CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

sleep among the clouds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Cl 500
I'm with Jay, its not a Problem, or a Malfunction, just a simple occurrence.

you guys that are calling the "problems" flag out on us need to spend more time fooling around with the girlfriend in the parking lot behind the mall instead of jumping in and jumping outa the car.

lol

ALi
Old 12-29-2007, 11:38 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2001 Mercedes CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
Originally Posted by BlownV8
If the car is falling after being parked, it may be common but these cars can be plagued with ABC issues. There has got to be a leak in a control block or hydraulic shock for the car to "leak down." If you are under warranty, get it fixed because if you wait the problems will be very expensive to fix and will multiply like falling dominos.

Usually the system gets metal particles in the lines and control blocks from the pump. The little pieces of metal get caught around the seals and eventually the little pieces of metal will take out the pump. Once the pump fails, it will introduce a lot more metal into the system that is very hard to get out and will take multiple flushes to get the system clean, If the system is not completely clean, you will take out another pump and you will have all the other issues related to the failed pump.
Excellent explanation. Thank You

Ali might call it a "simple occurrence" I call it a "problem". Mercedes should have tested it a few more years and perfect it before putting it into production. ( According to Mercedes the first design sketch for this system was done on February 2nd 1978 -the first research vehicle was produced in 1987)
Old 12-30-2007, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
Originally Posted by Jay9722
Will somebody please go start your car and sit in it at idle for about 15 minutes and verify this. Keep the ABC on standard mode(no lights on). I'm telling you that this is not a problem...Goliath and I cannot have the same fault with our vehicles. And it isn't a drop...it's a very controlled settling...almost the same as if you set the car height to its highest and then pushed the ABC button to lower it. I have 20's on my car and there is no issue of rubbing whatsoever at anytime.
As I mentioned above, it's not the ABC switch that controls this function. It is the "Level Control" switch, the switch with the picture of the car with an arrow pointing up.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by calgary
The problem discussed earlier was the settling of the car BELOW the normal setting, after being parked. It is not a sudden drop.The red warning light might advise you:
DO NOT DRIVE or DRIVE SLOWLY. This is a problem, not an intended function, I am sure. As soon as the running engine creates enough pressure in the ABC system, it raises the suspension to the selected setting (of the three available) If it does not raise the car, you have a serious - and very expensive - problem.
Calgary, there are 2 separate items being discussed here as the same issue, the ABC function and the Level Control function. You are referring to a drop over time with the car parked, and other guys are talking about a sharp drop at idle. The first is an ABC issue and the other is Level Control issue.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For those wondering whether or not they have a problem concerning the above, MB headquarters in NJ has a tech line where you can speak to a MB tech. Call 1-800-for-merc and ask for the tech dept. Here's hoping you have no problems.