CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Pothole - 1 Cracked Rim/Tire, Check Engine Light, and Headlight Flickers, Vibrations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'00 RENNtech CL60, '96 850Ci, '92 850i '01 Discovery II
Exclamation Pothole - 1 Cracked Rim/Tire, Check Engine Light, and Headlight Flickers, Vibrations

I had a depressing weekend in the CL in Colorado. I was driving down a street a drive 3 times a day and it's a 45 mph street, the CDOT (Road Construction) geniuses added 2 what seem to be temporary massive humps or vehicle launching ramps lol on to the road. my CL was on the lowest setting (RENNtech lowering module and links). and I impacted the first very large hump and the car bottomed out in the middle sending me almost airborn and then it impacted the second hump about 15 feet after... then it was followed by a extremely large pothole... this is was killed the rim, it hit the car so hard I knew I wouldn't be making it home on it's own. Within seconds my front left wheel started vibrating familiarly indicating I blew out a tire...

I pulled over and noticed a bend and a crack in the rim and a flat tire (19" AMG's), while waiting for the tow truck to arrive. I got the CL home after waiting almost 2 hours for a tow and proceeded to install a different set of rims thinking that was all that was needed, boy was I wrong. After installing the different set i took it for a test drive and noticed my left headlight turning on and off by itself.. and it doesnt seem to be aimed properly,wonderful I thought to myself... then minutes later the Check Engine Light proceeded to come on. looool

I had the codes ran at my local auto parts store and it's reading the O2 Sensors are having issues indicating an exhaust leak... the car is driving normally and the final test was taking it on the highway when I took it a little past 70 mph and noticed a slight vibration and when you apply the brakes the pedal now vibrates.

I'm at a loss for words here, I called CDOT and filed a complaint and a claim with them and my insurance as well. I am not going to let these guys go until the the CL is 100% again. Just in time for better weather and the CL is out... makes me so sad. A few questions i had are; what should I be checking for damages from the described and how do i go about making sure the suspensions is working properly? any comments and suggestions are welcomed!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
What a very unfortunate happening and I know how you must feel. I don't know if you plan on repairing the car yourself or having it professionally done. In any event, if I were you, I would take it to the stealer for a complete repair estimate since it is covered by insurance. You'll need it anyway to submit to your insurance company. Good luck and try to look at the bright side...you are still in one piece.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:58 PM

i'm having it taken to my body shop in about 30 mins to get a proper estimate on the parts needed. I will let them take care of it as they are used to working on high end cars and have always treated me very well in the past. I think i might use your idea and have my body shop have the car taken to Mercedes of Denver to get a complete run down of whats going on with the car.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 160 Posts
SL55, S500
WOW, update?

What kind of hump/ramp did they place? any pictures
Old 02-23-2011, 01:05 AM

I got the initial claim from the insurance, and they will be paying to have it taken to the dealer for alignment to see if there is any bent items and the rest of the vehicle.