so what actually happens...????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001,CL 500
so what actually happens...????

when you hit a pothole...i have been wondering lately as my day usually involves dodging them as they occur here every 2.3 ft...i have hitten some huge ones in the past and start cursing for minutes..then tonight as i hit a real gorgeous one i thought maybe id ask. im wondering if it is actually not as bad as it sounds/feels...am i actually damaging the wheel that bad? are the shocks affected negatively or the abc hydraulic system damaged? is alignment affected with every little hole you hit? i hope someone here can tell me...
Old 07-06-2006, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ex 03 W215 now 08 e92 M3
I know exactly what you mean.

The simplest way to put it is yes; the louder it sounds generally, the worse it will be.

All bumps produce wear on the shocks. The angle that the wheel is turned as it hits the edges of the pothole, the speed at which you take them etc.. all affect the severity of the shock damage or the chance that you have knocked the front end out of alignment. When you hit deeper, more abrupt pits you produce an increased amount of wear to the shock and a higher potential for mis-alignment. This does not worry me as much as the idea of chipping or abrating the wheel surface. (the other stuff just has to be checked often by your S.A. buddy)

All and all I have gotten over worrying about it 'cause they're everywhere like you said. But bieng in a public works background I can advise you this: Many potholes form from utility repairs, new or previous trenchlines for utility installations or other improvements where asphalt overlays are not joined properly. After weather, wear, and ground movement, these areas get hammered.

When you roll, keep one eye on traffic and the other on the infrastructure! Don't drive right in the center of the lane like all other robots do! These are where the deepest part of the pits form. Stay just off center. Stay out of the lane where the water line runs...you'll see all the valve cans for hydrant shut-offs , etc... See a new development up ahead, chances are they will have all the tie-ins for sewer, storm, comm.,elec., etc..so just creep through.

Just some ideas. But wanted to say that I've thought the same thing.

BTW I love the picture.

Last edited by OC kid; 07-06-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love that picture as well.. Wow..