SAM unit blown during alternator recall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500
SAM unit blown during alternator recall

Hi All

Went to take my 2002 CL500 in for an A service-was told by the dealer that a recall had been issued on the alternator---several hours later they phone me up to tell me that while changing the alternator they blew the SAM control unit and need to get a replacement from Germany!!! Anyone experienced this-car was running prefectly with only 47k on the clock before. Does anyone know what the SAM unit control and is it simple enough to change out?
thx in advance for any replies
Mark
Old 03-02-2009, 07:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Welcome to the forum. Are they covering this repair since they caused the damage?

The SAM is located under the rear seat if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure if it requires a SDS reprogram when replacing or not. Either way, they should be covering this repair if they broke it.

Do a search on SAM for more info. Good luck!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:22 PM

2001 cl500
hello. its funny that you are talking about this, because i just brought a 2001 cl500. the check engine light was on. it says secondary air motor. i did some test. putting direct power to the secondary air pump it works. also my left turn signal will not work. not the bulb, not no wring problem. a trusted mercedes mechanic was helping with all this. he said that there is no power on the left side. this may also be the cause of no left turn signal. he has a star dig. he told me to take it to the dealer to get my left sam computer checked out, let them know what we did already to save money, so they wont spend alot of time checking the motor that works. my question is, what do the left sam computer control. do my left sam computer sound like the issue? have not been to stealership yet. what do youall think? thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 02:08 AM

CL500
Thanks All

Yes they are covering the cost but it means the car is out of action for a week while they wait on spares coming from Germany!! Meanwhile they have given me a diesel A type!
Old 03-09-2009, 07:00 AM

2001 cl500
front sam bad

my front sam ended up being bad. it caused the check engine light to come on with a air injection motor code.