CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

CL lowering… revisited

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
s65
Waiting like... waiting for mail, or to buy?? I think I have 18 or so new lugs. Add a set of locking lugs and you would be there.... shipping and handling would be good for me bro... I spent like $10 ea on those damn things, only to get em all free again when I bought my newest rims.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:02 AM

s65
So the rear links are about 7 1/4" long from the center to center and 8" long tip to tip... as measured on the car.... I will buy adjustable links and fab rear links... full write up with links and part numbers after it is done.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Cl 500
Originally Posted by onelightmind
Waiting like... waiting for mail, or to buy?? I think I have 18 or so new lugs. Add a set of locking lugs and you would be there.... shipping and handling would be good for me bro... I spent like $10 ea on those damn things, only to get em all free again when I bought my newest rims.
waiting like.... to buy.

how long are the lugs you have, and 10 bucks a pop, wow thats robbery, from the dealership?

ALi
Old 01-24-2008, 10:44 PM

s65
not sure man, I ask waiting like what b/c it seems I am always waiting for crap to show up... but anyway... let me check... yes it felt like robbery when I was installing my first set of 20's standing in the parking lot of a used tire place/patch/cheepo repair place and the guy made me a deal and sold me 10 for like 70 plus tax.... they are at the bottom of my trunk under alot of audio equip which should be installed this wknd.

Lowering update.... found the part that will work for the rear

The rear link on the CL is about 7.25" center to center and to lower we need to SHORTEN the back so...
http://marchperf.com/pg51.html#rods
RA-4.375 min length 6.375 max length 7.875 price each $43.26

rear rods $86.52
washers $2.00
bolts and nuts $2

Less than $100.00 CL lowered... still might try to find the parts at a hardware store, but $87 plus shipping beats the F*#k with it factor... look for a step by step sometime next week with pics. Need to measure the front and make up a proper link also....someday.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
not sure man, I ask waiting like what b/c it seems I am always waiting for crap to show up... but anyway... let me check... yes it felt like robbery when I was installing my first set of 20's standing in the parking lot of a used tire place/patch/cheepo repair place and the guy made me a deal and sold me 10 for like 70 plus tax.... they are at the bottom of my trunk under alot of audio equip which should be installed this wknd.

Lowering update.... found the part that will work for the rear

The rear link on the CL is about 7.25" center to center and to lower we need to SHORTEN the back so...
http://marchperf.com/pg51.html#rods
RA-4.375 min length 6.375 max length 7.875 price each $43.26

rear rods $86.52
washers $2.00
bolts and nuts $2

Less than $100.00 CL lowered... still might try to find the parts at a hardware store, but $87 plus shipping beats the F*#k with it factor... look for a step by step sometime next week with pics. Need to measure the front and make up a proper link also....someday.
yea i feel ya, but i still haven't bought mine and they have to be 3/4 inch long i believe, or maybe 25mm long.

That Rod would work with the right mind, as your self. i say try it, but buy the rod below that one, that way you can lower it to the max or bring it back to normal easily

ALi
Old 01-25-2008, 05:04 PM

Big and Heavy 03 CL
Originally Posted by goliath27
yea i feel ya, but i still haven't bought mine and they have to be 3/4 inch long i believe, or maybe 25mm long.

That Rod would work with the right mind, as your self. i say try it, but buy the rod below that one, that way you can lower it to the max or bring it back to normal easily

ALi
Ali,
Do you need lug bolts or something??? I have four sets of bolts...since I've gone through four sets of wheels and they all require different lengths. I just had my Brabus wheels installed today and they required 36mm bolts. I have a set that is longer and a set that is shorter than 36 mm. They have the rounded lug bolt head, which I have needed and one set is not rounded. Let me know. I would hate to see you drop $80 to $150 on bolts when I have a ton! Pay for shipping and you can try them all, keep what works, and send back what you don't need.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
Originally Posted by Jay9722
Ali,
Do you need lug bolts or something??? I have four sets of bolts...since I've gone through four sets of wheels and they all require different lengths. I just had my Brabus wheels installed today and they required 36mm bolts. I have a set that is longer and a set that is shorter than 36 mm. They have the rounded lug bolt head, which I have needed and one set is not rounded. Let me know. I would hate to see you drop $80 to $150 on bolts when I have a ton! Pay for shipping and you can try them all, keep what works, and send back what you don't need.
Jay your the man, the bolt I need is a conical seat, and I guess the iForged wheel is a thinner wheel because I measured it and I'll need somewhere from 22-25mm length. any help their?

i found a set on ebay for only like 25 bucks, their 22mm long and i think i'll jump on those and see how that fits if anything.

new pics of those new wheels?

ALi
Old 01-25-2008, 07:16 PM

Big and Heavy 03 CL
Jay your the man, the bolt I need is a conical seat, and I guess the iForged wheel is a thinner wheel because I measured it and I'll need somewhere from 22-25mm length. any help their?

i found a set on ebay for only like 25 bucks, their 22mm long and i think i'll jump on those and see how that fits if anything.

new pics of those new wheels?

