CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

2002 CL500 - Lean on right side

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Does it swap ends, like coming almost all the way around, or just pushes out? I had mine nearly swap ends one time, and it was because the tires were worn almost to cords.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 CL500
the back end just slides out from under. tires have plenty of tread left
Old 12-21-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL 500
Originally Posted by ataie
no leak from the strut - so mine has to be valve block. prices are a little rediculous, so I'm just going to live with it. it's ok if driven every day, but you can see the right front lowered if sits more than ONE freakin day. Love the car, but not sure why mercedes has to do these crap. we also have a 05 BMW 745Li no air shocks, and the car handles and drives excellent. stupid airmatic on S-class and these ABC on CLs & SLs
I also have a CL500 (MY2000). Sounds like a leak in one of the reservoirs.
Most dealers can identify strut leaks, valve block, and pump. But some of the early CL500's have an additional reservoir which goes bad and causes
the tilting. I went to several dealers before one could properly identify and fix the problem.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:41 PM

CL 500
Originally Posted by mf219
the back end just slides out from under. tires have plenty of tread left
I think all CL500s get loose easily under power. Usually the golden triangle illuminates letting you know you've exceed the performance envelope.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:09 AM

CL500
Hi, I know this is a very old post but I was wondering if you ever figured out what was causing the "fish tailing"?
Thanks
Old 04-01-2021, 04:19 PM

Cl500
Love is a V8 MB

Originally Posted by saintz
10 mm difference shouldn't cause much squirm. If you had 285 or 295, I would say that could do it. Never know, though. What brand tires and inflation?

Do you notice it on concrete freeway joints?
I have put big 19s on my cl and its fine you just have to make sure that you do the math correctly keeping wider rears and lower profile rears I have 245 35 R19 Front and 275 30 R19 rears and thats working fine on my 2005 w215 I know that u can't be more than a certain % out or it will mess up lots of stuff on the car I.E traction control, gearbox, ABC I also had the gearbox survived and reset after the wheels upgrade so that it wasn't trying to operate the same way as it was on the smaller wheels the way I was looking at it was it would have to change gears differently on bigger wheels you can reset the gearbox yourself very easily I just had mine survived as a peace of mind job when it was in having someone advisory MOT work done at Mercedes PS don't let just anyone work on the stuff that is limited to MB only like ABC the 9speed gearbox or comand system any electric parts or computer controlled equipment even sensors some cowboys put a ABC sensor on upside down after some repair work I had done under one of the rear arch that had a small amount of aluminium reacting to the paint so the ABC would rise on one side when sat in traffic for over a few minutes people don't understand all the extra equipment that thay have I always use Mercedes with mine even though its now 15 years old but you get 2 years guarantee on parts and labour and to be honest it ant that much more expensive a few hundred quid more I paid but the quality was amazing the car was fully valeted before I got it back and all the stamps in the book look good for resale you can get stuff like valve cover gasket done by anyone or exsaust work but I can do that myself but I just have Mercedes do it anyway thay really help you out when you get to know them plus thay will fix your car even if you don't have the money and let you pay in parts anyway about the tyer size thing you should be ok assuming you have the correct set up I've seen 22s on some cl500s so it's possible whith out problems if done correctly