CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Need Help - Please (Air Mass Sensor)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2007 | 11:36 AM

Need Help - Please (Air Mass Sensor)

Hey everyone.. So my check engine light goes off on me yesterday for the first time on my 2000 CL500.. I take the day off today and take the car in to the local shop. The hook it up to the computer and the guy at the shop tells me it could be one of two things.. Either the Air Mass Sensor is faulty and or the filters need to be changed. After a quick inspection he determined that the filters were fine and it was merely the sensor that needed to be replaced.. He told me it would be about 380 for the sensor and 80 for labor (which I really can't afford at this point).. After doing a quick search i found the Air Mass Sensors online for about $190 plus shipping.

After looking at a picture of the sensor online it seems like the sensor is really plug and play like and now I'm considering just swapping the sensor myself. (I know, it sounds a bit crazy). I've never done anything like this before so I don't know where the sensor is and if it is really as easy as it looks.. I'm hoping someone here can give me some helpful tips or advice on how to swap the sensor, where it is, etc.. I guess I'm looking for a step by step tutorial on how this is done (maybe some pictures?).. I know I'm asking for a lot, I just don't want to be out of a car for the next 2 to 3 weeks until I can save and get this problem fixed if I really do have to pay the $460 . I would really appreciate it if you could give me some tips or advice. If you think it's a bad idea and that I shouldn't touch it, please let me know and I won't.. It just looked rather simple enough to do myself.

Please feel free to respond here or email me directly at: cthoughts1@tmail.com with any information that may be helpful.

Thanks!
-DA
Old 07-10-2007 | 08:58 PM

hey its not too much

but try asking here
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w215-cl-class/

they have about 4 times the traffic.

I can usually search anything in a nice forum and get the answer, but am too lazy to help you out more.

good luck
Old 07-10-2007 | 09:06 PM

Thanks a bunch, I took your advice and tried posting there..
Old 07-10-2007 | 11:27 PM

and not to get you so paranoid

but my dad's 1999 500SL was given the same diagnosis 6 months ago. Well, just like you we arent keen on just buying parts so we reset the code with our $50 code resetter we bought on Amazon. Then we disconnected the battery for 3 hours just to make sure.

THe car passed inspections and we have not seen the code light up again. This is not to say you dont need your part but a nice amount of skepticism on ANYTHING that ANYONE tells you is good.
with that logic though, you shouldnt believe what I just wrote
Old 07-12-2007 | 10:45 PM

Just to toss my $.02 in here, before you spend any $$ on another sensor, you may just need to clean the actual MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor.

Over the course of time, these MAF's get debris & junk on the electrical contacts (which is the actual sensor). If the voltage level/electrical current going through the sensor alters/dips/responds with a non-acceptable voltage parameter due to that debris build up....you get the corresponding CEL (Check Engine Light).

If you go to a local electronic parts store, ala Radio Shack, they usually sell an electric parts cleaner (aerosol can w/ a small tube attachment) that will safely do the job. Just spray this directly onto the electrical connections of the MAF (note: you should disconnect the battery before removing the MAF to attempt the cleaning; Now that I think about it, even before cleaning, visually inspect the sensor and remove any pieces/remnants potentially lodged in the sensor due to filter degradation).

After a good clean, reinstall the MAF & reconnect the battery afterward (note: I'm assuming that about 40 min - 1 hr has passed during this entire process prior to reconnecting your battery) and you should be good to go.

Now, of course, I, nor anyone, can not say with 100% certainty that your CEL is directly tied to a simply dirty MAF, but you would probably want to spend $3-$5 for a solution in a can rather than potentially tossing away more dough unnecessarily. I've been in the import performance "manufacturing" scene for years & have seen this MAF malfunction a plethora of times (plethora= numerous), but I would be crazy if I did not say that this recommendation is nothing more than just that.

You, the vehicle owner, must take anyone's technical diagnosis and/or remedy(ies) under your own advisement. As a disclaimer, always consult your Dealer.

Peace & be well.

Last edited by lexlyf; 07-12-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2007 | 07:27 PM

Thanks a million for all your help and advice.. Oddly enough the CEL went off by itself.. lol.. Could it be the heat that made it go on in the first place? The day the light went on it was about 100+ degrees (in NYC).. Now the temp is back down to about 80-90 and poof no more CEL. These cars are like women (no offense ladies) one second your loving them, the next second they're giving you a head ache, and the second after that your back to loving them.. Anyhow thanks again everyone..