CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Lifespan of a Benz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes!
Lifespan of a Benz

I just wanted everyone's opinion about how long do Mercedes-Benz automobiles typically last. I especially wanted to hear from the people who have purchased their Benz post DaimlerChrylser merger. If I take care of it as recommended by the service schedules and my own upkeep, the car should last for awhile, but when should I expect major mechanical and engine problems to occur? My warranty ends @ 100,000 miles for my CL and I have about 72,000 miles on it so far. Bottom line, will it last like the old school "tanks" that Mercedes-Benz used to make and which we occassionally see on the roads today? Or, due to changes in automobile manufacturer's willingness to keep quality a priority, will the post DaimlerChrysler Benzes not last very long?

Mo
Old 02-14-2007, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Originally Posted by CoupeLeicht600
I just wanted everyone's opinion about how long do Mercedes-Benz automobiles typically last. I especially wanted to hear from the people who have purchased their Benz post DaimlerChrylser merger. If I take care of it as recommended by the service schedules and my own upkeep, the car should last for awhile, but when should I expect major mechanical and engine problems to occur? My warranty ends @ 100,000 miles for my CL and I have about 72,000 miles on it so far. Bottom line, will it last like the old school "tanks" that Mercedes-Benz used to make and which we occassionally see on the roads today? Or, due to changes in automobile manufacturer's willingness to keep quality a priority, will the post DaimlerChrysler Benzes not last very long?

Mo
I have 98K miles on my outgoing E55. I think keeping any benz for a long time these days is crazy not because of the motor repairs, but all of the electrical issues/glitches/switches that can nickle and dime you to death over the years. The motors still seem to be solid Just my .02
Old 02-15-2007, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
I think perhaps your question needs to be rephrased. Any car will last indefinitely if properly cared for. What I mean by this is that in addition to performing normal maintenance, faulty parts are replaced promptly on an as needed basis. Having said this, I think the question might be, how much is it going to cost to keep an MB in good operating condition. On these newer MB's, I think you know the answer. The above post says it well.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Lorinser Edition CL600 (SOLD)
Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
I think perhaps your question needs to be rephrased. Any car will last indefinitely if properly cared for. What I mean by this is that in addition to performing normal maintenance, faulty parts are replaced promptly on an as needed basis. Having said this, I think the question might be, how much is it going to cost to keep an MB in good operating condition. On these newer MB's, I think you know the answer. The above post says it well.
Keeping a Benz use to be part of its legacy, and lifespans of 10+ years were not uncommon. That was a major pride factor with owners. That's all history now what with continuous brand dilution and heavy competition within the ranks as well as from other brands.

Given that the Benz body lifespan has been literally cut in half in recent years, tying funds up in a depreciating asset that will not only have totally obsolete technology and an out-of-style "poor man's" Benz look after about 4 years or so, not to mention, an expired warranty, dealing with aftermarket warranties, most of which are not worth the paper they're written on, and paying through the nose for everything those aftermarket warranties won't cover - - it simply ain't worth keeping the car, hence the hideous and monumental depreciation - especially on the old CL. None of these models will be anything close to a collector classic - with the exception of perhaps the SLR - will be worth keeping. They are disposable after 4 years. Then you lease a new one and life goes on.

A good analogy would be like a PC. You enjoy it for about 4 years, you throw it out or sell it for peanuts (cuz that's all it'll be worth) and get what's in vogue.

Coincidentally, I feel the same about many women...

Last edited by CLFREAK; 02-19-2007 at 03:03 AM.