ABC problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2001, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
ABC problems?

Do any CL owners have past experiences with problems concerning the ABC? Nearly ALL of the CL's I have worked on, excluding normal maintenance items, have been problems with the Active Body Control. Items like fluid leaks, car sitting too low, car sitting lop-sided, ABC malfunction light coming on, etc.
Old 11-17-2001, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
My ABC has been flawless. I love how flat the car corners.

Here is a DTB (I'm sure you have seen it) regarding some ABC problems in 2002 models...

DTB
Date: August 23, 2001
Order No.: P-B-32.50/5
Supersedes:
Group: 32
SUBJECT: Models: All S55/S600V vehicles beginning with serial number A228578
All CL500/CL55/CL600 vehicles beginning with serial number A018300
S430V/S500V vehicles beginning with serial number A228578 with
ABC, Option Code 487
ABC Erratic Behavior
For vehicles that begin in the described VIN range, please inspect for an orange decal marked "ABC" located
on the left front “A” pillar near the door hinge. If the vehicle does not have this indication, please follow the
procedure outlined below.
ABC System Function Test:
· Vehicle engine at operating temperature
· Connect DAS (Version 8 plus Patch CD delivered with Version 8 on approximately 08/21/01) and access
the ABC system
· Read and record DTC data for Warranty Claim text field
· Erase all DTC’s in the ABC system
· Enter into “Actuations Menu”
· Enter into “Regelventiltest”
· Conduct this test 5 consecutive times
· Back out to “Actuations” and enter into “Wanken”
· Enter “Wanken” program by pressing the F3 key.
· Observe all four struts while the “Wanken” program is running.
· If one or more corners are not moving, stop the program by pressing the F4 key and return to the
“Regelventiltest”. Conduct the “Regelventiletest 5 consecutive times and then return to this test and
run it in its entirety, approx. 15 min.
· Back out to “Actuations” and enter into “Nicken”
· Enter “Nicken” program by pressing the F3 key.
· Observe all four struts while the “Nicken” program is running.
· If one or more corners are not moving, stop the program by pressing the F4 key and return to the
“Regelventiltest”. Conduct the “Regelventiletest 5 consecutive times and then return to this test and
run it in its entirety, approx. 15 min.
· Back out to “Actuations” and enter into “Rodeo”
Old 11-17-2001, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Yes, I have seen that, and have done it several times. It applies to 2001 models also. There is actually more to it than that, before the activations, we are supposed to flush the fluid out of the system and change the filter. It's a hit at the shop. On the "Nicken" mode, the car sits there and rocks from side to side at full suspension travel, all by itself. Then on "Wanken", the car will pitch forward and backward, again at full suspension travel, by itself. Under "Rodeo", the car does a rolling motion, where it wobbles around from left front to left rear to right rear to right front. It's quite amusing, actually.
Old 11-17-2001, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
I'd like to see that ! It's great to have you here. You possess a wealth of information that comes in handy !

Have you messed around with the 'Norway' settings ? Supposedly you can make the arming and disarming of the factory alarm audible via it...
Old 11-17-2001, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
I have seen the option to chirp the horn, but to be honest, I have never done it. I will have to try it out next time I play with a 215 or 220. I probably won't be able to leave it that way though, they're not supposed to be for use in the USA. Who knows what myriad of fault codes the damn thing will set! But it'll be interesting to try.
Old 11-17-2001, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Several owners on the 'C' forum have had their service dept's set this up for them. Supposedly it works well. Don't know what fault codes may happen. I usually don't tell anyone how to enter the Diag. screen in the COMAND system or the Diag. mode in the A/C system since I don't want to be at fault if they screw something up or erase their DTC codes.....
Old 11-18-2001, 02:13 AM
dJh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ABC ISSUES ON THREE CL55'S!

I have had Three! no bull****! Three 2002 CL55's collapse on me due to ABC problems. The last car that failed was shipped to me directly from the MB tech center in Jacksonville and was supposed to be working flawless. It is now on it's way back to Jacksonville due to an ABC collapse that occured at about 50 MPH. The car came down and Shredded the rear tires.

I have since given up and asked my Atlanta Dealer to issue me a full refund for the car. For $118,000.00 the repeated failures of the ABC system are just unacceptable! I am now looking at getting a new 2003 7 series instead.
Old 11-18-2001, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Woah ! 3 Cars had the same problem.... ?!?!? That's down right scarey .. Luckily I have not had a single problem. I wonder if there was a bad batch of product that was/has been causing these problems.
Old 11-18-2001, 10:22 AM
dJh

Unhappy ABC ISSUES ON THREE CL55'S!

I have heard from the tech's that the issues did not arise untill the 2002 models. MB keeps saying that they did not change anything, but everyone I spoke to seems to think the issues are a combination of new Fluid for the system and some programming changes. The latest is that the fluid eats away at the valves and pipes of the system causing debris in the mech that eventually clog the shocks. The first solution was for dealers to FLUSH the system and replace the fluid with a new formula. That never worked on any of the cars.
MB has got some serious issues that need addressed, They seem more occupied with keeping a lid on this then fixing it. I also have two friends that are now seeing the same failures in there s55 sedans.
I have owned almost all the AMG cars since 1999 and cannot believe the issues i have had with the so called "flagship"
I do not consider the 2002 s's and cl's safe cars, and would never put my family in one from what i have experienced.

On the other hand, my ML55 and E55 have been Bulletproof!

Last edited by dJh; 11-18-2001 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-27-2001, 02:50 PM

2003 CL55
ABC

I have had no problems with my '02 CL 500 Sport in the 2 months and 4000 miles that I have driven it, but understand from a senior tech at the dealership that metal filings have caused problems with ABC. Apparently, the fix involves purging the system and running the procedure outlined in an eralier post where the system cycles through side-to-side, front-to-back and rocking motions for about 45 minutes. What I do not understand is that if metal filings are causing the problem with the hydraulic system, they do not automatically replace the parts associated with the hyrdaulic components of ABC.
ABC in the sport mode in particular is quite impressive, as the wheels stay planted in corners and over uneven pavement, even during braking, which I obviously avoid in corners. In either mode the car handles rough surfaces better than any that I have driven. However, faulty suspension is obviously very dangerous. Has anyone who has experienced failure of ABC seen signs or gotten an eraly warning from the car's warning system before failure?
Old 11-28-2001, 07:30 PM

cl 500
I own a mid production year 2000 CL 500.

Luckily, I've only seen my ABC warning light come up a few times without any detectable change in suspension. Probably a false warning. This was fixed at the dealer along with a false engine oil warning and other warnings.

On one occassion immediately following turning off the engine, I felt the car drop in the rear momentarily.

Before I purchased my car I asked several executives in charge of the CL in Germany about the reliability of the ABC. I was really concerned about "bugs" in the system.

They reassured me that this was a system that Mercedes was commited to for the future.

The fact that the ABC is now being featured in the S class sedans and the new SL should confirm MB's commitment to the ABC system.

For the driver of the CL55 2002 model year, why not try a 2003 CL 500. Maybe the AMG version has some strange errors. At least get a rain check for one in 2003.

I really don't think that the problem you had is final.

I love my CL500 and I am going to get a new SL with ABC when they arrive in the US. I think the two will make a good pair; one for open air sporty driving and the other for touring.

Good Luck!

My 2000 CL500 has 38,000 miles

Last edited by mwcmd; 11-28-2001 at 07:34 PM.