BUYING A 2002 CL500 NEED PROBLEM ADVICE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BENZ
BUYING A 2002 CL500 NEED PROBLEM ADVICE

Hi all
after thinking about a CLK55 and tesing a S430 I have decided on the beauty a CL500

Any problems i should look out for? how is the maintenace factor? heavy? reliability ok?
lots of recalls and problems?
should i just go for it or avoid it?
also silver or black I am torn?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2008, 11:09 PM

I have one....

that I am selling. I can tell you that the car is an absolute beauty, I actually love it. Issues with the car in general are discussed at length here. I personally have not had issues with my car, just B-Service, A-Service, a rear alignment job and I have to get brakes done for the front, nothing that would not happen with any other car. That being said.....

These cars are expensive to fix so you better beware. Anything not under warranty that breaks will break you. Nothing is cheap on this car, $300-$500 tune ups, $300-$600 brake jobs, the list can go on and on.

Look, get the car and you will love it, I just need AWD now and really the only reason I am selling mine.

Rippey

As for problems, ABC, electronic gremlins, get a Car Fax are things to look for, get a warranty (either from the dealer or somewhere else).
Old 11-03-2008, 01:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
+1. What he said^

I'm hoping you're the DIY type. Makes for a much cheaper ownership experience. If not, find yourself a reputable independent MB mechanic.

.....and most importantly, enjoy the drive!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:20 AM

C32 AMG, CL500, Jag StypeR, SLK200, Aygo, Audi TT
Check ALL my threads mate and you will see ALL the thinsg that go wrong with the CL.

Ive just had my ABC pump done - dealer took from 9am to 6pm to do the job and then add the price of teh pump £1000+ - its not cheap by any means.

The best advice I can give is GET A WARRENTY. And I would edefinately not buy from joe bloggs down the road no matter how well the car has been looked after. Its too risky. one minute the car is fantastic - within minutes you are looking at a hugh bill!

I bought from Mercedes with a 2 year Tier 1 warrenty - covers everything. I am one year in and already the car has had 12K worth of work done. I for one wouldnt have had 12K sitting around in a year to fix the problems. These included:

abc PUMP FAILURE
Both heated seats packed up
CANBUS wiring failure - no sat nav
HT leads and coil packs failure
elec seat failure (various switches needed replacing costing £4000 approx)

Ther have been smaller issues which I cant remember but teh above is enough to be getting on with for 12 months

And add onto that the terrible Mercedes Customer Service