CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

HID bulb replacement question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silver MY03 CL500 w/AMG Sport Pkg
HID bulb replacement question...

Hi all. I have a question regarding the HID bulb replacement for the lower headlights on my CL500 MY2003. I know that the HID ballast holds a lot of juice and I am aware of not having the key or my passcard near the car when I work on the headlights.

The question I have is in the process of removing the bulb after disconnecting the ignitor. The black ring that retains the bulb won't budge. Is there any retaining screws or pins that may be keeping the ring from turning counter-clockwise (towards the engine) to remove?

I have a good hand hold on the thing but it just won't turn. I don't want to exert too much pressure as it is plastic and don't want to snap or break it as it is the only thing that holds the bulb. Any help or advise would help as when it comes to the bulb replacement not much info there. And I get that as as far as I thought it was straight forward and the ring should have turned a quarter turn to disengage.

- Stig
Old 01-28-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2001 Mercedes CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
Don't give up on that black ring. Push it forward - towards the lens - while turning it. I know it is a frustrating job, but it can be done.