CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Tiptronic CL55 AMG steering wheel fitting to CL500?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500
Tiptronic CL55 AMG steering wheel fitting to CL500?

Hi,

I want to replace my 2000 CL500's wood/leather steering wheel with an AMG CL55 ('00-'02) leather wheel. The one I've bought has the front and rear switches for the tiptronic shift. Can I make these switches work with my CL500 auto/tiptronic shifter? I looked through the Mercedes EPC and it seems all W215 models use the same clock-spring under the wheel so I'm assuming I can run a connection from the clock-spring connector plug to somewhere possibly the tiptronic switches on the shifter module?

The WIS schematics show the steering wheel shifter switches going through the clock-spring and into the steering column module.

Anyone done this conversion or have any thoughts, thanks guys.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
I recently pulled the wheel off my CL600. There are no wires that I could see going down the steering column to plug into. There has to be a contact somewhere that you could wire it to, but I don't know where. Does EPC show the wiring for the CL55 in the column?
Old 02-23-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500
The wiring for the horn, airbag and tiptronic control all goto a multiplug that fits into the clock-spring on the steering column. A loom then exits the back of the clock-spring to the column control module. I suspect there are spare pins on the multiplug that could be used to carry the signal through the clock-spring out to the shifter module if a hard-wired solution is the only answer.

Here is the steering wheel, I can see one plug but I will know more later when I pick it up later today, you can see the wires coming off the tiptronic switches. EPC doesn't show much.