CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

2002 cl500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mercedes cl500
2002 cl500

I have some issues with my new purchase on this car.
I have a hissing sound behind the streeing console and there is, (to the best i can explain) a airplane wheezing noise that starts when I start the car and increases when i use the gas. I was told the first noise was my heating system and the 'airplane' noise was my air condtioning. Has anyone experienced this noise too?
My trunk doesn't open all the way.
On the drivers side the seal on the door needs repair, is this a job I can do myself?

Thanks

dee cl500
Old 01-10-2011, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Lincoln LS V8
Originally Posted by deecl500
If you cycle through the settings menu, you'll find an option to limit the trunk opening. Check to see if this is enabled.

Last edited by StarPower; 01-10-2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Fix quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CL500 1992 300SE
I have some issues with my new purchase on this car.
I have a hissing sound behind the streeing console and there is, (to the best i can explain) a airplane wheezing noise that starts when I start the car and increases when i use the gas. I was told the first noise was my heating system and the 'airplane' noise was my air condtioning. Has anyone experienced this noise too?
On the drivers side the seal on the door needs repair, is this a job I can do myself?

Thanks

dee cl500
If the sound you are hearing is a 'drone' or 'hum' at throttle tip in up to 2000 rpm, then you likely need a new Pulsation Dampner/Accumulator.

It is an inexpensive and easy fix.

(P/N 220-327-0215 air reservoir) is the part you need. The part cost is less than $200 at the dealer or less online and the labour should be approx. 1 hr.

The Accumulator/Dampner is found under the car towards the front center slightly closer to the passenger side.

DIY: Lift on a hoist.

Let the car suspension settle for 5 minutes before removing the old Dampner. It is advised to bleed off the suspension, but my tech didn't do it.

It is a simple wrench off/on job and should take less than 10 minutes after removing the underbody panels.

Remember to top up the ABC fluid afterwards as you will have a ruptured Dampner and it will have had some fluid trapped within.

Having the dealership do it for you will probably be no more than 1 hr. labour after they have inspected the lines first and then changed the Accumulator/Dampner.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Hi, I have recently bought a 2002 cl500 and there are a few things that concern me. First off i have a busted strut and I needed new control arms that i have replaced but since i had the comtol arm replaced the car sways more. also the streering wheel seems to have some 'give' in it, is this normal?
My car will drop after driving it and putting it in park for about 15 minutes, is this normal or is this in relation to the strut?
I have no sound in the car when i lock it or unlock it. i have no seatbelt sound either.
My trunk opens but not all the way.
I have a hissing noise behind the dashboard , a mechanic told me it was the heatiing system, but I'm not sure and one more thing( lol) there is ( to my best explanation) a airplain wheezing, whistel noise that increases when i push the gas. I was told this noise was the air condtioner.
Steering on this car is somewhat vague. There is a bit of play in the wheel.

If your car drops after 15 minutes, there is definitely a leaking strut. Replacing this (soon) should fix the problem. You want to do this soon, because you're leaking fluid from the strut, and if the tank runs empty, you'll burn the pump out. Look at checking the ABC fluid reservoir (near the front driver's side of the car, small black tank with a dip stick in the cap) and refilling with MB power steering fluid if needed.

Car will not beep when locking/unlocking. This is normal.

Seatbell chime not going off is not normal, but the previous owner may have had it turned off (should be possible using STAR at the dealer).

Do you have the power trunk opener/closer? If so, and it only opens partially, you likely have a leak in the opener. Remove the passenger side trunk trim so you can access the pump (it's under the battery in the trunk). If it's a fast leak, then when you try to close the trunk using the close button, it will spray oil from the piston assembly that closes the trunk. If it's spraying, use some JB Weld or Quick Steel to try to patch the leaking hydraulic coupling (or replace the whole unit). If it's not actively leaking, remove the pump from under the battery, remove the cap from the side of the pump, refill with oil (I used power steering oil) and try closing the trunk a few times. You may need to refill with oil more than once. Once it works, put everything back together.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mercedes cl500
Originally Posted by Ifari
If the sound you are hearing is a 'drone' or 'hum' at throttle tip in up to 2000 rpm, then you likely need a new Pulsation Dampner/Accumulator.

It is an inexpensive and easy fix.

(P/N 220-327-0215 air reservoir) is the part you need. The part cost is less than $200 at the dealer or less online and the labour should be approx. 1 hr.

The Accumulator/Dampner is found under the car towards the front center slightly closer to the passenger side.

DIY: Lift on a hoist.

Let the car suspension settle for 5 minutes before removing the old Dampner. It is advised to bleed off the suspension, but my tech didn't do it.

It is a simple wrench off/on job and should take less than 10 minutes after removing the underbody panels.

Remember to top up the ABC fluid afterwards as you will have a ruptured Dampner and it will have had some fluid trapped within.

Having the dealership do it for you will probably be no more than 1 hr. labour after they have inspected the lines first and then changed the Accumulator/Dampner.
Thank you , this helped me out a lot!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Ifari (10-23-2023)
Old 04-19-2011, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 cl500 sport
I am also experiencing a droning sound for the first 5 seconds after start up.