CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Stainless Steel Door Trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 CL500
Stainless Steel Door Trim

I posted this in the Care & Detailing Thread but, had no luck in getting a response. I thought some of you W215 owners may know.

I have the Mirror Polished Stainless Steel Trim on the outer side of each door as well as the bottom sill where the door meets the car.

The sides are fine but, the bottoms have some pretty significant scratches. Maybe this is normal wear and tear from getting in and out of the vehicle.

Does anyone know how to safely remove/reduce these scratches and what I should do to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks Guys
Old 09-15-2011, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
I would try a polish of some kind, probably starting with a plastic polish (Meguiars Plast-X), paint polish (Meguiar's Ultimate Compound), and finally a metal polish (perhaps a jewelers cloth or similar). I assume that would buff it out.

To keep it from happening again, I think you're going to have a hard time. Maybe put plastic like contact paper on it and then replace the plastic when it gets scuffed (almost like a cell phone screen protector). I don't think any type of wax would provide sufficient protection.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 CL500
Saintz.....Thank you! Looks like I have a few options to consider.....Ill let you know how it turns out.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Actually, if you wrapped it in vinyl, like 3M carbon fiber, that may be a little more resilient. But if you snag it with a sharp heel, it will tear instead of scratch.
Old 06-17-2024, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c215
Originally Posted by saintz
I would try a polish of some kind, probably starting with a plastic polish (Meguiars Plast-X), paint polish (Meguiar's Ultimate Compound), and finally a metal polish (perhaps a jewelers cloth or similar). I assume that would buff it out.

To keep it from happening again, I think you're going to have a hard time. Maybe put plastic like contact paper on it and then replace the plastic when it gets scuffed (almost like a cell phone screen protector). I don't think any type of wax would provide sufficient protection.
Does anyone know the best and safest way to remove this trim? Particularly the interior one near the seat