ALi

Gotta be honest with ya man...I think I have what you need. I used the round seat for mine but I have a short set of conical in chrome. I can snap a photo tomorrow and post if you like. Although 25 ain't too shabby. Wheel pics are coming but it's 26 degrees out and my car is filthy...gotta make her pretty before I take her picture.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:34 PM

Beacham, I was considering them as well. The owner seems to be ver receptive to questions, etc. Has anyone else had any experience with this kit?

Anyone else interested in purchasing from this site? Maybe I can try to set up a group buy depending on the response here?.. I'd be up for that..

Originally Posted by beacham
i have put on a kit from www.adjustableairride.com it was a good price and easy to fit.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:59 PM

Big and Heavy 03 CL
Originally Posted by deviilsadvocate
Beacham, I was considering them as well. The owner seems to be ver receptive to questions, etc. Has anyone else had any experience with this kit?

Anyone else interested in purchasing from this site? Maybe I can try to set up a group buy depending on the response here?.. I'd be up for that..

+1 for group buy. I checked it out and I like it.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:47 PM

+1 for group buy. I checked it out and I like it.
Jay if you would like I would be more than glad to try to organize the group buy on this.. Should I make up a thread for it?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
Jay if you would like I would be more than glad to try to organize the group buy on this.. Should I make up a thread for it?
thats a great idea, but i got a feeling ONELIGHTMIND can come through on one soon, wanna hold off a little for it?

ALi
Old 01-27-2008, 07:51 PM

thats a great idea, but i got a feeling ONELIGHTMIND can come through on one soon, wanna hold off a little for it?

ALi
Yeah no doubt, I'm in no rush to get it.. If you guys want I can maybe start preliminary talks and negotiations with them and see where it leads..

I definitely wanna lower my car a bit..
Old 01-27-2008, 08:01 PM

Big and Heavy 03 CL
Yeah no doubt, I'm in no rush to get it.. If you guys want I can maybe start preliminary talks and negotiations with them and see where it leads..

I definitely wanna lower my car a bit..
There's no harm in starting a thread. It doesn't have to be just a CL thread either. Contact this vendor and put a feeler out to them. Tell them you know about 10 guys looking to lower and see what they could do for a group buy of 10 and 20. We don't have to commit to anything but a little info would be cool. I'm in no hurry either but if we could get it for around $150 to 200 I might GET in a hurry. I'm from the school of thought where I would rather buy from somebody who has done a few and been able to tweak the imperfections that way when it destroys my car I know where I can channel my rage to.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
There's no harm in starting a thread. It doesn't have to be just a CL thread either. Contact this vendor and put a feeler out to them. Tell them you know about 10 guys looking to lower and see what they could do for a group buy of 10 and 20. We don't have to commit to anything but a little info would be cool. I'm in no hurry either but if we could get it for around $150 to 200 I might GET in a hurry. I'm from the school of thought where I would rather buy from somebody who has done a few and been able to tweak the imperfections that way when it destroys my car I know where I can channel my rage to.
well said, 150 is a deal for me

ALi
Old 01-27-2008, 09:21 PM

I hear ya... I'll get cracking on that tomorrow or Tuesday.. I'll keep you guys updated..
well said, 150 is a deal for me

ALi
Old 01-28-2008, 01:38 AM

s65
If they do it for 150 a set that would be worth the F@#K with it factor, however I have to head over to the specialty hardware store tomorrow and I'm gonna see if they have any rod ends and threaded rods as this is how every link kit is manufactured. The only tricky part is in the front which requires a small piece of angle aluminum to attach to the bottom of the upper arm of the suspension. Easily fabricated with a drill press. I was thinking we could use the stock piece of angle with the threads attached if we drill it off the stock link. I will absolutely fabricate a kit before paying 299 though. Audio update.... pay someone else to do yours. I am taking pics and will write a full report if someone wants to get brave. I have the rear seat out along with the rear shelf, all trunk lining and one door torn down. Speaker rings are fabricated for the front components. I purchased a speaker which works wonderfully in an infinite baffle setup (Image Dynamics IDMAX) only to find the rear deck full of holes which is a no no. A sealed box may be the way to go, mounted to the rear deck for you guys, but since my sub was $550 alone, I will seal all the holes. Mercedes went cheap on the sound system... but somehow, the last time I blasted it I thought to myself, "This system sounds good." I can't wait to finish my install and hear a real system.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
If they do it for 150 a set that would be worth the F@#K with it factor, however I have to head over to the specialty hardware store tomorrow and I'm gonna see if they have any rod ends and threaded rods as this is how every link kit is manufactured. The only tricky part is in the front which requires a small piece of angle aluminum to attach to the bottom of the upper arm of the suspension. Easily fabricated with a drill press. I was thinking we could use the stock piece of angle with the threads attached if we drill it off the stock link. I will absolutely fabricate a kit before paying 299 though. Audio update.... pay someone else to do yours. I am taking pics and will write a full report if someone wants to get brave. I have the rear seat out along with the rear shelf, all trunk lining and one door torn down. Speaker rings are fabricated for the front components. I purchased a speaker which works wonderfully in an infinite baffle setup (Image Dynamics IDMAX) only to find the rear deck full of holes which is a no no. A sealed box may be the way to go, mounted to the rear deck for you guys, but since my sub was $550 alone, I will seal all the holes. Mercedes went cheap on the sound system... but somehow, the last time I blasted it I thought to myself, "This system sounds good." I can't wait to finish my install and hear a real system.
keep us updated with pics in a new thread, would be great to see, and great speakers you picked up by the way.

