CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Shifter Stuck in Park & Exhaust Rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 07:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Shifter Stuck in Park & Exhaust Rattle

Well it finally happened. The night before my trip I was running some last minute errands. On my third stop, the car would not shift out of park. When deperessing the brake, I was able to hear a click but was not able to shift out of P. Had it towed that night while still in park. I just don't understand why they didn't engineer some kind of manual overide for situtations like this. Totally messed up my plans for that evening.

It turned out to be the shift control module. About a week or two before the failure it was getting stuck in N briefly when shifting from D to P. If this happens to you, get it checked because your module might be failing.

As for the exhaust rattle, for about a month I would hear a rattle under the center of the car (driver/front passenger area). At first I thought it was a mount or heat shield. I was able to get the car on a ramp and slide under it to inspect. Heat shields and mounts were fine. I then tapped on the catalytic converters and heard the rattle. Imagine pebbles in can type of sound. One of the two went bad and the sound was the internal comb broken up. There was no odor and no noticable effect on performance either.

Both items were covered by the extended warranty. The cats are covered for 8yr 80k miles or 7yr 70k miles depending on where you live and even if your vehicle is out of warranty.

My car is an 01 with 34K miles.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 S500
Repair Solution

I have the plastic part in stock and I can ship worldwide. Log on to www.monoglobal.com.au to view and order the part.

Internal plastic lever is there to prevent children from inadvertedly moving the gearstick lever out of Park. Removing the lever may cause your car to roll away down a hill with your kids inside.

Choose from original plastic or high strength aluminum. Repairs can be done by any reputable MBZ shop in about an hour or two. No need for recoding with Star Diagnosis.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Originally Posted by monoglobal
I have the plastic part in stock and I can ship worldwide. Log on to www.monoglobal.com.au to view and order the part.

Internal plastic lever is there to prevent children from inadvertedly moving the gearstick lever out of Park. Removing the lever may cause your car to roll away down a hill with your kids inside.

Choose from original plastic or high strength aluminum. Repairs can be done by any reputable MBZ shop in about an hour or two. No need for recoding with Star Diagnosis.

Monoglobal,
I'm glad to hear an after market solution for this all too common problem finally exists. I had mine replaced under warranty a while back, but if this problem resurfaces I will definitely go this route. I also like that your replacement has an aluminum option making it a "final" repair.
You'd think Mercedes after all these years would do the same.

Thanks again!