor. You can check this out on the Renntech web site.
#2. As far as proving that it's really a Renntech upgrade in the car.......maybe you can contact Renntech and see if they maintain any documentation on the vehicles that they do. For instance, maybe they keep the VIN's on file. I believe that ONLY Renntech in Florida does the Renntech upgrades. Unlike Kleeman for instance, they have various qualified shops around the country that can do the Kleeman upgrades. With Renntech, you send them your computers for the reprograming, then they send them back to you. Or.......I guess if you live close, you can take your car to them.
#3. As far as a dealer goes.......you may want to search out a "performance friendly" dealer before taking your car in. Call some dealers on the phone first before you take your car and commit yourself. I have the same kind of thing done to my Z06 Vette. It's called an LS1 Edit. Now, you can get away with bringing it to the dealer for almost anything that does not concern the electroincs of the engine. If the dealer decides to "reflash" your computer, it will wipe out the upgrade. The "reflash" will set everything back to factory specs.
#4. Voiding the warantee.........well, this all goes back which dealer you go to. Like I said earlier, search out a "performance friendly" dealer first!
#5. As far as any long term effects on the car from the upgrades......I think that it depends mostly on the driver. If you mash the pedal to the floor eveytime you drive it, you will probably shorten the life of the car. I have about 20,000 miles on my Z06 Vette since the upgrades and the car rides and performs like it was new. Actually, better than new!....lol. The "tune" just gives you much more powwer on hand when you need it. Other than that, the car will behave just like it didn't have anything done to it.

Again, I'm no expert but........I hope this info helps!
Old 12-20-2005, 06:17 PM

Thanks for that! I wonder how to find a performance friendly dealer if I use the factory warranty. If I am in Southern California , any recommendations on where to go?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:09 PM

I'm in New Jersey.........sorry, I can't help you with that! Maybe someone on the forum can help!