CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

ABC Self Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 S500 4matic, 2004 CL55 AMG, 1986 560SEC
ABC Self Maintenance?

I apologize if this topic has been beaten to death but I am looking for a straight response to a specific question.

My 2004 CL55 has the popular 'one corner drop' when the car is parked for more than 6-8 hours. It's the right rear in my case-
The ABC system is tight, no leaks at any of the valves/fittings or struts, the pump checks out and I just had the ABC flush/Rodeo performed with no change in behavior.
The fluid wasn't overly dirty from the flush so I believe the system is sound for the most part and it appears I will need to replace the rear valve block to get rid of my 'nuisance' droop.

My question:
Can I replace the valve block in my garage (I can buy the parts wholesale and getting to the rear valve block is easy) and be able to have the car drivable enough to get it back to the shop (about 15 miles) to perform another flush/Rodeo?
Since I have the tools and my labor costs me nothing, I figure I can save myself a chunk of change buy replacing the valve myself-
Unfortunately, I don't have Star Diagnostics to perform the Rodeo so I would still need to have that done at the shop.

Has anyone attempted this?
Will the system build up enough pressure to lift the car or does the air need to be bled out somehow?
Can this be done in my garage?

Any advice, comments or war stories would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Elm
Old 05-02-2010, 07:37 PM

I take it no one does their own work on these cars?
Old 05-02-2010, 11:44 PM

CLK63 BS
You won't be saving much... especially on a rear valve block. It's a .5 hour job according to the book. That's on average 45-60 bucks saved? Find a shop that will get you a great price on one, or that will let you bring your own and have them do it.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
The system has to be bled when air is introduced. There's many threads on the ABC subject so do a search on this forum and other MB forums.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:48 AM

CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
The system has to be bled when air is introduced. There's many threads on the ABC subject so do a search on this forum and other MB forums.
Correct. Unless you do the bleed/rodeo yourself, air will be in the lines for that drive...your pump will not like that.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by fatmike
You won't be saving much... especially on a rear valve block. It's a .5 hour job according to the book. That's on average 45-60 bucks saved? Find a shop that will get you a great price on one, or that will let you bring your own and have them do it.
If it were only $60 or even $260 labor, I wouldn't even entertain the idea.
Unfortunately, I can't find anyone that will replace it for the .5 hours you claim- Most of the quotes I've been getting are between $1800 - $2000 parts and labor (and $1220 of that is the valve itself @ list price).

Since my labor rate is zero and I'm in no hurry, I can do this myself for roughly half what I've been quoted.
Paying a couple hunderd bucks to have it done is a lot different than $800-$900. Especially now that I know it's only a 1/2 hour job and all I need to figure out is how to bleed the thing when I'm done.

I appreciate everyones input and comments.
Thanks!
Elm
Old 05-03-2010, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ezobens
Unfortunately, I can't find anyone that will replace it for the .5 hours you claim- Most of the quotes I've been getting are between $1800 - $2000 parts and labor (and $1220 of that is the valve itself @ list price).

Since my labor rate is zero and I'm in no hurry, I can do this myself for roughly half what I've been quoted.
Paying a couple hunderd bucks to have it done is a lot different than $800-$900. Especially now that I know it's only a 1/2 hour job and all I need to figure out is how to bleed the thing when I'm done.

Thanks!
Elm
I don't believe you have to do the rodeo. There are bleeder valves on the system to do the procedure. As I mentioned, there are tons of info on these forums regarding the ABC system. Also, you can purchase the MB DVD shop manual by calling 800-for-merc. It's under $100 and well worth it.

Trending Topics

Old 05-03-2010, 03:02 PM

Jud,
Thanks for the info.
I do have the Star DVD for this car so I guess I need to do some closer reading ;-)
Since I just had the Rodeo done last week and the system was flushed, I really shouldn't need it again if I can bleed the system myself.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:29 PM

CLK63 BS

Thanks!
Elm
What I was saying it that the actual changing of the part is only a 30 minute job. I just had mine done, it was 1800. Only 30 min of the labor was for changing out the part, the rest was the bleed and rodeo. In fact, parts: valve, fluid and filter added up to about 1500 to 1600. What I meant is that it wouldn't be worth risking air in the lines if you changed the part yourself without bleeding the lines. no matter what you do good luck!
Old 05-03-2010, 08:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Ran SRT-10,2007 S550,2016 E400c
There will be air.. You will be talking a chance of it getting to the pump.

Also the bleeder screws onm the lines near the struts are not for bleeding the system.. lots of people mistake that.. they are for exchanging the fluid in the system.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just read the MB procedure for changing an ABC part requiring the system to be opened introducing air. Rodeo is not required. After replacing the defective part, procedure calls for checking the reservoir and adding fluid if necessary. Engine is then started and vehicle level control button should be pressed repeatedly 10-20 times. Fluid level should continue to be checked. This info is in your MB dvd shop manual. The above post is correct stating that the bleeder screws are not used for bleeding.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:26 PM

I just read the MB procedure for changing an ABC part requiring the system to be opened introducing air. Rodeo is not required. After replacing the defective part, procedure calls for checking the reservoir and adding fluid if necessary. Engine is then started and vehicle level control button should be pressed repeatedly 10-20 times. Fluid level should continue to be checked. This info is in your MB dvd shop manual. The above post is correct stating that the bleeder screws are not used for bleeding.
OK-
So let me get this straight.
I don't need to open ANYTHING to bleed this system?
After I replace the valve, all I need to do is raise/lower the car a bunch of times while ensuring the reservoir remains full?
I guess any air comes back via the return line to the reservoir.

