CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Light sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500
Light sensor

Does anyone know what that is and what it does? That light came on and under it it said to visit workshop, i turned the car off and on and then it disappeared anyone have an idea what that is?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:50 PM

CLK63 BS
Maybe for the auto setting on the headlamps? That's my best guess.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 PM

02 ML320
the light sensor if for you auto headlights, hovever, when that message comes up it usually means you have a week battery or bad alternator. if your battery and alternator are good then you might have a bad rain/light sensor
Old 09-11-2009, 12:23 AM

CL500
Originally Posted by ofhs85
the light sensor if for you auto headlights, hovever, when that message comes up it usually means you have a week battery or bad alternator. if your battery and alternator are good then you might have a bad rain/light sensor
thanks guys, if the light sensor doesnt work will the rain sensor work, or if one doesnt work then the other wont because i dont get the message anymore and the lights turned on automatically tonight?
Old 09-30-2010, 03:57 PM

CL500
Light Sensor Visit Workshop - Did you do anything to the Overhead Console?

When or if you remove the overhead console, and remove the 5 electrical plugs, then reinstall the electrical plugs, you need to pay special attention to the second plug in from the left. It is the one with a light gray swing clip on it that you pull to the left to cause the plug to slide itself out. When plugging it back in, if you just plug it in and move the lever back to the right, it will not seat itself all the way back in.

It might look and feel like it is connected, but trust me it is not.

You will receive an error or malfunction warning saying “ Light Sensor Visit Workshop”, and it will cause 3 issues:
1. The headlights will stay on when in AUTO mode on the light switch, no matter if it is day or night.
2. The automatic headlight delayed shut off will not work in Auto mode, the lights just turn off when you turn off the key instead of having a delayed turn off.
3. The Rain Sensing wipers will not work in the first click position, they just act as intermittent wipers wiping every 5 seconds no matter how much rain comes down.

YOU MUST push in that second plug until it clicks in, then pull the lever back to the right to lock it in place. You will see on the black part of the plug a half circle tract that the light gray clip follows. The left side of that half circle must be right up against the module you are plugging into.

This was a nightmare for me that took several steps to diagnose, and I removed and installed that stupid plug about 20 times, but each time it felt seated when it clicked into place. I figured it out by removing the light gray slide lock from the plug, then plugging in, and it went all the way in and no malfunctions were reported. I re-installed the little light gray clip, and pushed real hard until it clicked into place, then at that time I moved the lever back to the right to lock it in place. Everything works great now, no malfunctions.

Hope this helps someone else.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 138 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Originally Posted by 2003-cl500
When or if you remove the overhead console, and remove the 5 electrical plugs, then reinstall the electrical plugs, you need to pay special attention to the second plug in from the left. It is the one with a light gray swing clip on it that you pull to the left to cause the plug to slide itself out. When plugging it back in, if you just plug it in and move the lever back to the right, it will not seat itself all the way back in.

It might look and feel like it is connected, but trust me it is not.

You will receive an error or malfunction warning saying “ Light Sensor Visit Workshop”, and it will cause 3 issues:
1. The headlights will stay on when in AUTO mode on the light switch, no matter if it is day or night.
2. The automatic headlight delayed shut off will not work in Auto mode, the lights just turn off when you turn off the key instead of having a delayed turn off.
3. The Rain Sensing wipers will not work in the first click position, they just act as intermittent wipers wiping every 5 seconds no matter how much rain comes down.

YOU MUST push in that second plug until it clicks in, then pull the lever back to the right to lock it in place. You will see on the black part of the plug a half circle tract that the light gray clip follows. The left side of that half circle must be right up against the module you are plugging into.

This was a nightmare for me that took several steps to diagnose, and I removed and installed that stupid plug about 20 times, but each time it felt seated when it clicked into place. I figured it out by removing the light gray slide lock from the plug, then plugging in, and it went all the way in and no malfunctions were reported. I re-installed the little light gray clip, and pushed real hard until it clicked into place, then at that time I moved the lever back to the right to lock it in place. Everything works great now, no malfunctions.

Hope this helps someone else.
im trying to do what you describe, but cant seem to hear the "click" no matter how hard i press on the button before switching the lever. it seems the plug wont fully seat without the lever being pushed to the right. rain sensor/auto headlights dont work
Old 04-21-2021, 04:18 AM

2004 SL500, 2014 S550
I have a 04 Sl500, but the overhead console is very similar and I'm experiencing the same issue. I just can't seem to get this connector to go in without the lever snapping prematurely. But then, it's too late and won't push in any further. Any suggestions?