CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

cl600 vs sl55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
with great fury.
cl600 vs sl55

I know this may be a no-brainer to some, or odd... but the cl600 and the sl55 are what I've narrowed it down to. What strikes me about the SL is the out-of-the-ordinary styling, and AMG badges. What may steer me away is brittle ride, noisy ride, or the interior just doesn't please me as much as the luxury cruiser- the cl 600.

Prices for the sl are considerably higher, and while it has no back seat (which isn't a concern), I would just like to hear opinions and views.

I'm NOT looking to tune!!!!!!! If that's what you're thinking, anyone with a brain stem could figure the 600 is better.

Thanks for your interest!
Old 12-30-2009, 04:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
interior and even many exterior components are way better on CL IMO. Way nicer interior. IMO also the 600's are faster than the 55's.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
For some of us, there's a lot of joy to be found in driving with the top down on a nice day. For everyone else, a fixed roof vehicle saves quite a bit of weight and is quieter as well. Since you don't seem to be looking for a top down driving experience, a W215 would seem a better fit for you than an R230.

As you've mentioned, the 600TT engine makes more power out of the factory than a 55K engine, so anyone looking for better acceleration without modding would be happier with the 600TT.

In terms of modified engines, the chief advantage to the 600TT is that it's easier and cheaper to mod. However the ultimate performance level of both engines is actually pretty similar because the 600TT has only a 1% displacement advantage over the 55K, 5.513L versus 5.439. As a result, the fastest modified 55K cars pretty much hold their own against the fastest modified 600TT cars, e.g. the SL55 list on Dragtimes (http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...ag-Racing.html) compared to the SL600 list on Dragtimes (http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...ag-Racing.html).

Enjoy your car search! It's great to be choosing between a CL600 and SL55!

BTW, in addition to the SL55 you might also look at the SL600 with the AMG body kit. It would have everything you liked about the 600TT engine with everything you liked about the SL55's looks. It's a nice car.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes!
Well, it depends on preference. I think a better comparison would be a SL600 versus a CL600, or a SL55 versus a CL55. If this was the case, the only thing in common would be the engine and some gadgetry (a simplification).

Personally, I would take a CL600, or even better a CL65 AMG over any of the SL's. A CL-Class car is a grand tourer (GT) and technically, a 2-door sedan because of the cubic capacity. It's designed for long, comfortable driving (hence GT) with power at your disposal. On the other hand, the SL-Class is a hard-top convertible roadster. The design and conception is more geared towards performance, I think. With a GT, you sacrifice space for performance because there's hardly any room, if any, in the back. This is what I felt when I sat in a SL.

Therefore, I would recommend sitting and driving both to come to a better judgment. Hope this helps. I'm sure more knowledgeable people can give you a better idea as well.