This sounds easier all the time-
Cleanliness and attention to detail seem to be the keys here (and ensuring the reservoir doesn't empty itself in the process).
Thanks again!
Elm
Old 05-04-2010, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK-
After I replace the valve, all I need to do is raise/lower the car a bunch of times while ensuring the reservoir remains full?

Cleanliness and attention to detail seem to be the keys here (and ensuring the reservoir doesn't empty itself in the process).
Thanks again!
Elm
Sounds like you're on the right track. Read your DVD...it's all in there.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
CL600
Sounds like you're on the right track. Read your DVD...it's all in there.
Hey Jud, are you talking about the WIS program when you say DVD, because I dont find the WIS system to be very informative?

Sorry for the hijacking

David
Old 05-06-2010, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by duhdenmark
Hey Jud, are you talking about the WIS program when you say DVD, because I dont find the WIS system to be very informative?

Sorry for the hijacking

David
Hey David, No, they are 2 separate sources, although the DVD (STAR Service Manual Library) is a derivative of WIS. I have both but WIS is not very user friendly while the DVD is. WIS has more info I believe but unless you've been trained on it, it is tough to find something. Neither seem to have much diagnostic info IMO but are packed with procedures and how to's. For example, I tried to find the normal fuel pressure in both the other day but could not do so. At a minimum, anyone wanting info on their CL's or other models should have the DVD. I got mine off Ebay, a copy but seems to work fine, or they can be ordered from MB at 1-800 for-merc (USA headquarters in NJ). When I called a while back, it was about $80 or so shipped. I paid $50 on Ebay. Jud
Old 05-06-2010, 09:08 AM

CL600
Hey David, No, they are 2 separate sources, although the DVD (STAR Service Manual Library) is a derivative of WIS. I have both but WIS is not very user friendly while the DVD is. WIS has more info I believe but unless you've been trained on it, it is tough to find something. Neither seem to have much diagnostic info IMO but are packed with procedures and how to's. For example, I tried to find the normal fuel pressure in both the other day but could not do so. At a minimum, anyone wanting info on their CL's or other models should have the DVD. I got mine off Ebay, a copy but seems to work fine, or they can be ordered from MB at 1-800 for-merc (USA headquarters in NJ). When I called a while back, it was about $80 or so shipped. I paid $50 on Ebay. Jud

Ok that makes it more understandable, I think WIS is not very user friendly, but when I search ebay.com I can only find this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...sQ5fLiterature

And that looks like its WIS or is that the STAR service manual?

Thanks

David
Old 05-06-2010, 11:56 AM

CLK63 BS
Ok that makes it more understandable, I think WIS is not very user friendly, but when I search ebay.com I can only find this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...sQ5fLiterature

And that looks like its WIS or is that the STAR service manual?

Thanks

David
I'd assume its WIS according to the pictures.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 483 Likes on 427 Posts
Mercedes
The mercedes DVD is $19 shipped on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EVERY...sQ5fLiterature
Old 05-18-2010, 02:14 AM

CL600
Originally Posted by tusabes
The mercedes DVD is $19 shipped on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EVERY...sQ5fLiterature

And are you sure its the same as the Star Service Manual?

Thanks for the link!

David
Old 05-19-2010, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 483 Likes on 427 Posts
Mercedes
no but I assume these are burned DVD copies
Old 05-23-2010, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And are you sure its the same as the Star Service Manual?

Thanks for the link!

David
No, David, this is not Star Service Manual. Since it covers many years, I assume it is WIS and a good price if it is. However, WIS is not in any way shape or form user friendly and can be a bear to install. Ask me how I know. I have it and rarely use it as it's very difficult to find what you are looking for. To give you an idea, the user manual for it is around 135 pages. The Star Service DVD for our cars just covers the model 215 and similar model 220 and is ideal for DIYer's and extremely user friendly.

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 05-23-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK-

Thanks again!
Elm
How about an update on your progress?
Old 05-23-2010, 09:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Ran SRT-10,2007 S550,2016 E400c
Correct sir when you replaced a ABC conponent and you have to bleed the first step is to cycle the up down button 10-20 times after you check the fluid level.. The reson most dealers do the rodeo is becuase it ensures all the air is out... even after a good bleed there could be some traped air..

But more important than bleeding probably the most impotant this is never to get air in to the abc pump... If you look in wis ( not sure if its in the dvd) it tells you to prime the res. to get fresh fluid to the pump vanes.. There is a specail tool but i got a trick to do this but if your not carefull you'll blow up the res..