ALi
Old 01-28-2008, 10:53 PM

s65
Lowering kit update...

Went to Elliott's hardware today and found the parts i needed to make my very own DROP KIT.... Threaded rod ends which will screw onto allthread bars, cut to the proper length (stock) they wil have about an inch of range, which is more than enough. They were like $15 ea and I will need a total of 8. Unfortunatly, I need the stock ones off my car to pick the exact one. So tomorrow I will remove stock and run to the hardware store. Think i can get the entire kit built with top grade parts in a few hrs. I will write down all the part numbers and write up a method for the do-it-yourselfers out there. Maybe I could slap together a kit for people without access to the parts. I WILL have COMPLETE lowering links tomorrow for under $150!!! Stay tuned.

I finished the rear speaker plate today and the mounting ring for the sub. Took forever.... so sweet looking though.

Last edited by onelightmind; 01-28-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:59 PM

man, onelight, way to go buddy... Can't wait to see what you come up with..
Old 01-29-2008, 12:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL600 2005 745Li
Great post some pix of what you come up with and how you install them !

Lowering kit update...

Went to Elliott's hardware today and found the parts i needed to make my very own DROP KIT.... Threaded rod ends which will screw onto allthread bars, cut to the proper length (stock) they wil have about an inch of range, which is more than enough. They were like $15 ea and I will need a total of 8. Unfortunatly, I need the stock ones off my car to pick the exact one. So tomorrow I will remove stock and run to the hardware store. Think i can get the entire kit built with top grade parts in a few hrs. I will write down all the part numbers and write up a method for the do-it-yourselfers out there. Maybe I could slap together a kit for people without access to the parts. I WILL have COMPLETE lowering links tomorrow for under $150!!! Stay tuned.

I finished the rear speaker plate today and the mounting ring for the sub. Took forever.... so sweet looking though.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 PM

s65
Cool

Ok, so how do I post the photos in the post? Having trouble with that, and how do I become a "Member" instead of "almost a member?" Anyway, I have used the mercedes jack more times than I can count. Once I figure out how to post pics in the post I will write a full report: :"Lowering DIY" I was successful in making a complete set of links for less than $70.00. Making them is actually easy, but installation is a pain in the.... I have taken a photo of the stock photo for the rod end I used. If I had it to do over again I would NOT have made front links, and continued to use 4 - 1/4" washers instead, which is the height I went back to with my links. Looks excellent. A little more than an inch over each tire. I know this height works, b/c that is what the washers ended up being in the front and I drove it like that for sometime. Sorry for the stall move on the writeup, but I want to write most everything I learned about washers, links, ect with all the photos at one time.
Attached Thumbnails -img_0093.jpg  

Last edited by onelightmind; 01-30-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:26 AM

Onelightmind.. Go to www.photobucket.com and get your pics hosted, then they will provide you with a link to the pics and you take it from there.. Would love to see the write up on this. Nice job, I've been waiting on you to see whether this is a true DIY or whether we should consider doing a group buy somewhere.. Any pics of the car now? nice job on all the work you've done.

Ok, so how do I post the photos in the post? Having trouble with that, and how do I become a "Member" instead of "almost a member?" Anyway, I have used the mercedes jack more times than I can count. Once I figure out how to post pics in the post I will write a full report: :"Lowering DIY" I was successful in making a complete set of links for less than $70.00. Making them is actually easy, but installation is a pain in the.... I have taken a photo of the stock photo for the rod end I used. If I had it to do over again I would NOT have made front links, and continued to use 4 - 1/4" washers instead, which is the height I went back to with my links. Looks excellent. A little more than an inch over each tire. I know this height works, b/c that is what the washers ended up being in the front and I drove it like that for sometime. Sorry for the stall move on the writeup, but I want to write most everything I learned about washers, links, ect with all the photos at one time.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
this is gonna be SWEET!!!

ALi
Old 02-01-2008, 01:15 AM

s65
Cool Lowering DIY: The $70 COMPLETE DROP

Go find: " Lowering DIY: The $70 COMPLETE DROP "

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CL lowering… revisited